The Question Has Been Answered

KE30Coupe

For generations people have asked can you remove a 3k cam from a ke30 without removing the engine.....the answer is yes you can.

Oh and do these look like flat top pistons?

piston.jpg

piston1.jpg

Timing Cover is off :(

timing.jpg

Timing Chains are off

cam1.jpg

cam.jpg

cam2.jpg

Now I just gotta put it all back together :thumbsup:

Edited by KE30Coupe

Members dont see this ad

did you take the head off so you could get the cam out???

if so you've done that the hard way.

you can take the lifters out though the spark plug holes, it's a little tricky but is faster than taking the head off.

a little trick for when you put the timing cover back on, take the studs out and replace them with short bolts, makes it alot easy to put the cover on.

I would never doubt that you can take a cam out of a K series motor with the engine still in the car, just a lot of people find it easier to rip the whole engine out so they can work around it.. last time i got someone to correct my slipped timing chain, it turned out i ended up with a bad oil leak because it never sealed quite right..

did you take the head off so you could get the cam out???

if so you've done that the hard way.

you can take the lifters out though the spark plug holes, it's a little tricky but is faster than taking the head off.

a little trick for when you put the timing cover back on, take the studs out and replace them with short bolts, makes it alot easy to put the cover on.

Tricks of your years of rally experience show :thumbsup:

glad it worked :) is that engine still on the mounts too? if so, there's MILES more room between the crossmember in a ke30 than there is in a ke2x

Yep, didnt have to touch the mounts still all bolted in. Grimwolge is correct in that the head came off to change over to a 3k head (was a 4k head :( ) which is being cleaned up.

Grimwolge.......what do you mean marking the timing chain & pulley....I marked the both the cam & crank pulleys but why the chain? Surely it doesnt matter where the chain is :thumbsup: