Gilmer Drive Belt

ok so for wank factor i want to get a gilmer belt drive kit

now ive heard of the negatives of people over tensioning the belt so it whines louder but also can destory bearings quickly

does having the kit at the correct tension still give a whine?

and $530 shipped from NZ a resonable price for the kit?

Members dont see this ad

Never had anything to do with them myself, general consensus in the world of the wide wide web is that you should make sure that they are NOT overtensioned, and they should be fairly loose at idle as the pulleys expand when it warms up, and if overtensioned they break alternators/waterpumps and in general make a horrible mess.

Apparently they don't spit the belt at high revs and they make an interesting noise, those are the reasons for fitting one. I reckon it would probably look really cool on a k motor as nobody seems to have done it, but I myself am the sort of person who would normally only fit something for the practical reasons rather than just asthetics, if that makes sense.

Build a spastic 10,000 rpm race K motor and run a gilmer drive maybe??

From what I've seen on youtube, I'm not too sure that the noise would do a whole lot for me, it would wear off after a while, much the same as a loud BOV, after I've driven it around the block a few times I get sick of hearing it....

Gilmer drive seems to sound (on youtube) just like a noisy alternator bearing.... probably drive me up the wall...

Anyway, thats my 2c worth from someone who has had nothing to do with them. Everybody feel free to correct me on anything!

Robert.

Never had anything to do with them myself, general consensus in the world of the wide wide web is that you should make sure that they are NOT overtensioned, and they should be fairly loose at idle as the pulleys expand when it warms up, and if overtensioned they break alternators/waterpumps and in general make a horrible mess.

Apparently they don't spit the belt at high revs and they make an interesting noise, those are the reasons for fitting one. I reckon it would probably look really cool on a k motor as nobody seems to have done it, but I myself am the sort of person who would normally only fit something for the practical reasons rather than just asthetics, if that makes sense.

Build a spastic 10,000 rpm race K motor and run a gilmer drive maybe??

From what I've seen on youtube, I'm not too sure that the noise would do a whole lot for me, it would wear off after a while, much the same as a loud BOV, after I've driven it around the block a few times I get sick of hearing it....

Gilmer drive seems to sound (on youtube) just like a noisy alternator bearing.... probably drive me up the wall...

Anyway, thats my 2c worth from someone who has had nothing to do with them. Everybody feel free to correct me on anything!

Robert.

I have done it on my 3K engine.... :bash:

They look the bomb..

hows it sound tensioned properly? get sick of it at all?

price ok for what i got quoted?

From what i can tell i have tensioned it tight but not too tight.The belt has teeth on it so there is so much you can stretch it.I

have not operated the engine yet as it still on the stand.

Edited by harun

Myself, harun and WinKE55 for the only 3 aussies who bought kits in the endevour group buy last year.

WinKE55 did have his for sale a few weeks ago. Its cross out in the for sale thread but I don't know if it sold or not. For AUD$350 you'd be stupid not to send him a message and find out if he's still got it.....

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=30781

Because they are a toothed belt you can run bugger all tension. They still make plenty of noise, just not as much as if you over tension them, which as said will just chew out your water pump and alternator bearings.

Also here's a vid of my kit....

And here is a picture of my kit on a NA' 3K.

Taz, hopefully will be on the road by the end of the year. Preparing the KE20 shell for some fresh paint at the moment.

I also could not resist spending some big bucks on some speedflow fittings & braided lines.

post-3063-1245720788_thumb.jpg

post-3063-1245722681_thumb.jpg

Edited by harun

The reason they will chew bearings is because the longer pulley will increase the "leverage" on the pump and alternator shafts. It's not difficult to work it out.

The actual belt itself will have a specific tension value which you should try to use. Toothed belt drives are good because they can transmit much higher power without slipping, and they consume a lot less energy to do so.

Updated previous post....

Are they -8 fuel lines?

-6 would have been plenty big enough, thats all I'm running. No big drama, just you would have spent a little bit more on the bigger fittings.

Only -8 I used was for the turbo oil drain and I'm also about to finish off the oil cooler lines in -8.

Defenitely looking the goods though mate. :bash:

Are they -8 fuel lines?

-6 would have been plenty big enough, thats all I'm running. No big drama, just you would have spent a little bit more on the bigger fittings.

Only -8 I used was for the turbo oil drain and I'm also about to finish off the oil cooler lines in -8.

Defenitely looking the goods though mate. :bash:

They are -8 fuel lines...

And -10 for oil cooler lines...

Myself, harun and WinKE55 for the only 3 aussies who bought kits in the endevour group buy last year.

WinKE55 did have his for sale a few weeks ago. Its cross out in the for sale thread but I don't know if it sold or not. For AUD$350 you'd be stupid not to send him a message and find out if he's still got it.....

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=30781

Because they are a toothed belt you can run bugger all tension. They still make plenty of noise, just not as much as if you over tension them, which as said will just chew out your water pump and alternator bearings.

Also here's a vid of my kit....

called WinKE55 - its sold

so now for $530aud would this be worth buying straight from company?

And here is a picture of my kit on a NA' 3K.

Taz, hopefully will be on the road by the end of the year. Preparing the KE20 shell for some fresh paint at the moment.

I also could not resist spending some big bucks on some speedflow fittings & braided lines.

Looks tuff as mate

what have you done to it?

any internal or head work?

Had already seen Taz's set up on Youtube. That is the shizzle!

Here's a link to an NA 5k with a Gilmer that I had bookmarked:

I share the sentiments of some others though:

1. Once the novelty wore off, the noise would be bloody annoying.

2. There's no real performance gain to be had, other then reduce the likelihood of "throwing belts" when you start buzzing up. That said, if you're losing belts in the first place, it probably means a) you haven't tensioned properly (if you can't tension a drive belt what hope have you got of tensioning a gilmer) or b) Your over-reving the engine (Engine speak for "please sir, stop hurting me").

3. Munch your alternator.

All that aside, DAMN, they sound nice!

I assume that Taz has most likely done a proper job ('cause he's that kind of guy), and I'm guessing hasn't had any problems?

Sam.

Edited by rollapv75