The Great ECU Debate

NickZ

Time for me to speak up....Ive installed 15+ microtechs without problem and installed 3 NEW wolfs 2 with faults from factory...even a direct plug in (came from wolf with factory RX7 ECU plug adapter so no wiring required) for a RX7 that wouldnt even start the car plugged in the standard ecu again and it worked, it been back to wolf 3 times with no fault found but wont work in the car.

I became a microtech dealer because ive never had a issue the there products.

and you get a reply from the tech departmant within 24 hours.

More functions in the ECU the more that can go wrong.

about the only thing the wolf can do extra that you really use is the turbo timer.WOW

All newer microtechs are laptop programable.

Ive got pics coming of my rolla now with a Microtech MTX8 running Multicoil setup and 4age 20V CAS and sequential injection...

Members dont see this ad
More functions in the ECU the more that can go wrong

gosh, don't anyone buy a motec then :(

i don't know anything about wolfs, but i understand the problem with microtechs is that they aren't very clever at adapting to the changing needs of the engine. drive a modified engine for 15000km and it's likely to have slightly changed its' running conditions, and the ecu tune is no longer optimal. so you need to spend $400 again having your car tuned so it makes the same power it did before. a smarter ecu like a link or motec (or factory) adapts to the engine and learns as the engine gets older, so your tune is always as close to ideal as possible

am i right here or way off? this is just from reading "ecu comparison" webpages and magazine articles. personally i don't see what's wrong with an SU or sidedrafts :thumbsup:

More functions in the ECU the more that can go wrong

the reason for that statment is most of us that arnt super mechanics and wont stuff our cars by playing with something we shouldnt in the setup/programing.

Priced a Motec lately? Basic computer would be worth more than most of our cars.

We are talking cheaper computers here, they arnt smart ECU's.

with newer cars ECUs they will use the O2 sensor to keep the A/F ratio correct.

low cost ECUs will not self tune IE microtech,wolf,haltech etc. yes Motec,altronic high end units will auto tune.

My ET has been running a microtech for maybe 100,000+ km its never been retuned and doesnt need retuning.

Some people have said "microtech are only good for flat out" ok they only have a 16x16 res (same as wolf) but i get good economy out of all the microtechs ive installed even with basic tuning. The last computer i was running on my corolla was taken of a ford 460 8 throttle bodies 700+ HP NA engine. It was retuned by me in about 2 hours with a O2 gauge to suit my 4K-E and then retuned for my 2T-GEU getting good power and economy, Now it lives on the 4K-ZE.

Microtech will use standard OEM sensors. temp/air temp/TPS etc, its as easy as wire it up and start.

All new microtechs are laptop programable

The one thing i don't like about microtech is they have to be ordered for the ignition type and need to go back to change the ignition type.

WOLF

Yes they have lots of options, well turbo timer, they can use the O2 for crusing mixtures, youll need to buy the sensors from wolf and mount them, ignitions setups are all built in to the unit (input signal).

But yes i agree the wolf V4 looks good on paper and I'm sure ill try one someday.

Edited by NickZ

i didnt know that haltec wernt self tuning/ learning ECU s

i get quite a few race cars come through work with haltech in them why? because they are reliable and probbably the cheeper of the better ECUs. the only falt i know of is that some haltech have idel problems.

i don't rate wolf at all because i see to many people haveing problems with them.

while a microtech may compete better with price from what i have found it is better to spend the extra money after all it is the brains of the car. haveing the extra tuneability is always better.

but the bottom line is it all costs $$$ and when you have a $1000 dolar car is it worth putting a $1000 computer in. most people run out of money at this point and just want it running but you are better to do it right the first time.

the haltech are mid priced....microtech/wolf with ignition about $1100, haltech $1400+,altronic $1800+ motec $2500+, Jaycar under $500, Mega squrit $500+

I think thats about the pricing.

I was talking low priced versions of the ecus, the top end haltech are self tuning.

Edited by NickZ

no point...i didnt make the thread. i was adding input to the original post and someone had said microtechs are bad.

and now its become a topic and as topics go we add our input. Manly for future users to read our experiences.

quote Super Jamie

i don't know anything about wolfs, but i understand the problem with microtechs is that they aren't very clever at adapting to the changing needs of the engine.

I then answered super jamie question.

and to cover some other questions that may come from this, i did a little comparison between the original 2 ecus

Yes I'm a Microtech dealer. but have also installed wolf and haltech and Link ecus.

or did you just want to know who thinks microtech is better than wolf

No i couldnt really care less.

gosh we've all gone a bit uppity haven't we

i was just poking fun with my motec comment, hence the wink :( i am more interested in the features and shortcomings of each computer, and what is best value for money; rather than rumors, or what sort of person chooses what ecu, or what people have seen (and haven't seen anything else) or have personal preference to

obviously a motec is going to own all, but yes the computer would easily be worth more than my entire car. the price difference between say, a microtech, link, haltech, autronic and wolf is going to be pretty negligible (<$500) so there's space for alot more discussion and comparison between those ECUs

from what i can see here, it seems the bottom of the price range (haltech, microtech) are little more than a set-map fuel and ignition computer, an electronic carburettor and distributor if you will. spend another 500 dollars (link) and you get an ecu which learns your engine's needs as they change, and will save you in tuning costs later on as the fuel and spark needs of the engine change, or if you make minor changes to the engine such as trying different filters or exhaust components

double your money on a motec and it will build the car for you, and make you coffee and give you a foot massage :thumbsup: perhaps not worth the expense for a street car, but if you're building something like a sports sedan or something which is going to have a budget of over $50,000 then of course you want the best