Auto To Man, Ke30 Advice

harryb

Hey guys, i recently bought a ke30 and it's auto, i am going to get a manual 4 speed gearbox and i'm wondering what problems i will have along the way of the switch over as it's the first time i will be doing this. i have read some topics but i thought the easiest and best way was just to post this question my self

i read this in one of the topics:

"The only real difference between them is the gearbox mounts - the ke30 has both - auto and manual mounts. The ke55 has only the mounts for what gearbox was used in the car - such as yours will have the mounts for the manual box, if it came with the auto it'd only have the mounts for the auto.

There is other odds and sods but with a bit of a search on the forum you'll find them."

Does this mean I won't need a manual cross member?

Also what are the problems with the pedal boxes people have had?

Is there anything else?

it's a 76 ke30 if that helps cheeeeers harry

Members dont see this ad

Hi Harry,

Here is a post regarding your queries, that I posted back in May. Trust it assists a bit.

I recently did an auto to manual conversion on my newly acquired KE30 2 door.

The conversion was pretty easy, except for swapping the pedal box over, which has got to be one of the worst jobs on a KE if you are big, & don't fit between the drivers seat, with it right back, & the pedal area. Even with the seat removed it was a pain. Anyway, I digress.

The "donner" k50 came out of KE70, so had the rear gearbox extension with the gearstick location right at the back. (actually, it fitted perfectly through the tunnel hole for the 2 speed Toyoglide auto)

The rear gearbox mount on the K50 out of a KE70 is different to the mount from earlier KE series rear gearbox mounts, but lined up perfectly with the KE30 rear gearbox cross member, with just the need for two holes to be drilled a little further out to accommodate the rear gearbox mount holes. Everything went smooothly, and the tailshaft from the auto setup was exactly the right length.

First run in it identified a bit of floor pan vibration. When I took a look, the exhaust pipe was just touching the floor, which it hadn't before the conversion.

The rear gearbox mount from the KE70 was higher than than say a KE30 - KE55 type mount (which can't be used on the K50 ex KE70 extension housing), and was locating the rear of the gearbox upwards, such that the front uni had a bit more angle in it, & the exhaust pipe was closer to the floor.

To solve problem immediately, I got hold of some longer cross member to floorpan mounting bolts (starter mounting bolts) and spaced the cross member lower to correct the added height of the rear gearbox mount. I used some very large flat washers, & just keep adding them until it was right.

With 19mm - 20mm of spacing the gearbox sat properly, and I've now been driving it for several weeks, & it runs very smoothly. I am planning on making up two 20mm thick spacer blocks out of bar steel, & welding them permanently to the ends of the cross member.

I'm just interested, as to whether anyone else has done a similar conversion & run into the same problem.

Unfortunately the way the rear gearbox mount attaches to the late K50 externsion housing, it really has to be used, as other mounts would not adapt easily to the rear gearbox extension without a lot of fabrication.

Love to hear some feed back on this one !

i read this in one of the topics:

"The only real difference between them is the gearbox mounts - the ke30 has both - auto and manual mounts. The ke55 has only the mounts for what gearbox was used in the car - such as yours will have the mounts for the manual box, if it came with the auto it'd only have the mounts for the auto.

There is other odds and sods but with a bit of a search on the forum you'll find them."

Does this mean I won't need a manual cross member?

That was meee

Its good to see that you've been doing some searching on the subject :wink:

But as posted by Banjo you will need the manual gearbox x-member.

Also as posted by him, i thought the ke3x/5x was just the same as the e70. But on that note, i've heard that the e70 wagon is different in width between the rails at least

What does everyone do about their speedo cable when doing this conversion?? Is it true that the auto speedo cable doesn't fit the manual box?

If the cable did fit, would the speedo be inaccurate because of the auto diff?

Edited by BReNt

Yeah the end of the speedo cable where it plugs into the auto is different to the manual. You'll need a manual cable. As for settings you can have it adjusted. Don't ask me how but there is a business up here in Bris that plugs some sort of box upto the gear box and it corrects it. Somewhere along those lines anyway.

• 3 months later...

hey, i'm doing a conversion right now and have seen some difference's with the actual mount itself. Is there a totally different rubber/mount between the gearbox and the crossmember than the original auto box???

Oh and if you haven't already found out, from what i did today the speedo cable gets mounted to the opposite side from the auto

Edited by jono1986