5k Troubles/questions/dished Pistons... Water In Oil

Tally

Members dont see this ad

Rob you'll probably find that the water build up is just from standard, everyday running. Water is a byproduct of clean combustion and inevitably some moisture ends up in the crank case. It doesn't usually cause issues because it's such a low amount that it just evaporates.

In your case, it evaporates then condenses in your catch can.

In your case, it evaporates then condenses in your catch can.

Yea I used to find the same in my catch can from time to time doing short trips. Seems to happen more during the colder months or when there is rain around causing cooler weather with high humidity.

very hard to get the moisture out of the sump by draining the milky oil. take it for a 20 minute drive on the highway, the oil temp will be higher than the boiling point of the water and the steam will travel out the crank breather into the inlet manifold and then out the exhaust, thus getting rid of it all... wouldn't stress too much about changing the oil yet, take it for a drive first.

We have a small but significant amount of water building up in our catch can (hooked to crankcase) which is concerning me somewhat, I'm going to retorque the head gasket sometime this week when I get a chance, I'm a little concerned I have coolant leaking into the crankcase (the cylinder head was not very nice when I put it together) but I guess time will tell.

Robert.

I think this is a bad suggestion. :)

Oil is in the engine to lubricate it, and its not going to do a very good job of it while its mixed with water is it!?

Hence my suggestion would be TO DO an oil change, get as much moisture out as you can (to improve the oils lubrication) and then take it for a drive to evaporate the rest. :)

to get the milky stuff out of the sump i'd usally mix half a litre of diesel with a litre of oil till its nice and thin then chuck that in with the old oil, run for 5-10 mins then drain the whole lot out while still hot, then run some cheap oil for 50k's and drain again, and put good oil if its all running sweet still

if you have already changed the oil (after you have done the head gasket) then the amount of water present in the oil would be very minimal, and I personally would take it for a drive. Obviously if there is heaps and heaps of water in the sump this is not a good idea, but having already put 3 or 4 litres of fresh 100% oil in the sump then I can't see the problem.

The ke55 doesn't seemed to have collected any more water in the catch can either, and Kylie did spend the day racing it :) I'm probably just being a stress head, I'm rather good at that :)

Robert.