My Ca18 Ae71.. Quest For 230rwkw

red_gem

hey, bit bored so i thought ide chuck this up and make a bit of a build thread outta it. so, bought it in december i think last year. the previous owner had thrown the CA in and ive been driving it around now daily for about 9 months.

mods...

Fresh rebuilt CA

rebuilt box

exedy clutch

std turbo, afm, injectors

jzx81 FMIC

some form of external fuel pump, lift pump and surge tank

battery in boot

blitz dual sbc

s13 front suss incl lower control arms

s13 coilovers

rear king springs and aftermarket shocks

recaro style seats

carpet removed and most of the sound deadening

speco water temp and boost guages

CA stockies all round.

with the standard ecu, afm, injectors and turbo it made 152rwkw on 11-12psi with 11:1 afr's all the way to redline.

was pretty sweet daily if ya wanted to thrash but found the power to be a bit doughey coz of the stocko ecu and the turbo just not up to the task (even after whoopin some old dude in his VZ clubby from 80km/h :hmm: . not to mention it was a fair pig to drive especially with no A/C in the 45 degree adelaide summer.

So i sold my GTR and bought a commy to daily around in with the plan being to sell the corolla and pay off some debts. After countless knobheads coming to check it out and test drive it i got sick of trying to sell it and decided that ide pump some more power through it (or try to and fail). this brings us to now...

I'm not so slowly collecting the bits i need to make the power i want. please note this isnt a drift car, or drag car, or street car really. i just wanted to build it so when I'm old and grey i can look back at the footage and laugh, and show my kids how weak their rides are...

so the bits to make the power i want.... after browsing the web lookin at the "all the rage" Garrett and HKS turbos goin for huge $$ i came across a Trust/Greddy TD05H-18g and TIAL 38mm external gate at a rediculusly cheap price so snapped them up. i already had some 444cc injectors from a GTR and got my mate who works at motor traders to hook me with some LS1 coils to get rid of the already missing coilpacks. have an RB20 AFM at about 1/10th the price of a z32 which is reported to be good for 250rwkw on a CA. bought some 4 to 5 stud spacers and pinched a set of SSR RS-8's off my mate in 16x7.5 and 16x8, way over the whole sleeper thing time for it to get stickered up anyway. so now just waiting on my ECU to come back from DR Drift in melb and my high mount Ebay manifold (don't worry itll get re-inforced) and i can start getting some photos together and then push it on the dyno till something max'es out or it goes pop.

some flicks of the car now, the turbo and gate, and a couple of previous rides so you all know I'm not a retard doin this for the first time...

untitled3.jpg

untitled.jpg

untitled2.jpg

Picture_016.jpg

P1010398.jpg

old rides...

stuff036.jpg

SR20 32..

P1090049.jpg

ok so updates as i can get them done. ide say within the next 3 to 4 weeks ill have it on the dyno...

################################################################################

ok so its 99% complete now just waiting on a meshie, wheel alignment and dyno run. its all up and running and has a new stance so thought ide post a pic.

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

itll go on the dyno next weekend ide say for a final tune up and get the boost up then off to lala.

Edited by red_gem

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill get some up soon. i really want it back. might be on the cards after I'm done with this thing.

updates..... got my manifold today. which means getting the old one off asap and dummy fitting it all up. manifold looks to be ok except for 1 thread needing a clean up. true test will be on the dyno i spose..

##### turns out I'm on my mates name but yeh #######

ok so been working faily hard on it the last 3 or 4 days. it now has the modded manifold. turbo, gate, dump pipe, o2 sensor, injectors, most of the cooler piping, 4-5 stud spacers front with watanabe's 16x8 +8 (offset including spacers) are all on. had to mod the oil drain and feed but its all together now and is at the exhaust shop now getting the screamer and dump to front pipe modded. I'm also getting the cold side cooler piping modded to fit the rb20 afm so i don't need to run a filter.

so on the to do list now is steal my mates 15x8 -4 supers for the back (it will eventually run rota 16x8+4s) rear shocks, cut rear springs, new front coilovers, new brake master so i can run GTR 4 pot brakes, r31 diff convo, bride or sparco fixed back, new bushes through the front of it, new swaybars and panhard, and drive it to melb to get DR Drift to fine tune it probably with a new fuel pump and bigger injectors. oh and still need to mount and wire the LS1 coils but sussed how to do all that so wont be too hard. I'm hoping i can get 230rwkw out of it before any major engine failures. i think it has everthing to make the power now just needs the right tune.

pictures will be up as soon as i ave it back. i realise build threads arnt much good without them so ill get my act together. cheers

Edited by sr-rolla

got it back from the exhaust place today. man its sweet. now all thats left to do is the ls1 coils and wire up the AFM. I'm really hoping i can push this setup to 230rwkw but its really unknown what it will do. in theory it should just get there with the only thing being the injectors that may hold it back. few shitty dark pics till tomorrow when i can throw up some good one's.

rollabay2.jpg

rollabay.jpg

turbs.jpg

watanabes.jpg

i also bought a pair of 16x8 +13 SSR meshies for the ass which will be a good offset once the 31 diff is in.

enjoy...

I have seen this thing in Adelaide driving around.

My advice, keep the S13 stock rims on it. Police won't even look twice at it. I know I didn't except for the fact that I knew what was in it.

Even my missus commented on the fact that it doesn't draw attention :y:

Keep it stock looking mate, Police are hot onto these KE's in Radelaide due to all the 17 year old wannabe drift kings :wink: :)

its not as clean as those photo's make it out to be. it wont get a whole lot of street use anymore except for the odd cruise here and there so I'm not too worried about how it will look.

Rolliac- it is mate yes, Re-Tuned by DR DRIFT.

ill have the comp back by mid to late next week and i should have the rear wheels all done and on by monday/tuesday the week after so itll be ready for battle. ill run it on the dyno and see how it goes but i reckon ill be driving over with the "foolish line" boys for winton in oct and get dr drift to fine tune it then. ive already got my eye on a td06-25g and a built head but ill wait n see what goes on with this setup first

I'm more setting it up for track days so sleeper look had to go. plus having a sleeper these days don't mean shit. get caught racing in your r34 GTR or a CA18 corolla and the outcome will be the same........

quick update............

were getting pretty close to being ready to go. SSR's are probs a week away, new coilovers this week, dr drift tuned comp back mid week. got to mount the other 3 coils and mod loom to suit. solder up the afm wiring and crank it over.

it will be for sale in the near future with or without wheels. ive had fun building it but maybe time to pay some debts and be boring. or buy my 32 back. anyway if you think you might be interested in it once its done shoot me a pm. cheers