My Plans For Lola

ancullen

I'm wanting to upgrade my car, preferably as cheaply as possible. If anyone can provide very cheap parts or free advice I'd be very grateful. Here's what I'm thinking of in the way of parts:

RT132 Corona Struts

Peugeot 604 Discs

Hilux/Landcruiser 4-Pot Calipers

Hilux Master Cylinder (with Bolt Pattern to Suit KE55)

Lowered Springs (Preferably Proper, Stiffer Ones)

TODA 304-Degree, 9.0mm Lift Intake Cam

TODA 288-Degree, 9.0mm Lift Exhaust Cam

TODA Inner Shim Kit

TODA 6.0mm Metal Head Gasket

Parts to Lower Rear Suspension Without Making It Soft (KE55 Corolla)

If anyone can help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated. I would be happy to enter a sponsorship agreement. Remember I live in Darwin, so this will probably only suit people with online business or those trying to expand North. Of course, any advice from those who have followed a similar tact would be appreciated, as I'll want to be aware of any difficulties I might face in using these parts. At this stage I'm thinking of doing the suspension & brakes first (as it's cheapest), then doing up the motor further down the track.

Members dont see this ad

I don't think you can buy off-the-shelf springs to suit RT132 Corona struts in a KE55 Corolla, the lowered AE86 ones by Kings (KTFL-33) which is the sort you want will return your car to stock height, so if you want lower you'll have to get something lower than "lowered". Besides, I find the stock lowered AE86 ones a little soft for track work. I believe they are 125lb progressive. As a comparison, I'm running 250lb on the front of my car at the moment (which I recon works quite well with my current set up). Softer is easier to drive, though, more feedback and not as snappy.

6.0mm headgasket would be useless, you'd blow it every month. google "quench area"

alot of people say off the shelf springs are too soft. aren't the stock springs about 70 or 80lb? i'm running 170lb springs in the front at the moment, and from rough calculations, about 150lb in the back. it's alright but tends to transition from understeer to oversteer a bit too fast for my liking (or skill levels). to run springs like fook's, you have to have a VERY well sorted, dedicated race car. on a streeter, i'd stay under 200lb

get the leaves reset lower and add an extra leaf (get one made up, or use a spare leaf). combining two packs (7 leaves) will give you about 220lb. any more than 1 extra leaf and you need to have new clamps made. you can't bolt leaves together to clamp them, it's illegal

don't bother inverting the leaf eyes, and stay away from lowering blocks

don't bother inverting the leaf eyes,

Why? I *think* mine are inverted. If you just lower the car by resetting the leaves, you'll end up with rather flat looking leafs. Mine are almost flat, I've actually had my car raised slightly because the leafs were starting to invert.

And yes, softer springs are easier to drive on, and easier on the kidneys. Also watch your front-rear ratio, I'm running 250/200, which seems to work for me. The car is set up actually quite oversteery and will hang the tail out with very little persuasion, there is very little understeer at all.

Also, look into getting an anti-tramp setup when you get your leafs done. With mine they put in half a leaf extra on the front half of the leaf pack. I'd steer clear away from slapper bars, they make for a very very harsh transition, almost like hitting the bumpstops. Great for a drag car (going in a straight line) as it slams the power to the ground, crap when you're coming around a corner.

well, spax make coilovers for HQs. HQs use the same monroe part number for rear shocks as ke3x/5x non-wagon. and spax make coilovers to suit the back end of HQ holdens which have converted to coils. you'd probably have to cut and enlarge the suspension tower to fit the spring, but it's one of the harder parts that is now bolt in :)

On Johnny Rochester's site he says that he used XT130 struts, RA23 steering knuckles, and has cut the spring carrier off the Corona struts and used the KE30 carrier instead, with KE70 springs (cut down, I think). Remembering that this car will probably never be registered, does this sound like a good option? I'd actually use lowered King Springs instead of cutting springs, but aside from that I was going to follow his method.

I'll look into that HQ conversion, thanks Jamie. I might have to have a good chat with some of the HQ racers at Hidden Valley. :)

As to the head gasket, what about a 8.0mm or 10.0mm item? I'd like to get as high a compression ratio as possible remembering that my supercharger will be adding about 13-14psi.

Does anyone know where I can get beefed up swaybars for the KE55? Is there any other model of car that happens to have a thicker one to suit?

a thicker headgasket is worse. google "quench area" like i said before, and work out how thick your head gasket needs to be from what else you do to the head and pistons

are we still talking about a K motor here? if you want to run big boost, you're going to have to spend alot of money. alot. they can usually handle 0.5bar until they go bang regularly

• 4 years later...