Ae71 4ac Manual Noise Problem Loud Screaching

55LDE

i just changed the clutch in my manual 4ac with a new excedy clutch kit and since we put it together the gear box is making this loud squeel on idle and when u push the clutch in the noise goes away, so i thought its the throw out bearning so we took the box off and put another bearing in and its still making the noise :-(

any ideas? we have used a brand new bearing and a old bearing and both make the noise. before the clutch change it was working all good.

Members dont see this ad

Could be spigot bearing..

If you push the thrust bearing off the pressure plate by pushing on the arm, does it stop? That would stop the thrust bearing spinning, but leave the spigot running with the gearbox shaft in it.

Not much else in there- with the clutch up the input shaft spins in the spigot, usually the thrust spins on the pressure plate (shouldn't do really..) and the input shaft turns the layshaft in the gearbox.. there's oil in box I assume!!

I always grease the end of the input shaft where it goes in the spigot, and the splines where the clutch plate runs, and the yoke where it pushes the thrust bearing.

also he maybe got clutch dust on the spigot bearing there for sezing the spigot bearing?

one thing ive noticed at work with mercedes vans is even though you aligned the clutch with a dummy shaft the pressure plate doesnt sit on the flywheel properly?

like the diaghram fingers stick up and half don't? even though you slowly nip all the bolts up evenly

that got me to swear wtf a million times. simple fix, remove and refit LOL fixed the problem :P

hydralic or cable clutch pedal?

did you machine the flywheel?

did you change the spigot bearing? (sits in the crank)

Hydraulic.

Yes Flywheel machined.

No i didnt change that bearing, just the throw out bearing.

This was working perfectly with no noise before the gearbox was removed.

Could be spigot bearing..

If you push the thrust bearing off the pressure plate by pushing on the arm, does it stop? That would stop the thrust bearing spinning, but leave the spigot running with the gearbox shaft in it.

Not much else in there- with the clutch up the input shaft spins in the spigot, usually the thrust spins on the pressure plate (shouldn't do really..) and the input shaft turns the layshaft in the gearbox.. there's oil in box I assume!!

I always grease the end of the input shaft where it goes in the spigot, and the splines where the clutch plate runs, and the yoke where it pushes the thrust bearing.

pushing the clutch in stops the noise.

Yes it was all greased up.

we did find when we took the gearbox off one of the clips that holds the throw out bearing onto the fork had come off. We put this back on and bolted her back up and was running good for about 5 min then the noise came back.

could be the clip has fallen off yet again not sure :P