Sloth

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I love the shopping trolley engine stands :jamie:

Latest word from the mechanic:

• The engine is in ( no need to take it out again.)
  • Water gallery modified and plated.
  • Just finished the clutch hydraulics...it works!
  • Painted and fitted the extractors and fitted up the exhaust system.
  • Distributor in.
  • Heater in.

I think all that leaves is

• Putting in the computer
  • Wiring everything up
  • Replacing the dash
  • Getting the aircon working

Potential Seats (FTO)

While my mechanic was visiting the wreckers to get some random pieces for the Sprinter, he came across a set of seats from an FTO that are relatively cheap. Similar to these but in black and "better looking".

post-539-1265370803_thumb.jpg

I was originally looking at putting a set of brand new recaros in, similar to the one below, but probably in leather...

post-539-1265370890_thumb.jpg

The only difference is that I would get away with the FTO seats for under $1000, but the Recaros would cost $4500+ (and that's just for the cheapest ones with no leather, for the more expensive ones with leather I'd be looking around $6000!!!!)

The idea behind the Sprinter was to do things properly and get nice parts (the Sparco seat in my KE55 was bought from a guy I met in a Maccas carpark at 1am) but I have to be realistic (spending 6k on seats for the Sprinter is a little excessive). The problem though is it can be a slippery slope and next thing I know I could end up with a tacho taped to my ashtray (like I had in the KE55 until it got broken into).

I'm going to have a think about things over the weekend, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards the FTO seats. One of the issues with this project is that I want things to work and be done right, which basically means I'm avoiding doing any of the work myself, which in turn means the cost of everything goes up dramatically (although there's less effort on my part and things are done properly). From what I've heard they go well in the AE86, although they sit a little higher than the stock seats.

Any thoughts guys?

FTO seats are pretty comfy in my opinion, although the recaros have better bolster/lumber support.

So I'd probably go the FTO seats, as a better everyday and occasional thrash seat, and much more cost effective really. And they look good.

Coming along nicely! |blink|

Edited by KENut

If you REALLY want recaros then maybe have a look around for some second hand ones that were factory fitment in other vehicles like Evo's and some Hondas like Integra Type R's.

Examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/mitsubishi-evo-7-se...=item230541edc8

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JDM-INTEGRA-TYPE-R-...=item35a6ea4e72

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of news recently. Everything is almost ready to go, last time I spoke to the mechanic everything was in except the computer/electrics and the seats (which were probably going in the next day). The auto-elec that was going to do the computer work though was in hospital after being bitten by a spider, so I'm just playing the waiting game now...

Not a lot of news recently. Everything is almost ready to go, last time I spoke to the mechanic everything was in except the computer/electrics and the seats (which were probably going in the next day). The auto-elec that was going to do the computer work though was in hospital after being bitten by a spider, so I'm just playing the waiting game now...

7th of March cruise? :P

Great news mate! Edge of your seat action happening right here. Can't wait to see your car! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Engine Update

While the car still isn't finish, things have been slowly progressing. The ECU has been ordered and is ready to be installed, the engine is in the car (and shouldn't be coming out again). The dizzy has been taken out and a coilpack system put in. Aircon has been fitted. A new radiator has been put in. The FTO seats have been fitted.

Basically all I am waiting on now is the sparky to get the ECU in there and working. Haven't got the bill for it all yet, but it's going to be painful, lol.

Here are some pics.

post-539-1267883375_thumb.jpg

post-539-1267883303_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke with my mechanic today..

It went to the dyno on Monday. They've started it, and apparently it sounds really good. My mechanic should be getting it back either tonight or tomorrow morning, and everything should be ready for me to pick it up at easter ;)

Getting really excited to take it for a spin!

Broken Water Pump

I spoke with my mechanic earlier in the week, just as it was about to be dyno'd (or put on the dyno) they noticed that the water pump was broken. My mechanic went in this morning (Friday) to take a look at it, and found that the timing case was cracked as well.

This will set things back a little (hopefully not too much), but it means that things will be tight for me to get it back at Easter. If it can't happen by the end of next week (which is only a short week) it should happen the week after that.

Hopefully everything falls into place, as I've already started making plans for it's first outing :) A skid pan day at Sutton, can't wait!

100th POST! (wow that took me a very long time, I think I have to post a lot more!)

Update:

Unfortunately it wasn't ready in time for me to took up over the long weekend... I realised this might be a good thing as it's double demerits :S

All the damage done before the attempt at the Dyno was fixed. My mechanic and the dyno guy seem to think the fan had something to do with breaking the water pump (just couldn't handle the awesome high revs of the silvertop), so that has now been replaced too. The aircon needs to be gassed and a couple of things tidied up (I don't know if the dash is in properly at the moment) but it should be going on the dyno on Tuesday and I should be able to pick it up next Friday (fingers crossed).

My mechanic has been driving it around (to and from the dyno and to get parts) and said that it is awesome, coming from him (who has been involved in motorsport and working on rally cars since before I was born) I give that a fair amount of weight. After driving it the other day he said "I took it for a for a drive and ... it's awesome. It drives great, it sounds great, it feels great, it looks great... well it doesn't look great... yet". Due to my poor managing of money though it'll probably be a little while before I can sink enough money into it to start working on the paint/body.

We also had a chat about rims, and I mentioned I was thinking around the 15 - 17 range. He said that in Victoria the rule of thumb for how much bigger you can go is 2inches from the original size... with the original wheels of the Sprinter being 13 that brings the maximum I'm allowed up to 15 inches. I've been trying to find where online the rules for ACT modifications are, but I haven't had too much luck.

The whole process has been a little annoying with me being in a different state to where the work is being done, but next week me and the car should be back together again :D Then I'll get to start the fun process of learning how she now drives, all the rollas I've driven have had a completely different feel.

I am planning to head down to Melbourne to pick up the Sprinter this weekend. Pretty much everything is done (some little things need to be done, aircon gassed etc), the car has been dyno'd and apparently runs really well.

Dyno Results

I briefly spoke with my mechanic over the phone today, and he just picked up the car from the dyno, he said it was running great. When I asked what power it was making he said that it peaked at 400mn of torque, which I think is a little higher than I was expecting. Apparently though it only makes about 68rwkw @ 7000 RPM. I was hoping for it to be up a bit closer to 100rwkw (as the silvertops are supposed to make 118kw from the factory and when you factor in some loss through the draintrain it comes to around 100).

When I get the car back I'll be able to talk with my mechanic properly about it, look at the charts etc and decide what to do.