Sr20 Conversion To Ke55 Plus Rebuild Plus Pimpage

JDM55

Members dont see this ad
absolutely loving this.. Kudos to you for sticking with it bud! I think I'm gonna have to buy myself a mig and learn to weld cause I get so jealous every time I see a thread like this

thanks very much there mate,yes apart from the work its been a bit of a mission,alot of ups and downs!I'm trying to hang in there,money is the real hassle,seems to swollow every coin ,but yeah get yourself a mig!! i could barely weld when i started this,but now my skills have improved 10 fold, thanks for reading and the kudos :D

How much roughly should I spend on a mig and what type should I get? I've actually been keen on learning for a long time, just havn't got round to it.

you should spend what you can afford, 500 ish would probably get you a decent mig,get one with gas or hire a gas bottle to get you going, wont take long if you play around with the settings .

ok so well this is interesting ,a new layout ???? looks good ,

any way i thought what id do next on my build is i have the engine out for the 10th time so far,

and i thought id have a go at give it a service and a tidy up etc ,

since i havent realy seen a whole lot of postings on this sort of thing,I'm going to document a few

things with it, also will help when i need to go back over a few things later on,

for those people who already know all about engines and how to do all the following sort of things,

i apologize this next part probably be a bit boring ,but for those who arnt to sure ,there may be a

few things you find of interest ;-)

as I'm learning this engine stuff ,specialy turbo related, as i go ,i hope it all goes well,

if I'm doing something wrong I'm sure someone can point out what i should be doing,

the other thing is ive gone way way over my budget,if you remember way back at the start,

i said budget was pretty much I'm broke lol more so now,this is a huge task ive been taken on

maybe bitten off alittle more than i could chew,and afford, but I'm guessing I'm ruffly at least half way

and if at all possible i want to keep going.

bla bla so heres the motor out of the car yet again,i havnt cleaned it or anything since i got it so that was the first task.

100920105886small.jpg

so basicly i masked up the parts i didnt realy want water getting into ,and sprayed the hole engine with degresser,and let it sit for about 5 minutes then sprayed it again ,and waited another 10 minutes, then used a pressure washer to blast away the greasy grim,

if your a cheap skate or can't aford degresser you can use oven cleaner ,it works pretty good :happy:

100920105964small.jpg

so there got it all cleaned up looks a little better already ,

after the clean up i had a better look at the clutch,it didnt look to healthy :|

not realy an expence that i wanted to have ,was hoping that it would be reasonable

enough to get me going at least,

100920105914small.jpg

needed to get a better look at the condition of it so undone the bolts holding on the pressure plate,

110920105969small.jpg

took me a minute to figure how to do that as when i put the ratchet on the bolt the fly wheel wanted to keep going round ,i ended up using the rattle gun to get the bolts off ,they came off pretty easy with that.

110920105973small.jpg

these clutchs are fairly large and heavy,the clutch plate thing was pretty worn out ,hadnt been changed in a long time by the looks may have even been the original item??? and the pressure plate prongs were pretty worn out ,none the less its cactus :n:

110920105974small.jpg

so i guess that means i have to buy a new one :bash:

also the fly wheel wasnt the best either :bash:

110920105977small.jpg

realy didnt want to take this off if i could get away with it ,a new fly wheel and new clutch

be a bit costly,plus ive read when changing the fly wheel its best to use new flywheel bolts,

found a set but they cost like 80 dollars!!! for some bolts! :o

so had to have a go at least to see if i could salvage it,

started scrubbing and cleaning with prepsol and a brush ,alot of the grimeys came off,

but a bit of surface rust still there, and a few not so nice places where the clutch plate had slightly dug in I'm guessing,

110920105986small.jpg

after a realy hard scrubing most of the stuff was gone , used a scotch brite to help scrape off some of the surface rust and clean away the nastys,and was left with this:::

110920105988small.jpg

not too bad but still a little marked up , being that i realy don't want to have to pay for a new fly wheel or get this one off and then machined and then put back on, i went the cheap option, :lolcry:

sand paper ,haha dodgey maybe??? probably, not sure but it seemed to help alot, i used 80 gritt on a sander,and managed to get alot of it smoothed off alot better, still not one hundred percent but a hell of alot better than when i pulled it off,not sure if its ok to leave it like this but for the moment i think I'm going to .

110920105989small.jpg

managed to get hold of an engine stand,so thought this be better than working on the ground,

only thing was had to figure out how to get the engine on to it lol ,

put abit of cardboard over the fly wheel ,didnt want any more damage.

managed to get the frame thing onto the engine ,took a while to sus how to set it up,because

i kept the fly wheel on i couldnt just bolt the frame thing straight to the engine ,had to use thick washers

to space it out slightly to clear the fly wheel , double checked and made sure the bolts were as far into the gear box mount holes as possible.

I'm still a little confused on how the hell 4 bolts can carry the weight of the engine????????????????

but some how its holding the thing on there! :o

110920105993small.jpg

so got the frame thing bolted down to engine then had to lift up the engine and slide it onto the stand ,

well that was the goal any way ,ended up a little trickyer than that.

110920105995small.jpg

110920105996small.jpg

got it on the stand but a closer look shows what i had to do,

had to rest the engine stand on the engine crain to get it close enough

to slide the frame on,but then found when i lowered the wieght off the engine,

i couldnt slide the engine stand off the crain :bash: ,

had to get a lttle scissor jack to lift it up and let me slide the crain out the way.

110920105997small.jpg

110920105998small.jpg

hooray engine bolted to the stand and firmly on the ground finally! :dance:

110920106001small.jpg

110920106010small.jpg

110920105974small.jpg

so i guess that means i have to buy a new one :bash:

also the fly wheel wasnt the best either :bash:

110920105977small.jpg

realy didnt want to take this off if i could get away with it ,a new fly wheel and new clutch

be a bit costly,plus ive read when changing the fly wheel its best to use new flywheel bolts,

found a set but they cost like 80 dollars!!! for some bolts! :o

so had to have a go at least to see if i could salvage it,

started scrubbing and cleaning with prepsol and a brush ,alot of the grimeys came off,

but a bit of surface rust still there, and a few not so nice places where the clutch plate had slightly dug in I'm guessing,

110920105986small.jpg

after a realy hard scrubing most of the stuff was gone , used a scotch brite to help scrape off some of the surface rust and clean away the nastys,and was left with this:::

110920105988small.jpg

not too bad but still a little marked up , being that i realy don't want to have to pay for a new fly wheel or get this one off and then machined and then put back on, i went the cheap option, :lolcry:

sand paper ,haha dodgey maybe??? probably, not sure but it seemed to help alot, i used 80 gritt on a sander,and managed to get alot of it smoothed off alot better, still not one hundred percent but a hell of alot better than when i pulled it off,not sure if its ok to leave it like this but for the moment i think I'm going to .

110920105989small.jpg

with the flywheel, you shoulldddd go get it machined but you can do what i did and go over it with 80grid sand paper. if the flywheel is smooth it has a more chance of slipping so roughen it up. rough is good :P

repaint the rocker cover and spray the bare block with some 2 pack clear?

edit - also change the spigot bearing while the gearbox is off

Edited by Evan G

with the flywheel, you shoulldddd go get it machined but you can do what i did and go over it with 80grid sand paper. if the flywheel is smooth it has a more chance of slipping so roughen it up. rough is good :P

repaint the rocker cover and spray the bare block with some 2 pack clear?

edit - also change the spigot bearing while the gearbox is off

yeah i used 80 grit :)mite go over it again later with 60 or something, i guess if its starts slipping i know what it will be and deal with it then lol,cheap ,,,, my camera is very crapy ,are spigot bearings cheap? lol

i was thinking bout painting it up a lil bit mite try change some of the mainfold gaskets and that,

i have a new water pump the old one was totaly stuft

Edited by JDM55

i paid $9 for mine for the 4k, go on the exedy site, look up the s14 sr20 clutch and they will give you a part number for the spigot bearing. then just go down a good bearing joint and they should have it

polish the intake manifold, repaint the rocker cover/balancer/all the pulleys. make her look shmickk

i paid $9 for mine for the 4k, go on the exedy site, look up the s14 sr20 clutch and they will give you a part number for the spigot bearing. then just go down a good bearing joint and they should have it

polish the intake manifold, repaint the rocker cover/balancer/all the pulleys. make her look shmickk

sick 9 bucks is all good ,ill see how we go, how do you get that bearing out?? it looks to be stuck in there some how? yeah mite have a go at polishing the manifold ,try and make it look better than it is now tho with out spending months on it, still heaps and heaps to do on the car ,

Hi Ryan,

Looking good mate, it's worth taking that fly wheel off and getting it faced. (especially with a new clutch plate)

Also check the rear main seal at the same time, last thing you want to do is put it all back together and have it leak, you could ruin a new clutch you wont tell until it's running and under load.

Only take you half an hour.

The seals tend get brittle if the engine's been sitting for a while.