Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What's Wrong With My 4k

Featured Replies

Hey

 

I have this 4k and I need some help, where the blue breather thing is there was nothing originally. I put the blue breather thing on there.

 

Is it supposed to be hooked up to somewhere on the carby because at the moment smoke comes out of it and I am sure it is not meant to. I will say though the motor hadn't been run in a very long time so maybe the smoking will stop.

 

A pic for your info and some help

 

post-7149-1263465790_thumb.jpg

 

post-7149-1263465703_thumb.jpg

ooooppss...had a closer look at the picture, a breether hose connects onto that and goes into the bottom of the air cleaner, the setup you got there is illegal i'm pretty sure.

Edited by jono1986

That is where fresh air goes INTO the PCV system. It goes out through the brown hose behind it and into the manifold to be burnt.

 

Stupid really, it isn't going to clear the motor of fumes by travelling 50mm, but I suspect the Govt said "you must have a PCV system" so they fitted the cheapest and easiest one.

 

Check the valve sticking into the tappet cover at the end of the brown hose. It must flow air one way only. (towards the manifold) If it is gummed up then it won't suck the fumes out. Give it a good clean in brake cleaner and make sure the ball is loose when you shake it and seating well.

 

If the valve is working and fumes come out the "in" filter then the motor is producing more blow-by than the PCV system can handle. That would suggest that the rings are pretty shot!

  • Author
That is where fresh air goes INTO the PCV system. It goes out through the brown hose behind it and into the manifold to be burnt.

 

Stupid really, it isn't going to clear the motor of fumes by travelling 50mm, but I suspect the Govt said "you must have a PCV system" so they fitted the cheapest and easiest one.

 

Check the valve sticking into the tappet cover at the end of the brown hose. It must flow air one way only. (towards the manifold) If it is gummed up then it won't suck the fumes out. Give it a good clean in brake cleaner and make sure the ball is loose when you shake it and seating well.

 

If the valve is working and fumes come out the "in" filter then the motor is producing more blow-by than the PCV system can handle. That would suggest that the rings are pretty shot!

 

That sounds reasonable - I took the valve off and will get some brake cleaner tomorrow to clean it. It does look gummed up. I also suspect that this motor is rooted so would like to rule this out before I go to the effort of putting a new gearbox in.

 

Thanks for the help - you're quite knowledgable on this stuff

Edited by LukeAE71

Yeah that smoke usually comes from blow by, it's not unfair to expect a bit, but a lot could indicate something more is wrong.

..and the PCV valve works the opposite way to what one might expect. It flows a lot at wide-open throttle and closes off at idle.

 

So it uses the high manifold vacuum at idle to shut the valves hard against a spring, and that's when you might see fumes coming out of the filter. On the open road under acceleration the PCV valve is open and sucking the fumes out of the engine, as that's the time you normally get maximum blowby.

Are you sure it was smoke or was it steam?

 

If the engine has sat for a while and not run then it could well just be some moisture that has built up in the motor over time. Then when you first started it, this moisture was being burn/eveaporated off. Run it a few more times and see if the smokie stops.

If it doesn't then its just blow-by as mentioned before. :wink:

Judging by the plug leads she looks in need of a bit of maintenance. Have you changed the oil recently?

 

 

Eww, did'n't even notice that felix.

 

Its a wonder it even runs well considering the spark probably jumps across to the cup. :wink:

  • Author
Judging by the plug leads she looks in need of a bit of maintenance. Have you changed the oil recently?

 

I will add that this motor is an unknown quantity and yes maintenance has been severely lacking. It was not running when we got the car, I chucked some points into it and got it running for a few mins, and the smoke coming out was the first thing I noticed amongst alot of other things.

 

It will be getting a big freshen up before we start driving it!!!

 

I guess I just wanted to know if it was completely rooted before I go spending too much on new fluids, leads etc for it. This is a very budget build for my brother in law as he (and I it would seem) learns a bit more about cars.

  • Author
What I'd do then, is adjust the valve clearances and then compression test it, to get a better idea of condition.

 

Thankyou, a compression test was one of the things I was considering :wink:

as usual taz beat me too it but yeah, it's more likely to be steam. Get a mirror and see if it fogs up if you hold it nearby. Nothing to worry about, I'm running a book though I'm putting odds on that she needs a head gasket.

  • Author
as usual taz beat me too it but yeah, it's more likely to be steam. Get a mirror and see if it fogs up if you hold it nearby. Nothing to worry about, I'm running a book though I'm putting odds on that she needs a head gasket.

 

According to the seller this engine was taken out of a running crashed car, then it was put into the vehicle we bought and the reason for sale of the car was that the Toyoglide was stuffed and no drive. This happened shortly after the install of this 4K. I might add this motor started very easily after insertion of new points and ran well with the exception of the smoke. It didn't run on less than 4 cylinders or idle lumpy like it would if it had a BHG.

 

The Toyoglide is stuffed so the question begs, why would you go to all the effort of installing a motor which you know is stuffed??

 

I will update in here when I have done some more investigation to the motor tomorrow.

 

This has certainly given me some things to look over though :wink:

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.