Ke70 Gearbox Conundrum.

B.L.Z.BUB

I got this 5 speed (for free) with my ke70 when i purchased it assuming it was a straight bolt in.

SDC13581.JPG

I have been told...

"Just a heads up on the k50. Looks like its out of a ke35 / 55 Shifter is a bit far forward for the ke70."

"Should be easy to find someone who will swap as your tailhousing is rarer."

Is it the wrong tail housing? Is it rarer?

Is it just worth a straight swap for a ke70 5 speed?

Any help appreciated guys I'm a bit of a n00b to mechanicals. And no offence to the guy who told me this, I just want some confirmation.

If its worth swapping for another decent box I just want to know, if its worthless Ill just scrap it and find a proper ke70 5speed.

Thanks in advance.

Members dont see this ad

It's not worthless, you might just need to cut a hole for the shifter. I'm sure you'd be able to swap or sell it to a KE3X or KE5X owner and then get a KE70 box.

Can't verify the shifter position at the moment. It looks about right for a KE5X box, but I can't be bothered going into the shed to double check :)

Ok sweet ill put it up for sale. can't be arsed messing around with cutting holes may as well get the right one. Any ideas on what its worth? It seems in good nick but its missing the clutch fork rubber. And if anyone wants it and has the right box i need just gimme a PM. Brisbane area.

It's not worthless, you might just need to cut a hole for the shifter. I'm sure you'd be able to swap or sell it to a KE3X or KE5X owner and then get a KE70 box.

Can't verify the shifter position at the moment. It looks about right for a KE5X box, but I can't be bothered going into the shed to double check :)

I did

post-1432-1264682331_thumb.jpg

this is a ke70 k50 rear housing

You've got 3 options:

1, Cut the trans tunnel...... don't blame you for not wanting to do this

2, Swap the whole gearbox for a KE70 K50

3, Swap only the rear extension housing with somebody who has the KE70 K50 and wants to put it in a KE3X-5X.

If you do this, just make sure you swap shifter too as they're not interchangable between the 2 versions. :)

3, Swap only the rear extension housing with somebody who has the KE70 K50 and wants to put it in a KE3X-5X.

If you do this, just make sure you swap shifter too as they're not interchangable between the 2 versions. :)

Learn something new every day i never knew about the shifters being different.

• 1 month later...

oh god dammit!

i got a KE55 K50 thinking it was a KE70 one, dammit!

i'm pretty sure i'm not going to be able to get a tailhousing for a ke70 in townsville. oh thats a burn.

so...

if i cut the transmission tunnel will the shifter be in a usable position or is it going to be all arse about?

• 2 weeks later...

i got a simalar situation with my ke55 but its confusing me alot atm lol.

not sure exactly what it had as a gear box to begin with but a hole has been cut for a shiter to sit alot closer to the engine the original

did any of the later ke55 have a ke70 gearbox at all or is it more likley to be an old auto that has been converted?