Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke70 4k Just Not Starting

Featured Replies

Hey guys I'm new to the forums. |blink| Anyway I got an 82 ke70 corolla with a 4k in it. Due to circumstances beyond my control I haven't been able to give the old girl the attention it deserves over the last yr or so. Today I thought I'd fire it up for the first time in a long time. After about 5 minutes of trying finally got it started I let it idle for a good 3-4mins before it was starting to die so I did what anyone would do tapped the accelerator pedal but as soon as I did that it died. Since then I haven't been able to get it started its turning over and just as it looks like its about to start it fails at the last hurdle and as soon as I tap the accelerator pedal when I'm trying to start it to give it some encouragement it kills it right away. What could be causing this? Well I'm very confused and frustrated I didn't imagine it would take so much effort just to get it running. I'm probably missing something simple here? Thanks in advance for your responses guys.

prob stale fuel, use some start yah basted or when it feels like its gonna start tap the gas 1Cm

Edited by Evan G

  • Author

I chucked in about 5 litres of fresh fuel not a lot tho only 5 litres, maybe I need more? I even chucked some fuel down the carb. The weird thing is that when i finally got it started and it was idling and after a while when it started to die I tapped the gas pedal to get the revs back up to stop it from dieing it did the the complete opposite of what it should have and killed it. Thanks Evan I'll have a look for some of that start ya bastard stuff. I'll have to find someone who sells it or something similar to it doesn't sound like it's too common.

or try removing the fuel line from the bottom of the fuel filter and put a hose on the fuel line to the pump and put into jerry can full of fresh fuel.

 

then just crank it but don't touch the pedal! as soon as its wanting to start press the pedal down 2cm slowly. then slowly keep press the gas more as the revs rise till you get to around 1300rpm and hold it for a min

 

mine does this when it idles with the a/c (very very very difficult to start)

 

also have the choke off

  • Author

Ive chucked in about 8 litres more fresh fuel. Installed new battery terminals, new spark plugs and leads all did nothing I have no idea what it could be. This is really doing my head in now! |blink|

sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem.

 

test the spark, if it is good spark and nothing has changed (lead order etc) from when it was running, then you obviously are not getting proper fuel delivery.

 

assuming fuel pump works, and there is fuel in carburettor, see if the accellerator pump works...

 

robert.

Yeah, sounds like blocked jet from sitting too long, letting dirt settle out somewhere.

 

You might have to strip the carb and clean all the passageways and jets.

if it starts but dies when the pedal is pressed then the accelerator pump probably isn't doing its thing.... the plunger might be torn or something.

 

Robert.

tap the side of the carby when someone is crank, then try covering the top of the carby with your hand when some1 is also crank

  • Author

Ok used some engine starter (similar to start yah basted i guess) 3 times and each time got it to start and idle. But every time it died after a few seconds even when using the gas pedal which makes me think its fuel related? Also which order should the leads be in should lead 1 be closest to the front of the car or closest to the firewall or does it not matter? Just wanna make sure I have the leads right way round, thanks.

Should be a small "1" on your dizzy cap. This obviously goes to the front piston (#1) and then going clockwise around the cap - 1,3,4,2.

 

Pull the fuel line off the carby and crank it over a bit to see if the mechanical fuel pump is actually pumping fuel?

  • Author

I'll probably get laughed at for this which line is the fuel line going into the carby? Theres a number of different lines going into the carby.

  • Author

Thanks for your help guys found out that it was a blocked fuel line coming from the fuel tank all fixed now glad Ive finally got it running. :wink: Also found out that that my ke70 is a jap spec version which has lots of emissions lines coming out of the carb which is why I had difficultly figuring out what 1 the fuel line was lol.

Edited by mighty_4k

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.