Nikki Carb On 4k

demuire

Justin: Jamie just said what I was about to say to you. HAIKAL'S NIKKI CARBY IS NOT A GEMINI NIKKI, AND NOT THE SAME AS YOUR NIKKI CARBY. From what everyone has told me today, NOBODY MAKES AN AFTERMARKET FILTER FOR THIS CARBY. A few of the shops I went to today have Gemini filters off the shelf, but like I said, this isn't a Gemini carb.

go to the wreckers and get a filter housing off an 808?

Went to 2 wreckers today, couldn't find any old Mazdas (well, not an 808 or a 1600 or anything that had a carby that looked like the one we have anyway).

Edited by demuire

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also should probably add that with the Mazda Nikki carby, didn't need to use a spacer under the carby, or shave the manifold. Just bent the spring return tab on the throttle linkage inwards and it cleared everything :( And, didn't have to drill out the throttle linkage either, the throttle cable fit straight in!

Edited by demuire

if there's something you can rest the filter on, like there's the throat lip on a K aisan carby, you can just make two round flats of metal, cut a hole in the middle of one, and use long bolts and some nuts to hold it together. just make it to suit any filter you find at supercheap, maybe the stock corolla one so you don't forget the part number :(

can provide dodgy diagram if required

A few hours of mucking around, and...

PICT2496-vi.jpg

:)

Now I just need to do something about the vent in the tappet cover...

The car runs SO MUCH BETTER now, starts easier and everything too. Only problem is it runs on a bit after you turn it off, not entirely sure why. Probably fuel mixtures all wrong.

Could be a vacuum leak I suppose, although I've got new gaskets through the whole carb. Didn't use any gasket goo though, I ran out. Valves sound ok, they sound better than Pinky ever sounded. But could check them to see if they're actually adjusted right. I think ignition is set at +10 or +12 or something, I forget.

How do you richen just the idle? Turning the mixture screw seems to change the mixture on throttle, but the idle doesn't actually seem to change (up or down). So... an overly rich mixture can cause it to run on?

So... an overly rich mixture can cause it to run on?

not really. more a symptom of a lean idle.

is the idle speed screw wound in much, or just touching the throttle linkage? how many turns in is the idle speed screw from just touching the linkage? also the idle mixture screw, how many turns out from just seating?

how badly does the car runon?

what are the sparkplugs like? condition? heatrange not to hot?