Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My 93' Corolla From New Zealand

Featured Replies

  • Author

Insanely Rare JDM AE101 Optional Rain Sensor

 

In Japan they had all sorts of crazy and quirky optional extras for the AE101 Corolla, and this optional rain sensor is definitely in the top 3 in terms of it's rarity. For almost 6-years I've only ever been able to see a tiny picture in the original sales brochure of the rain sensor and have never come across one in real-life, until early last week when I stumbled across one myself! :D. The only other one I've ever heard of was back in 2005 on eBay so the rarity of these are truly off the scale. It works by sensing the intensity of rainfall and automatically controls your windscreen wipers, varying the speed without the driver having to even touch the wiper stalk. For a full and very interesting read-up on how it works check out this link: http://www.fujitsu-ten.com/business/technicaljournal/pdf/2-7E.pdf

 

It was made in Japan by Fujitsu Ten for Toyota Motor Corporation back in the early 90's as an optional extra for a small selection of Toyotas and likely would have been a fairly expensive add-on. It simply plugs into the existing wiper connector for the combination switch and 'watches' for rainfall, while still allowing you full control over the wiper speed using the stalk if you prefer.

 

I very rarely drive my Corolla in the rain, so I'm still deciding whether I'll install this or sell it to someone who will get more use out of it, but either way it's a really cool thing to have found and another thing to cross off my 'optional extra bucket list' :D. The photos showing the sensor on the hood are how it's intended to be installed by Toyota, but if I was to install it on my Corolla I'd mount it on the cowling as seen in the other photos, as I feel it'd look a lot cleaner that way.

 

IMG_9786-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9780-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9781-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9782-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9792-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9795-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9793-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9796-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9797-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9800-resized.jpg

 

IMG_9801-resized.jpg

 

Options.jpg

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 331
  • Views 478.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • this car has you wrapped around its little finger.   every factory option it wants you give it :P

  • I like your member title, suits you perfectly! :wink:   New interior looks great, you can enjoy it & the newly purified air together! :cool:

  • never tire of seeing this :)

  • Author

Here's some latest photos. The first two were taken today (about 4-hours ago) and the last one is a cellphone shot from last Sunday :)

 

IMG_0109_tonemapped-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0077_tonemapped-resized.jpg

 

20141019_123714--resized.jpg

Beaut Car, love how your on the hunt for all possible factory accessories

 

the cell phone photo looks almost like it came from a 90's advertisement

  • Author

Beaut Car, love how your on the hunt for all possible factory accessories

 

the cell phone photo looks almost like it came from a 90's advertisement

 

Thanks man :). LOL yeah! I was actually thinking the exact same thing. Looks like it could have been scanned from the factory sales brochure or something. It has the '90's Japanese' vibe to it.

 

Here's one more shot from yesterday that made the cut:

 

IMG_0110_tonemapped1-resized.jpg

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

My latest addition is this Blitz Access ECU. This is a standard 4A-GE 20v Blacktop ECU that has been 'chipped' but Blitz in Japan, and offers more aggressive fuel mapping, a rev limit of 8,500rpm, no speed cut etc. Straight after installing it I could feel that the midrange power was noticeably stronger, allowing the car to get into it's power-band sooner and pull consistently until redline. The performance is similar to the 6-speed ECU I was running previously, but this one has a noticeable 'kick' to it when you put your foot down. I have to give the ECU some time to adjust to my mods and driving style, but so far the upgrade seems to have been worth it :)

 

IMG_0469-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0470.jpg

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Happy New Year to all! :D

 

First photoshoot of 2015:

 

IMG_0542_tonemapped2-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0549_tonemapped1-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0563_tonemapped3-resized.jpg

  • 3 months later...
  • Author

:D :D :D

 

I swear the kids ride in more style than what I do! :lol:

 

IMG_0894-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0898-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0907-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0903-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0913-resized.jpg

 

IMG_0908-resized.jpg

  • 2 months later...
  • Author

As much as I hate to say it, this build is now over and the car is up for sale :(. It's been a very enjoyable 6-years and I've met a huge amount of great people over that time, so I'd just like to say a massive thank you to everybody who has supported this project over the years and has offered their thoughts, opinions and encouragement. Without that, this build likely would've died a long time ago, so cheers! :D. I look forward to seeing what the future holds and the exciting times that are ahead :)

 

TradeMe auction link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=913025762

  • Author

its always sad too put your pride and joy up for sale.

 

Yours is one of the best "modern" corollas ive seen.

 

All the best to your next project.

 

Thanks man. I've never been as attached to a car as I am to this one, so it makes things very difficult, but with 3 kids, only a 2-car garage and other things to save for in the future (wedding, house etc) it's time for the Corolla to move onto a new home. It's been a great run, and one I'll always remember. My new car is a 2006 Toyota Aurion SX6 Sportivo. It's quite a different kettle of fish to the Corolla as it's a much larger vehicle, and packs a 3500cc 2GR-FE Dual VVT-i V6 under the hood. Practicality-wise it makes a lot more sense as I can fit all of the kids in it (carseats and all) and it has more than enough power than I'll ever need, while being a lot safer and more modern in the process. It has nothing on the Corolla in terms of quirkiness though and feels a lot more 'generic', but it's my new pride and joy, and one that I'll no doubt keep for many years to come :)

 

IMG_1139-1-resized.jpg

 

IMG_1127_8_9_tonemapped2-resized.jpg

 

IMG_1147-1-resized.jpg

 

IMG_1187-resized.jpg

 

IMG_1089-3-resized.jpg

 

IMG_1077-resized.jpg

 

IMG_1092-resized.jpg

 

IMG_1104-resized.jpg

As much as I hate to say it, this build is now over and the car is up for sale :(.

 

 

tumblr_lumraaPklZ1r0ojhto1_250.gif

 

Q93TOT0.gif

 

Lh7ZBNv.gif

 

not_having_it.gif

Thanks man. I've never been as attached to a car as I am to this one, so it makes things very difficult, but with 3 kids, only a 2-car garage and other things to save for in the future (wedding, house etc) it's time for the Corolla to move onto a new home.

 

giphy.gif

Haha friggen bubbles with his gifs!

 

Very nice toyoto oreo. Certainly a different beast to the corolla.

 

I always get scared when I see that model toyota oreo, as thats what undercover cops used to drive in brisbane! Haha.

Edited by ke70dave

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.