My 93' Corolla From New Zealand

Kiwi-Corolla

Insanely Rare JDM AE101 Optional Rain Sensor

In Japan they had all sorts of crazy and quirky optional extras for the AE101 Corolla, and this optional rain sensor is definitely in the top 3 in terms of it's rarity. For almost 6-years I've only ever been able to see a tiny picture in the original sales brochure of the rain sensor and have never come across one in real-life, until early last week when I stumbled across one myself! :D. The only other one I've ever heard of was back in 2005 on eBay so the rarity of these are truly off the scale. It works by sensing the intensity of rainfall and automatically controls your windscreen wipers, varying the speed without the driver having to even touch the wiper stalk. For a full and very interesting read-up on how it works check out this link: http://www.fujitsu-ten.com/business/technicaljournal/pdf/2-7E.pdf

It was made in Japan by Fujitsu Ten for Toyota Motor Corporation back in the early 90's as an optional extra for a small selection of Toyotas and likely would have been a fairly expensive add-on. It simply plugs into the existing wiper connector for the combination switch and 'watches' for rainfall, while still allowing you full control over the wiper speed using the stalk if you prefer.

I very rarely drive my Corolla in the rain, so I'm still deciding whether I'll install this or sell it to someone who will get more use out of it, but either way it's a really cool thing to have found and another thing to cross off my 'optional extra bucket list' :D. The photos showing the sensor on the hood are how it's intended to be installed by Toyota, but if I was to install it on my Corolla I'd mount it on the cowling as seen in the other photos, as I feel it'd look a lot cleaner that way.

IMG_9786-resized.jpg

IMG_9780-resized.jpg

IMG_9781-resized.jpg

IMG_9782-resized.jpg

IMG_9792-resized.jpg

IMG_9795-resized.jpg

IMG_9793-resized.jpg

IMG_9796-resized.jpg

IMG_9797-resized.jpg

IMG_9800-resized.jpg

IMG_9801-resized.jpg

Options.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Beaut Car, love how your on the hunt for all possible factory accessories

the cell phone photo looks almost like it came from a 90's advertisement

Thanks man :). LOL yeah! I was actually thinking the exact same thing. Looks like it could have been scanned from the factory sales brochure or something. It has the '90's Japanese' vibe to it.

Here's one more shot from yesterday that made the cut:

IMG_0110_tonemapped1-resized.jpg

• 1 month later...

My latest addition is this Blitz Access ECU. This is a standard 4A-GE 20v Blacktop ECU that has been 'chipped' but Blitz in Japan, and offers more aggressive fuel mapping, a rev limit of 8,500rpm, no speed cut etc. Straight after installing it I could feel that the midrange power was noticeably stronger, allowing the car to get into it's power-band sooner and pull consistently until redline. The performance is similar to the 6-speed ECU I was running previously, but this one has a noticeable 'kick' to it when you put your foot down. I have to give the ECU some time to adjust to my mods and driving style, but so far the upgrade seems to have been worth it :)

IMG_0469-resized.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As much as I hate to say it, this build is now over and the car is up for sale :(. It's been a very enjoyable 6-years and I've met a huge amount of great people over that time, so I'd just like to say a massive thank you to everybody who has supported this project over the years and has offered their thoughts, opinions and encouragement. Without that, this build likely would've died a long time ago, so cheers! :D. I look forward to seeing what the future holds and the exciting times that are ahead :)

TradeMe auction link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=913025762

its always sad too put your pride and joy up for sale.

Yours is one of the best "modern" corollas ive seen.

All the best to your next project.

Thanks man. I've never been as attached to a car as I am to this one, so it makes things very difficult, but with 3 kids, only a 2-car garage and other things to save for in the future (wedding, house etc) it's time for the Corolla to move onto a new home. It's been a great run, and one I'll always remember. My new car is a 2006 Toyota Aurion SX6 Sportivo. It's quite a different kettle of fish to the Corolla as it's a much larger vehicle, and packs a 3500cc 2GR-FE Dual VVT-i V6 under the hood. Practicality-wise it makes a lot more sense as I can fit all of the kids in it (carseats and all) and it has more than enough power than I'll ever need, while being a lot safer and more modern in the process. It has nothing on the Corolla in terms of quirkiness though and feels a lot more 'generic', but it's my new pride and joy, and one that I'll no doubt keep for many years to come :)

IMG_1139-1-resized.jpg

IMG_1127_8_9_tonemapped2-resized.jpg

IMG_1147-1-resized.jpg

IMG_1187-resized.jpg

IMG_1089-3-resized.jpg

IMG_1077-resized.jpg

IMG_1092-resized.jpg

IMG_1104-resized.jpg

As much as I hate to say it, this build is now over and the car is up for sale :(.

tumblr_lumraaPklZ1r0ojhto1_250.gif

Q93TOT0.gif

Lh7ZBNv.gif

not_having_it.gif

Thanks man. I've never been as attached to a car as I am to this one, so it makes things very difficult, but with 3 kids, only a 2-car garage and other things to save for in the future (wedding, house etc) it's time for the Corolla to move onto a new home.

giphy.gif

Haha friggen bubbles with his gifs!

Very nice toyoto oreo. Certainly a different beast to the corolla.

I always get scared when I see that model toyota oreo, as thats what undercover cops used to drive in brisbane! Haha.

Edited by ke70dave