Getting Rid Of Polution Gear - What Happens?

Twitch

Hi guys,

I have just had my exhaust done and I will be changing the carbi to a 32-36 weber.

When this happens, the polution gear will obviously need to go, what stays and what can go though?

Can I totally clean up the engine bay from all the little hoses and crap or does some of it need to stay?

If so then why? and what would happen if I just rip it all out?

Cheers -

Twitch

Members dont see this ad

the picture explains that it is illegal.

it won't work when you have extractors and a weber.

you don't mention what car it is in, nor what type of engine. how are we supposed to know what you mean?

sounds like a bad idea...

the picture explains that it is illegal.

it won't work when you have extractors and a weber.

you don't mention what car it is in, nor what type of engine. how are we supposed to know what you mean?

sounds like a bad idea...

Oh ok,

I have a 1981 Ke55 with a 5K put in it.

If it doesn't work with extractors and a weber then what is the point of it taking up meaningless room?

at the end of the day, toyota made your 5k with its standard exhaust and standard carby.

Your putting a non gen. part on it (extractors) and expecting it to still bolt up.

Trying to make it legal is another ball game.

I guess I should clear things up a little,

Can I totally clean up the engine bay from all the little hoses and crap or does some of it need to stay?

If so then why? and what would happen if I just rip it all out?

I don't particularly care if it's technically "Legal" or not. If it serves no purpose when it doesn't work with extractors and a weber then I just need to know if I can rip it all out or whether there are some hoses/stuff connected to seperate stuff or not.

some of the pollution gear will still work, ie the charcoal canister can still be used with extractors, the various vacuum hoses and valves on the factory carby were also there to aid drivability as well as pollution control.

you can make a preheat pipe attachment for your extractors if you wanted that feature, if you still use the factory aircleaner (which i guess you aren't)

what do you want to clear out of the engine bay specifically?

a pic might help to clarify.

some of the pollution gear will still work, ie the charcoal canister can still be used with extractors, the various vacuum hoses and valves on the factory carby were also there to aid drivability as well as pollution control.

you can make a preheat pipe attachment for your extractors if you wanted that feature, if you still use the factory aircleaner (which i guess you aren't)

what do you want to clear out of the engine bay specifically?

a pic might help to clarify.

What I would like ideally is to have a bare engine bay that has as least clutter and wires as possible. I want the car to go as best as it can and the bay to be tidy and clear. I am putting in an alloy container for the wiper bottle, alloy container for the overflow, a thermo fan so I can get rid of the belt fan and housing, custom battery box to hide the battery and wires, so what ever I can tidy up and get rid of, the better.

Any suggestions?

With a weber and extractors you only need connections to the carb and manifold for fuel, vacuum advance and the brake booster.

Being a post ADR car though, you could get defected for removal of the pollution gear. Legally you are supposed to retain all pollution gear that the car came with. It is your choice though...

The carbon cannister is a useful pollution addition that doesn't affect performance.

Edited by Felix

Hi Paul!

In Canberra, I had my engine number changed and had to go through the legal process. When I took it to the inspection station,

I was knocked back for not having my PCV valve hooked up, which is the small one-way valve at the far end of the rocker cover,

which is supposed to be on any vacuum hose run to the carburettor. It takes a minute to fix, if you have a vacuum hose. Also

the charcoal canister wasn't previously hooked up, but the hoses were there so just plugged it in then and there.

Once you've gotten your car past the rego stage, you don't really need to worry about it.

But a word of advice, the pollution gear which is GOOD to leave hooked up is the PCV valve and the charcoal canister as they

are both beneficial to your engine and car.