Ae82 Rack Ends

Hi folks, need your support and help.

I'm about to replace the rack ends (or inner tie rods whatever you wish to call them) on my AE82 hatch.

I've been doing a bit of studying and it seems to be a fairly straight forward procedure. Measuring and counting threads on tie rod ends.

I know it's a tight fit where the rack is but, is there anything I should be aware of that a manual doesn't tell you ?.

Has anyone else here done these before ?. Are there any traps I should be aware off ?.

Any advise would be welcome,

Cheers

Members dont see this ad
Thank-you 7shades, I've heard the locking tab can be a bit difficult too. I'm looking forward to that... :D

Its not toooo tricky... The metal itself is quite soft, you've just gotta get your aim right the first time you flog it :S

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that was pretty easy. I ended up doing the rack ends and tie rod ends. But here's a trick some may not be aware of.

There are 3 different types of steering rack ends for an AE82. Manual steer rack ends and 2 types of power steer rack ends.

One type of power steer rack is called a "TRW rack" (I'm sure someone here can tell me what TRW means) and these rack ends are longer

than the normal power steer rack ends. I asked for power steer rack ends and this is what I got. See below.

post-5661-1272287731_thumb.jpg

The black one is the old one off my car. The shinny new one as you can see is about 10 mil shorter. Which severely reduces the bite

the thread has on the tie rod. I was only getting about 2 turns of thread on the tie rod before getting the required length.

I didn't think this was the safest idea so took the new rack ends back.

That's when I found out about the TRW rack.

So here's a helpful warning to anyone else doing this. There is no noticeable difference between either type of rack end, apart from the length.

Either know what type of rack you have (stuffed if I know how to tell) or compare the new against old like I did.

TRW automotive manufactured racks for toyota, Depending on where you buy rack ends from sometimes it is easier for you to give the company the dimensions and buy them that way, When I was at road and track we had several problems with toyota racks and supplied parts, I think we used celica rackends on an AE82.

post-5661-1272287731_thumb.jpg

I tried putting twinky front hubs on a 4ac ae82. The hubs were different and both wheels were turned in after as like the steering was longer on both sides. I had to change it back to stock hubs because i couldn't even push the car downhill on the driveway.

I guess the shorter or longer steering rack rods must be compensated by the hubs.. :wink:

I tried putting twinky front hubs on a 4ac ae82. The hubs were different and both wheels were turned in after as like the steering was longer on both sides. I had to change it back to stock hubs because i couldn't even push the car downhill on the driveway.

I guess the shorter or longer steering rack rods must be compensated by the hubs.. :)

From what I have found (have not had the racks beside each other) power steer and manual steer are different lenght racks, I will confirm this properly one day.

From what I have found (have not had the racks beside each other) power steer and manual steer are different lenght racks, I will confirm this properly one day.

The rack ends for manual steer are longer than either power steer rack ends. So (and I'm only guessing) the actual rack for a manual steer must be a shorter unit.

The rack ends for manual steer are longer than either power steer rack ends. So (and I'm only guessing) the actual rack for a manual steer must be a shorter unit.

Yeah, as far as i know the manual steering rack is shorter. I want to change to twinky front hubs but not sure if i can screw the stock rack ends out 10mm to make the wheels straight.. :lol: might be a lil dodgy.. :)