Hilux Surf

andr3w

Gday,

I know its not a corolla but i am looking at buying a 1991 Toyota Hilux SURF, its the 2.4L Turbo Deisel, i was just wondering if anybody currently or previously has ownded one and what they thought of it? reliability and all that sorta stuff, anything i should watch out for ? Just a general heaps up, any advice or stories at all would be great,

Thanks a million in advance :thumbsup:

Members dont see this ad

I'll tell you straight up be very very careful.

Although yeh yeh it's a toyota, it's a hilux, it's a diesel, what could go wrong, but the 2 people I know that have had them have bought import, high kilometer ones and had to spend a lot on them.

Steer clear of the 2.4 and 2.8 autos. They have overheating issues due to the trans cooler blocking coolant flow. If you can get your hands on a kzn130 manual which is 3.0 litre you should be relatively safe. Just give it a thorough going over by a mechanic.

Cheers

Jason

Steer clear of the 2.4 and 2.8 autos. They have overheating issues due to the trans cooler blocking coolant flow. If you can get your hands on a kzn130 manual which is 3.0 litre you should be relatively safe. Just give it a thorough going over by a mechanic.

Cheers

Jason

+1

The power difference between the 2.4 turbo and the 3.0 turbo is incredible Just make sure the radiators not blocked and its running nice clean new antifreeze.

I was going to get one, how tall are you, cause the seating position is heaps weird and the one i was going to get had a leaky injector. And was told by heaps of people to avoid them, are you looking into getting into four wheel driving?

yeah its a manual,

I'm not to sure because a few people have told me to avoid them because they are the jap imports and are crap but some people swear by them, my mate has one and his hasnt had any problems but ive also heard stories of people having to spend an ass load of money fixing all the things that stuff up in them, at the moment I'm just looking at it but still having a good look for a good reliable fourby, and yeah I'm looking to get into four wheel driving a bit because my dad is in to it and i have always gone four wheel drivig with my family since i was a little kid but i havnt had the chance to own my own yet, my plan is to get a good fourby as a daily and i can start beilding up another ke30, thats the plan lol, but thanks guys :( are there any good makes and models of cars that you would swear by ?

Also does anybody know of any good P plate legal four wheel drives that could go off road in the brisbane area for around 7 grand ??

Edited by andr3w