Budget Build Street Car Need Help

iwontarolla

Hi I'm new to this website, but i can say i love the rollas.

I not sure if this is in the right spot but here goes.

I'm am 15 with a very small budget. Due to the fact i have spent money, where i shouldnt off damn expensive sports:(. I own a 1983 VH commodore it needs abit of work to get it legal again, but it needs alot of work to get it where i would like it. It's all so not a car i really wont. I am hoping to either scrap the VH or to sell it as a project. Here is my plans/goals ill start of wiht goals. I'm hoping to build a budget ke70 rolla or some thing in that area, I'm not wanting a full on show car now where near. I wod like to build one that is kinda like a race car striped interior and so on would be good to be a manuel. i don't wont any thing fancey till i am half decent driver. so just small mods nice set of 2nd hand rims all that stuff would be nice so heres the plan. things need to shop for

1.rolling shell including things like chassis, body , doors glass and every ting that makes it work etc.brakes diffs all that stuff(even complete car)rust and dents don't really matter

2. engine, gear box all the things make it move. kinda looking for 4a or 4k motor maybe even 16v if it comes at the right price

3.seats front would be nice if it was kinda sport

They are the main things for now at the moment i have a budget of about $900. i have a plan and its going to work for a budgetunder 2000 and it should be a nice little car.If any one can help wiht parts please send me a PM ill update soon wiht whats happening. thanks guys hopefully you guys can help me out wiht parts and tips. oh by the wa I'm in adelaide. hope fully every tig goes well

Thanks Chris

Members dont see this ad

Hold out for a good body, no point waisting good money making a rust heap go fast!. Also stay clear of unfinished projects, you'll end up spending even more time and money chasing bits you thought came in all those boxes of spares that came with the car?

Good Luck and welcome to Rollaclub!!

well i lovethe look of the ke70 and they sound to be a great car. for the 4age its a great motor isnt it. just some hing a bit newer in the car i guess. as or the project car I'm not really ooking for a project car just a car that is just not the best needs bit of work and so on if there are parts missing will have to go looking any way aye haha.

He did say however that his primary aim was the KE70 and would only get a 4AGE if it was cheap.
i have a budget of about $900. i have a plan and its going to work for a budget under 2000 and it should be a nice little car.

AE82 is within this $2k budget. 4age ke70 is minimum $5k budget. i know ae82 is gaywheeldrive but i don't want to bust bubbles for nobody... reality is reality. A bog standard 4age ae82 will outperform a 4k ke70 anyday within the means of a "budget"

You can't say project car and the word budget in the same sentence. Sorry.

AE82 is within this $2k budget. 4age ke70 is minimum $5k budget. i know ae82 is gaywheeldrive but i don't want to bust bubbles for nobody... reality is reality. A bog standard 4age ae82 will outperform a 4k ke70 anyday within the means of a "budget"

You can't say project car and the word budget in the same sentence. Sorry.

Yes and I agree but again he said he wants a KE70 and a 4AGE if it's cheap. He does not want an AE82, full stop. He only wants a 4AGE as a secondary option if available.

His primary concern is a KE70, and a budget of three grand is enough to get a KE70 up and running with some okay parts if you hunt for cheap ones and can do the work yourself. Sure, it'll probably be using the stock engine with some mods, but at the end of the day that is what he wants.

If I'm completely misinterpreting your desires iwontarolla I apologise. Just the way I'm interpreting it.

xmoht you have it pretty much spot on i wont a ke70 because 1. rearwheel drive 2. they look pretty sexy 3.seem to be plently of parts around. would only look at doing the 4age if it was cheap(the engine not the swap). i am also going to do all the wrok wiht th help of my dad. down the track if i keep it long enough i will probly do the swap any way but for now i would be happy wiht the 4k motor. now where should i stat looking for the car i wont some thing fairly cheap doesnt matter about alittle bit of rust or a ding or two thats easy to fix. do i look around on the forum or should i be going to wreckers ad look for a cheap car they have laying around?

xmoht you have it pretty much spot on i wont a ke70 because 1. rearwheel drive 2. they look pretty sexy 3.seem to be plently of parts around. would only look at doing the 4age if it was cheap(the engine not the swap). i am also going to do all the wrok wiht th help of my dad. down the track if i keep it long enough i will probly do the swap any way but for now i would be happy wiht the 4k motor. now where should i stat looking for the car i wont some thing fairly cheap doesnt matter about alittle bit of rust or a ding or two thats easy to fix. do i look around on the forum or should i be going to wreckers ad look for a cheap car they have laying around?

Wreckers is no good for a car, unless they have it sitting out the front for sale. Best bet is to look around the forums, and other online resources such as ebay, car sales etc.

I'd start with Gumtree and any other free newspaper ads.

Forums are not that good as we have overpriced ideas of what our cars are worth. Did you Google "KE70 for sale .au" ?

Occasionally KE70s come up in cheapish car yards as "take it away, as traded" and you get a running, registered car for a grand or so.

Keep looking, drive a few to get the feel of good (& bad) ones and don't rush.