April 12, 201016 yr comment_429262 Hey guys, been lurking these forums for ages but never actually post anything. Anyhow after many an argument with my girlfriend and a little bit of haggling I finally got my hands another KE70 This is the third corolla Ive owned and Ive always had a massive soft spot for them, the last 2 being a standard ke55 and a 4age powered ke70 (also owned an ae86 with a 4age) Anyhow... a few years ago me and a mate were driving all around the country side looking for old cars people had laying around to use as a cheap khanacross car (my mate bought a KE70 for $20 once lol) as we had in the past acquired all sorts of things for next to nothing. On our travels we found this ke70 which appeared to be in really good condition which we tried to grab off him, with very little funds we had to offer he wasn't willing to part with it so we just moved on. Three years later i was driving around the same area and noticed the rolla was still there. out of curiousity and the daily urge inside me to get another ke70 and I couldn't resist and decided to go ask him if he was still interested in selling it. He was keen as it was just taking up yard space and he had a reasonably new falcon sitting in his drive way. So I offered him $250 for it as it was now un-registered and had a couple of minor problems. So i asked my girlfriend(yes i am pussy whipped kthx) if I could spend $250 on the rolla, did not have much luck, anyhow after plenty of silly arguments and a few months later I bought my rolla for a total of $180. wooohoo! Its a ke70 with the later style front Its currently unregistered and I never originally planned on registering it as I just wanted a track car. but after driving it a bit and seeing how well its conditioned I might try and put 12 months on it before I start ripping it to pieces just for the fun of it. If i can't get it registered its no biggy as i bought it with the intention of using it on the track. My plans at the moment are... Corona struts/LCAs with Peugeot/Hilux brakes up front Falcon springs in the back unsure on which shocks to use yet. (any suggestions?) 16valve Bigport 4age (Ive never done the conversion myself, but have owned 2 cars the have been converted and Ive read nearly every article on it. so I'm excited about trying to conversion myself!) T50 gearbox don't know what to do with the diff yet, I had a welded standard diff in my old ke70 and its not much fun snapping axles, need to do some research....any suggestions? T18? Race seat/Harness Roll cage Stripped interior I just want something I can take to track days and use in the local car club events. Anyhow here are some really bad pics (only picked it up last night and worked all day today so it was night before I had a chance to get some decent pics.....will try and get some more tomorrow in light!!) How it looks today 04/08 Edited August 4, 201115 yr by lildavo Report
April 12, 201016 yr comment_429263 Great price and looks just as good mate! But that thing needs to get low more than a Vietnamese prostitute! Also go the TA22 or T18 diff, from what I've read anyway. Edited April 12, 201016 yr by xmoht Report
April 12, 201016 yr comment_429272 nice car especially for the dosh..... I believe some sort of commy shocks fit in the back, not sure bout the front (in sure someone will know). My ke30 took VN WAGON rear shocks I believe (might be the model after VN, not sure what it was, but just take your old ones in and compare lengths). Makes sure there wagon, sedan is way to long. Report
April 12, 201016 yr comment_429290 If you're girlfriend wouldn't even let you spend $250 on the car how long do you think it will take to complete this project with those plans. Piss the girlfriend off, the amount of poontang you will pick up when the KE70 is finished will be epic :bash: Good luck with the project :yes: :) :) Report
April 13, 201016 yr comment_429348 pretty much what myne looked bfor i started to work on it :wink: Report
April 13, 201016 yr comment_429372 If you're girlfriend wouldn't even let you spend $250 on the car how long do you think it will take to complete this project with those plans. Piss the girlfriend off, the amount of poontang you will pick up when the KE70 is finished will be epic :wink: agreed Report
April 13, 201016 yr comment_429431 nice base to start off with man and haha, if my gf ever told me to not get a car i just did it inspite of her haha, bought like um 6cars with her angryness lol, Report
April 13, 201016 yr comment_429440 nice plans you have there mate, for the rear shocks use suzuki sierra shocks by ultima Part No:360297 Report
April 15, 201016 yr Author comment_429836 Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. Redae71 is there any dramas fitting the sierra shocks with falcon springs? or is it straight fit? Havent been able to get out to my dads(thats where the cars at) to take more photos cause of work but should be able to on the weekend. going to pull out the rear suspension and take it in and compare it with the falcon/sierra combo. Thanks again for the feedback guys Report
April 17, 201016 yr Author comment_430462 Spent a little bit of time at my dads today, took some more photos and fixed the rear window that was broken from the previous owner. also took it for a little drive as my dad lives 20kms from anyone(kind of inconvenient cause the car is 20kms away from where I live) Anyhow. fixed the window for rego. now Ive just got to fix the passenger seat that has pretty much completely caved in and is sitting looser than a taiwanese prostitute, then I might see how i go with getting a blue slip. Anyhow heres some better pics that might better show the condition of the car... yay rust!@!!! me fixing window with a $2 supercheap toolbox :jamie: Report
October 30, 201015 yr Author comment_479157 Heya, long time no update. looking at purchasing a 4age now. An engineer in towns kid had crashed his ae82 twin cam a couple of years ago and i noticed it sitting outside the engineers work, so went inside and asked about it today and hes willing to give the whole wreck up for $800(might see if I can work him down a bit as I am pov) The motor was only just reconditioned before the crash, so hopefully its still got a bit of sting in it. should be making this purchase with my christmas bonus hopefully. The ke70 itself is in good health, still no rego. I was either going to spend my bonus on rego or a 4age, looks like its the 4age :) - might not worry at all about rego....see what happens anyhow heres a pic of the 4age... Report
February 5, 201115 yr Author comment_501124 Hey guys, just updating cause I put 12 months rego on it instead of purchasing the 4age, was a bit unsure about it cause i didn't know how the motor would be as the car was in a roll. Had it Blue slipped a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying driving it about, drove from Bathurst to Canberra in it the other week and have been driving around in it every day without any dramas so far. So far its cost me less than a $1000 including rego. The motor sounds like it has a bit of tapper rattle, but its still runnning great. will probably do an oil/filter change, replace all the spark plugs/leads and replace the air filter when I get a bit of time. My next plan for the corolla is to get a bit of suspension for it. Looking to buy Corona struts & LCAs - If anyone is selling any please shoot me a PM Will probably opt for the cheapest option in the back with cut falcon springs/commodore shocks, till I can afford a decent shock/spring combination, can't really see the value in spending alot when that combo will hopefully run fine. Anyhow gave the car a wash and took some photos - heres one, I don't think it had been washed in several years. Report
February 17, 201115 yr Author comment_503710 Just bought xt130 corona struts and LCAs for $200 from the wreckers YAY Will also be buying some commodore shocks/falcon springs soon Will be putting the struts in as soon as I get some 14 or 15 inch wheels and I'm not dead on my feet from being up for 27 hours due to working night shifts. Anyone know whats good springs & shocks to use with corona struts? everyone seems to chop them up and make coilovers out of them, but that seems like alot of work if I can just get a shock & spring to suit. Any suggestions are really appreciated Now to start saving for some nice wheels. Report
June 17, 201115 yr Author comment_532883 Cars been off the road for a while, waiting on parts...which finally arrived! I got some springs and shocks from Dave at AJPS... Not to happy about it though. I asked him for 7kg springs to suite the corona strut with the ke70 top. he said he could do this, but what I've been sent looks like its just an ae86 spring he had laying around and by the looks of the wrapping its only rated 6kg... Not to mention they only showed up yesterday when I payed for them 4 weeks ago. Anyhow... I'm tired of not having the car on the road, I'm going to try and fit these springs either way and If it doesn't fit or the spring rate makes it handle like poo I'll send it back to AJPS and get my money back and source something from else where. So now I have ae86 springs, st185 shocks and fitting kit to make them fit into the corona strut... I also purchased.... SSR mk1s pair of 14x7 and a pair of 14x6.5 from Roo A tacho dash from LukeAE71 5kg rear spring off Pandara65 off ae86dc Will be putting all the springs/shocks and struts in over the weekend and just waiting on the wheels and dash to show up sometime next week. I'm hoping to make it to an event at wakefield park on the 26th If all goes well. Also need help from anyone that has done this strut conversion in their *e7* which tie rods did you end up using? the standard ke70 ones? or xt130 ones? or something else? After the suspension is all in and working I'll probably buy a cheap, effective race seat and start saving my dollars for a 4age. Been very undecided about what 4age to get though... 16v Bigport - Cheapest and easiest to put in - least powerful 16v Smallport - Not really any harder than the Bigport, just have to organise Intake manifold roughly same price - bit more power 20v - Alot more expensive- probably wouldn't have the money for some time and alot more work to install- Significantly more power Been even thinking about the 4agze option but there doesn't seem to be whole lot of them around and they all seem to have something wrong with them. I'm leaning towards the 16v small port at the moment... Ah well, just start saving and see what comes up. Report
June 22, 201115 yr Author comment_534315 XT130 struts with st185 shocks, AJPS ae86 springs, tie rods and castor rods in... SSR Mk1s on How she sits Its at the mechanics at the moment, getting a wheel alignment in the morning, asked the mechanics to check all the suspension and brakes to make sure I didn't stuff anything up whilst putting it all together :) Will be having a run at wakefield park on the week end, should be fun, bit worried I'll be the slowest car there with the old 4k however :) Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now