Cam Differences

KE70slider

Members dont see this ad
is there any difference in 5k and 4k cam eg solid lifter and hydraulic lifter cams?

i am about to do a solid lifter conversion and don't know it i have to change the cam aswell

solid lifter = solid lifter cam and same for hydraulic lifters.

If your going solid lifter I guess your going a performance cam? It's just the ramp rate that's different, just tell the cam grinder what your doing and they'll do it to spec.

Also remember unless your gonna rev it over 8000rpm there is no point to solid lifters, hydro's have there advantage. You never need to adjust the tappets, which my worked 4K needed every time you were up it for an extended period of time.

I really don't think it matters. In my current 5k which has an unknown spec cosworth cam in it I just removed the hydro lifters and dropped in the (re-faced) solid lifters and away I went. Never had an issue.

FYI - Those lifter are already faced and ready to use. :D

no worries mate should i just drop those lifters in and not worry bout the cam as i think its a similar grind as the one i bought off you

and beer head . the car is a rally car in which it is going into. also doesn't the solid lifters increase ho far the valve opens creating more air flow into the motor?

Edited by KE70slider

Most of the worked 308 and 350 chevs are still on hydro lifters. I've had problems with solids with a 7500+rpm worked 4K, they just would unwind on the adjuster if I held the motor flat chat for too long. If the oil pressure in the motor is good, the lift of the cam should dictate how far the valve is open, but I bet the valve will open slower and you'll make less power with a hydro lifter due to the valve opening slower.

Ahh - Sounds like you've already got the solid lifters, so go with it, I was under the impression you were going to spend money on some more parts. When I priced the conversion it was going to cost me about $200 in new parts, and I couldn't justify it at the time. BTW, dependent on how much lift the cam has you'll end up on the limits of the rocker adjustment with 4K gear, as the 5K head is a thicker casting than the 4K so you could end up needing to shave down the rocker posts too.

Did you notice a performance increase with the solids taz?

Yeah, I abused my 4K on a daily basis, but the motor had no power till 4000rpm and I was readjusting the tolerances on a weekly basis for months :D Not really sure if there was something else that was wrong causing the issues with the mech lifters, but my mate with a 308 with 300rwhp at the time (now twin supercharged with 500rwhp) is still on hydro's and has never had to pull the rocker covers off to fiddle with anything!