Flat Shifting

Keep thinking back to an old Street Machine article on gearboxes. I quote:

"If you keep on breaking manual gearboxes, go and buy an auto"

Kinda agree - a k40 will tolerate some abuse if treated with respect - and abusing one will not make you faster, trust me

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no way you'll get it out of first without lifting off the throttle or using the clutch. Getting it into the next gear isn't so much of a problem, its just getting it out of the gear the currently has load on it.

Beaten by Taz.

If you don't back of the throttle it won't like coming out of first. Dunno if it would with some muscle. Try and let us know?

I drove a 90s model 626 around for nearly 2 months with no clutch. Loved it! Key off, first gear, turn key off you go. Once I fixed it I sold it cause it was no fun to drive anymore :D

I got my 20v wagon home when the clutch went but haven't really driven it much clutchless cause well, it's a 4wd gearbox and I don't want to stuff it missing shifts.

I can change up and down without a clutch on gravel, its just part of left-foot braking, but you have to lift the gas off to allow the revs to drop as the motor is doing less revs in second at the same speed.

If you want to go faster, sort the brakes out. Most people can't brake at the maximum possible and have it slide in the right direction into the corner at the same time, so you can make massive gains if you can outdo them there.

post-7544-1275469054_thumb.jpg

Edited by altezzaclub

no he has a stanza with a off its face l20 and he can't drive i win my class but i want outright

You wont get outright by flat changing. Your gonna go slower as the shock loading on the rear tyres is gonna break them loose. Its gonna spin up and YOU WILL BE SLOWER.........or you will be on a trailer with a broken box/tailshaft/diff.

You may be quicker with less wheel spin. I know I was quicker over a section of the local autocross track by keeping it smooth. Looked and felt boring, but the stop watch doesnt lie.

Trust me, been there done that.

Buy another car.

Or:

Drive smarter.

Drive smoother.

Look at your cornering angles. Approach departure.

Where should the car be?

Where is it?

How do I get it to where I want to be?

Watch someone faster than you.

Where do they drive?

How do they drive?

What are they doing differently?

Do I brake too early? Can I brake later?

Do I brake too late? Do I loose speed throught the corner because I'm still trying to scrub off speed?

What gear am I in? Could I hold that gear longer? Should I short shift, for a larger gain?

There are many, many ways to be faster, rather than abusing equipment.

Edited by Redwarf

i come socond outright against a stanza with a worked l20 lol and i race cars all the time i have a full race circuit car my dad drives v8 supercars

I don't care.

Seriously, if you want me to put up my resume, I'd be typing for half a day.

You either want advice or you don't. If you don't want to listen to others who've been there and done that, stop wasting our time.

BTW: Equipment doesn't equal talent.

play with tyre pressures

change tyres

change the time you run - if you start first try to run later after all the loose shit has been swept off by others or if it is getting chopped up try and run earlier in the order

lighten the car

move weight around in the car

change the suspension

drive with your head not your balls

You are not going to make up 3 seconds by flat changing during a khanacross. Even if you save 0.2 seconds every time you shift, you wont be shifting from first to second 15 times (not counting going back to first).