2tc Clutch For 3tc

Jono.C

Members dont see this ad

I knew you could use them, I was just encouranging Jono to find it himself.

From memory the TA22 flywheel has a 190mm clutch diametre whereas the 3tc (T18) flywheel is 200mm. Both motors use T series boxes so the input splines are the same, and the both have T series cranks so the flywheel bolt pattern is also the same. So like you said SLW, swap the whole lot - Flywheel and clutch and away you go. :)

yeah it all swaps over as in clutch pressure plate, clutch disc and bearing but....

just remember to remachine the flywheel to the bigger size clutch face if upgrading

or get it machined regardless the same size if downgrading. aftermarket flywheels

usually feature an oversized clutch surface from factory.

just remember to remachine the flywheel to the bigger size clutch face if upgrading....

I don't think you can do that! You'd have to drill and tap new holes for the pressure plate and re-dowl it too as the 200mm one would have a bigger pressure plate. Much easier to just swap flywheels and use the appropiate clutch kit.

ha but you can! :)

the clutch pressure plate mounting pattern is the same for the 2t and 3t flywheels,

the 2t runs a smaller push plate internally and 3t a bigger push plate...

and yes the 3t push plate is damn close to the pressure plate housing!

hence why i could run a 200mm 3t clutch with a 3t pressure plate on a 2tg flywheel as long as i

resurfaced the flywheel clutch face to the larger diameter :)

some old toymods 2t 3t clutch tech

Edited by styler

But at the end of the day it's still a t series engine and clutch, and in my experience there gay, all though if you are in the market for clutches and flywheels for them find yourself a 2tg flywheel there lighter than the rest of the t series flywheels, nothing wrong with the boxes though strongest t50 i've found

Edited by SLW42

Fair enough Styler. :)

I actually bought a 3tc (T18) clutch kit to use with my K-T with a liteace 200mm flywheel. All worked on paper. Went to bolt the gearbox to the motor and something wasn't right. :bash: Bloody pressure plate wouldn't fit inside the bell housing! :)

Ended up selling that clutch kit to a guy with a 2T/T50 and we tracking him down a 3tc flywheel to use with it...... which obviously wasn't neccessary then!

With the k-t wouldn't you have needed to use a k series flywheel and a custom pressure plate with a celica or t18 clutch plate? Or am i wrong

Remember K-T's were a standard fitment item in some cars so K-T clutch kits are actually a normal off-the-shelf item. You might find in some clutch catalogues you see for example "KE30/55/70 some 5 speeds" This is the K-T kit. If you go through the above exedy link I posted (its a new catalogue) and put in details for a KE55, theres a tab at the top "OEM equivalent clutch kit" hover your curser over it and it brings up a box with "Some 5 speed transmission". :)

If these kits didn't exist the easiest way to go about it would be to use a stock K series flywheel AND PRESSURE PLATE, and then just a custom clutch plate with the T50 spline in it.

I only tried the above mentioned T18 kit because I already had the 200mm liteace flywheel and thought the bigger clutch contact area would be nice. As I said, it all worked on paper, it was just the fact the PP didn't fit in the bellhousing that screwed me. If it had of been a hydo K-T I reckon it would have fitted.

Ah i see said the blind man to the deaf horse, but in my opinion k-t's are only for k motors with some decent poke like for instance, your turbo k motor TAZ, or a seriously pissed off naturally aspirated k motor. But thats just my opinion i could be wrong

• 4 years later...

Just found this thread while searching and one difference not mentioned is the pressure plate fingers are a few mm taller on the 3t,

as well as the throwout bearing is a few mm thicker as well compared to the 2t. The 3t throwout bearing has a bigger ID and wont fit

on the 2t collar at all so you need to use a combo of >>> 2t bearing, 3t pressure plate and 3t friction disc and it will be only slightly taller

which is the best case scenario so far I would say...

It looks like the carrier that the bearing sits on can possibly be machined down to drop the 2t bearing

height and hence restore the original geometry of everything.

Other options are to use the 3t bearing but with a machined ID collar spacer to fit the 2t carrier, but this is messy

and also the carrier would need a lot of additional machining down to suit the extra 3t bearing height.

Theres a a chance that a 3t bearing carrier may also fit and work in a 2t box but yet to see if its possible.

Edited by styler