Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How To Remove A Ignition Barrel

Featured Replies

Hey guys i did have a another useless brake thread but i changed my search terms and found that the Girdlocks are only a slight upgrade and they need another rotor from the ke55 :bash: I love the search button

 

But i was wondering how to remove the ignition barrel i searched it and one came up but i wouldnt really find where i had to put the flat head slot with the hacksaw blade

 

 

thanks for the info in advanced guys :P

Edited by Chief

Are you wanting to remove just the ignition barrell or the housing?

 

Because it seems to me that what you're referring to is the shear bolts, which you have to cut off to remove the lock housing from the steering column.

  • Author
Are you wanting to remove just the ignition barrell or the housing?

 

Because it seems to me that what you're referring to is the shear bolts, which you have to cut off to remove the lock housing from the steering column.

 

 

Just the key barrel because I'm selling it as a set with the door locks and key

Ok, here's how you do it as per my workshop manual.

 

1. Turn key to accessory position

2. Insert a pin (paperclip works too by the way) into the hole at the side of the key cylinder and whilst holding a gentle pressure towards the anti-clockwise direction, push in the spring loaded plunger with the pin.

3. Remove the barrel and key assembly

 

Installation is a reversal of the removal procedure.

 

There ya go. Pretty simple. :P

  • Author

WOW

 

That seems pretty simple

 

 

thanks raven thanks for going to the trouble man

Ah- nice, Raven. That's the sort of info that is always handy to have stuck in a reference somewhere...

 

I had mine apart apart a few days back as I chased a wiring problem, but I only took the electrical side of it off. Turned out one fusible link had broken inside its insulation down on the starter motor, so it wasn't supplying the ignition system all the time.

All good. :bash:

 

I should chuck it in a tech article somewhere, but I'd need pictures to go with it and my pair of corollas are a half hour drive away :P

  • Author
All good. :(

 

I should chuck it in a tech article somewhere, but I'd need pictures to go with it and my pair of corollas are a half hour drive away :bash:

 

Did you want me to get pictures man?

(i finally found my camera today btw YAY :P

sounds alot easier than remove the sheerbolts!

sounds alot easier than remove the sheerbolts!

 

They're not that hard to do with a centre punch and a hammer. Or use a dremel cut off blade to cut some slots in them.

 

Raven/Cheif - Any chance of getting some pics of removing the door and boot (sedan) locks as well. I know its easy but it would be really good if we could have a "How-to" thread on removing/re-installing all locks, not just the ignition barrel ones!! I would be happy to pull the boot lock out of my wagon again for the sake of a tech article, then you'd have how-to's on ALL locks. :(

  • Author
They're not that hard to do with a centre punch and a hammer. Or use a dremel cut off blade to cut some slots in them.

 

Raven/Cheif - Any chance of getting some pics of removing the door and boot (sedan) locks as well. I know its easy but it would be really good if we could have a "How-to" thread on removing/re-installing all locks, not just the ignition barrel ones!! I would be happy to pull the boot lock out of my wagon again for the sake of a tech article, then you'd have how-to's on ALL locks. :D

 

 

Yeah taz i could do that for you mate do you want me to email them to you or put them on here i already sent the ignition barrel ones to raven :(

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.