5k Oil Pump

I've got a recon 5k motor which has solid lifters and new oil in it, but when I start the car I let it prime itself then go to start it but it sounds dry and sounds like the lifters have no oil on them. Would this be an oil pump and if so where can I get one from???

Members dont see this ad

Have you run it?

If this is every time you start it, change the oil filter for a genuine Toyota one-

We had that problem (noisy for 15seconds at startup) when we bought the car, and the oil filter had no/faulty non-return valve and drained itself overnight.

If you haven't started it yet, what sort of "dry" sound? Clacking of tappets?

Yeh my guess is that the tappets haven't been gapped properly.

I disconnected my coil and cranked it for 15 seconds when I built mine, just to get some oil moving through the system. I also made sure everything was liberally oiled when I bolted it together.

Did you check the clearances on your oil pump when you had the engine apart?

Hello,

First off what solid lifters you using?

This is a off shot but you might be losing all your oil pressure at the lifters.

I had a 5K once the hole for the hydro lifter oil passage was drilled a tad higher than another 5K block I had laying about.

Thus when running chev solid lifters opened the hole and oil went oh into lifter and I got no pressure.

Long shot but I know this CAN happen.

But most likely not running correct tappet clearence..LOL

Cheers

Cameron

Hello,

First off what solid lifters you using?

This is a off shot but you might be losing all your oil pressure at the lifters.

I had a 5K once the hole for the hydro lifter oil passage was drilled a tad higher than another 5K block I had laying about.

Thus when running chev solid lifters opened the hole and oil went oh into lifter and I got no pressure.

Long shot but I know this CAN happen.

But most likely not running correct tappet clearence..LOL

Cheers

Cameron

if that is the case.. the oil gallery can be blocked by making something to fit under the grub screw in side of block between dizzy and front of engine.

Is the oil light working, coming on with ignition and going off when you start it??

In which case you have oil pressure and its not a pump problem.

The filter problem would show as the light being late to go out, maybe 15seconds after you start it instead of almost immediately.

What sort of noise does it make?

OK, so the light goes out almost immediately which means the pump and filter are getting oil up there.

The "randomly" is a worry, its not a tappet gap if it comes and goes. Does it stay quiet once the motor is running and its gone quiet??

Can a lifter stick up and click until its lubricated enough to slide easily and allow the tappet gap to occur at the rocker/valve interface?? I wonder if a lifter is sticking 'up' against the pushrod and the tappet gap is occuring between the cam and the lifter until it settles down and slides up and down easily.

The only other thing that taps is bad news... a broken ring causes random piston slap I've found.

• 1 month later...