Matts Swb Pajero

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, this is an awesome project I am extremely jealous and feeling even more stupid that I got rid of my Pajero......Did you look into the GTO motor before going to the commodore motor? I was thinking of doing that conversion as it would just bolt in, 3.5lt twin turbo 6g74 (I think that's the engine code).

Yeh i did look into the gto motor, fairly briefly though,

the gto is a quad cam engine, so would be more suited to a swap into the 95 onward (nj) pajero.

I was also concerned about the clearance of the turbos in the bay as well, custom manifolds would be likey i think,

i didnt manage to find anyone who had done it, or any pictures of one done.

I did try to track an engine down too to have a look at, but was unable to find one anywhere in qld.

I decided the commo motor would probably end up being the easier conversion in the end.

I'm not the biggest fan of the thought of the it, but i think once its done, in function it will a blast.

In fact we estimate it will probably run a high 14 on the quarter mile with the 10psi pulley on it.

The old beast is going to be a whole lot of fun up fraser island, or thrashing through the bush!

Moved the motor into final position today, but first:

factory mounts had to get removed off chassis, they simply didnt even get close to lining up, so out came the grinder.

This is factory jero position vs commo engine position.

IMG_1884.jpg

jero mounts gone, will also have to re-make the passenger side mount for the engine, it is factory alloy and all wrong for me, so will have to make another from scratch.

IMG_1883.jpg

mounts, will likely reuse these, engineers like a factory look.

IMG_1885.jpg

put pajero transfer/gearbox crossmember in and bolted up.

IMG_1894.jpg

engine in final position.

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Engine mounts! half done......

This is the passenger side mount off the motor, it is all alloy and goes really low to avoid the air con pump that sits right beside it. It hits hard on my front diff well before the motor is in position.

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

So, i had to design, and make a new mounting point off the motor, that clears the aircon. it has to fit behind it in the narrow gap between the aircon pump and knock sensor.

This is made of 6mm and 8mm plate. I am using shackle rubbers for engine mounts as i went though a heap on my last jero.

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

This is the adaptor to go to shackle rubbers on the drivers side of the engine, not ground and painted yet.

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

So now i can actually start to mount the engine, and do more on the sump.

sorry didnt read it rite ps and ds.

its gonna be very stiff still dude.

had an identical setup in my old bagged nissan 720 motor shook the f@$k outa the car as shackle rubbers are made to stop it moving side to side but still spin if u kno what i mean engine mounts are made to twist and go side to side.

Yeh, you are probably right. To be honest i have never made mounts like this before.

My old man runs a hod rod shop, and most of the rods run this type of mount, so i am happy to give it a try.

The commo engine should run nice and smooth, so it wont be like a lumpy old beast.

I hope its not too bad, give it a try i guess.

yeh mate, a bit has happened, no pics though,

have made chassis side of mounts, still need to tack them in place.

have also made half of the sump, but need to finish the mounts so i can remove the blocks of timber the motor is sitting on to trial fit it.

pics soon :yes: