5k Block, Which Head To Use?

Zoidburg

Hi there,

Building up a 5K block and have several heads at my disposal, 3K, 4K and 5K. The 5K head needs to be repaired, so as a cheap solution I want to use either the 3K or 4K head on the 5K block.

Will a 3K/4K head bolt onto a 5K block without any hassles? I also want to use the 5K hydraulic lifters and rocker gear, so will they work with a 3K/4K head?

Also my 5K block has dished pistons. Will that cause any problems when using a head intended for flat tops?

Thanks very much.

Members dont see this ad

i don't know the K motor specifics,

but its all about combustion chamber volume.

if you put a 3k head on a 4k block and the compression goes up, then the volume of combustion chamber inside the head must be smaller on the 3k head than on the 4k head.

and visa versa, i assume if you were to put a 4k head on a 3k block, the compression ratio would go down, since the 4k head has more volume then the 3k head.

and then you got dished vs non dished pistons, the dished ones have more volume than the non dished ones etc.

and combinations of all these different things can either provide a higher compression, or a crappy low compression. depends what you use.

Okay, makes more sense now.

I picked up another 5K head today, is in real good nick so I'll just use that. Not worth cheaping out here, would want it to have decent compression.

Thanks for the advice guy's. Think I'll have a much gutsier 5K because of it!