Laser Cutting

greenmac80

Hey jst wondering if anyone has something they would like drawn up into a DXF file.

I've procurred Turbo CAD and i've so far designed an inlet manifold flanges and the first half of a bellhousing adaptor.

i am wanting to try a few more things out. let me know!

cheers, Luc

Members dont see this ad
Hey jst wondering if anyone has something they would like drawn up into a DXF file.

I've procurred Turbo CAD and i've so far designed an inlet manifold flanges and the first half of a bellhousing adaptor.

If you can have a look at another CAD program by Autodesk called AutoCAD Mechanical or Inverter as most industries are using these and have a much larger file extensions available.

I have found these programs to be a better (Mechanical is mainly for 2D and inventor is for 3D)

keep up the great service

well as for the laser cutting i thought DXF is all you need? they cutter converts it to whatever he needs to use it?

i can probs get my mate to find autocad for me. but turbo cad works well so far. bear in mind i've had no training or anything. i'm winging my way through it and self teaching.

and from what i've heard autocad is a lot harder to use.

• 3 weeks later...

ALL SHIT.

Solidworks baby. Here's to Dassault World Domination!!

Autocad easy, turbo cad easy they're all just 2D drawing packages. Mechanical Desktop and Inventor are overkill for basic 2-Dimensional images.

If you want to do lasercutting profiles for any items you want to get folded, then a 3D package makes it much, much easier.

I'm using solid works right now, to do some FEA analysis. currently its solving my model, last time it took 7mins.

remote desktop'ing into our super computer, 24GB of ram baby!!! hate to try and solve it on my desktop PC with its measly 4gb ram...

for a simple DXF you can't go passed autocad, some things only need 2d.

all our drafting here is done in autocad (easy stuff 2d, more complex 3d) and the drafters are fast at it. the console in autocad is great, once you learn the commands you can blast through drawings.

and although solid works is great for design, its a pain in the ass for drafting.

and if you are not careful in solid works you can screw things up real quick, editing parts that are linked to drawings and assemblies, and everything just falls appart.

Hiro you can't piss on Solidworks then offer up shitty old Pro E as a better alternative LOL. Last time I used ProE they hadn't updated the interface since they invented it!

I spent 7 years using Unigraphics and was a staunch advocate until I started using SW. Was using SW2010 last night and the detail changes since SW2007 are awesome.

SW still needs work with its assemblies though, UG was always pretty robust in that department.

Worst I ever used was Ideas. Terrible.

Hiro you can't piss on Solidworks then offer up shitty old Pro E as a better alternative LOL. Last time I used ProE they hadn't updated the interface since they invented it!

I agree that Pro/E's interface isn't the best and outdated (you can still tell that it is based off a Unix core as file names can't have spaces :P), nor is it the prettiest (but it doesn't need to be), they have made some big improvements in Wildfire 4 and 5 (we're using 4 at work), but the real power lies beneath the surface, especially in the assembly packaging. Other people that work here agree with me too that it isn't the most intuitive package, but it is much much more stable, robust and powerful than Inventor/NX/etc

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

i am wanting to try a few more things out. let me know!

cheers, Luc

And the original topic....... I think a bit of a dxf library would be great, inlet & exhaust shapes, gaskets and bolt patterns etc. I'm happy to contribute where I can.