4K Ke55 Wont Start

RogerRamJet

Hey.

My rolls wont start, but with a bit of persistence it eventually turns over. It's not a battery. Once it starts it runs as per usual. But the *second* you kill it, and try turn it over again, it doesn't. It just struggles and struggles. I turned the fuel pump on and looked at the filter and noticed the filter wasn't filling up. It's getting spark all well and good, so does my problem lie in my fuel pump?

Every now and then the pump sounds like its chugging air, I don't know how to fix this, but if I fiddle around with the pump it stops.

Anyway, sorry in advance for the seriously vague explanation, if you need to clarify something just ask me, as I would sure love the help.

Pat.

Members dont see this ad

don't really know what you mean by winding over, but yes, it "starts", but only very temperamentally. But if you kill it, it will not start again unless you leav it for 30+ mins, and even then there is no guarantee it's going to start back up.

The motor turning over via the starter.

So... winding over is when you're cranking the engine on the starter but it hasn't fired yet.

Slow winding over means battery failing or starter motor problems, but I assume that is OK on your motor and you're suffering flooding/lack of fuel or timing/spark related problems.

How about checking the fuel level in the carb a few times. Its a pain, but it will tell you if the 'not starting' is from too little fuel or too much. While you have the carb partially opened up, check that screws here and there are tight- make sure the carb is firm on the manifold and the top half of the carb is screwed down tight.

Too little could be a blockage in the line from the tank to the pump (my ol' man had a leaf in the tank that would cover the outlet occasionally) or a hole in the pump diaphram or dirt under the pump valves...

Too much fuel wold be from a leaking needle & seat in the carb top.

Anything else odd showing up?? backfires or black smoke or getting 200km per tank of fuel?? It runs on 4cyl OK as soon as its started does it?

or does it run on 3 and then the misfire vanishes??

Check the points gap & timing also, as poor starting comes when the spark is retarded.

Edited by altezzaclub

ok i know this may sound so bloody stupid but it has worked for me take all your fuses out start the car then replace all the fuses and try start it againg when i did the cam in my 4k i started it and it ran really rough i pulled the fuses started it and shut it off replaced fuses and it started and ran fine

Hello, i have a very similar problem with my ke70.

On some occassion's my car will start, but when i turn it off after a while it wont start. it either starts really well and quick or itll crank really slow until it just gives up and then it wont even try to crank. i just had a second hand starter motor installed that was in good condition, my alternator apparently could be better. I thought it was the alternator but i put a brand new battery in and still it didnt start even though it was fully charged.

I changed the battery terminals and that didnt work either.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks