The 'K Engine' Cam Thread.

7FOUR7

G'day everybody, I'm in the process of building a quick slap together 4K (because I already have the engine) for my ke20 for some summer cruising.. Over summer I am building a forged, boosted K engine to hopefully have ready by winter for racing season.

My main objective is to have something that sounds pretty cranky, even if it's not if you know what I mean. I know it's only a 4k and it wont be fast anyway but I would like a cam with a VERY choppy idle and I'm also going to shave the head for 10:1 comp, throw in some valve springs, a weber and an exhaust. Don't really care if the cam isn't really suited as I said I'm mainly after the sound for hitting cruise spots in the summer..

So basically I'm asking what cam you guys have, what K engine and how does it sound/ perform?

Would be excellent if people could throw some vids up of exhaust not and what not as well :)

Ps. I'm not just a poser either, I'm serious when I say I'm building a quick K engine, I have owned numerous fast cars including vl turbos with 320rwkw, 270rwkw and an 11sec GTR (which a couple of people on this forum can vouch for) :)

Members dont see this ad

I doubt you will get it to idle at all with the set up you are talking. 450" lift is stupid. Believe me, you are a kid with no experience, I have done what you are saying you will do 15 years ago when I was young and stupid. It wont work. Without DCOE Weber style carbs you are wasting your time, and it will also make your car go worse than the stock cam.

If you are smart you will ring wade cams and get their advice and listen to what they have to say. They know their stuff. $160ish later you will have a cam that runs, has the lumpy idle you want and will make the car go.

If you want a rotary, go get an rx7 and hang around with those idiots. Appreciate the corolla for what it is.

Edited by mitch82
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks captain negetivity, it's not my fault your father beat you when you were a kid...

To say that I am a kid with no experience is a load of bullshit.

I have built many successful cars, just none with K engines.

Heres a quick example of my last effort.

PA240083.jpg

PB060174.jpg

PB060173.jpg

Go somewhere else and talk down to people

.... although he does have a point. I'd go for something around the .400. There's no point in putting it in if it's not going to work properly. I had a really nice Wade that I used to use that was a 30/70 .400 lift that would have given you close to desired results and would have been effective. I had a cam that was a 25/65 .435 lift, and it needed dcoes.

Yeh I second that, no need for lift just to get the engine lope.

If you really want to do it, run a milder grind that lopes like Red said. Also, a light flywheel will help, I run a stock flywheel with a large cam and I don't get much lope.

Also back your timing down as much as you can.

As for the one-upmanship Mitch and 7four7, take it no further please.

Edited by philbey

To get the best out of a big cam you will need to match the rest of the engine to it. You need to remember that when toyota built your 4k they matched a small cam with small ports, valves, carb, compression, ignition and exhaust. Without changing these things to suit, your motor will be off the cam at low rpms, and when it does finally cut in, it wont be able to breathe properly and wont make power.

But, having said that, I say go for the biggest cam you can get your hands on! Get all the best advice you can, and then go one size bigger than the biggest they recommend. Makes for one really angry motor. And and an angry sounding motor that struggles to idle with a massive cam will always sound cool to me!! Do it and post a sound file or something. I wanna hear it

nfi on this cam i got, heres the specs but

109degree?

ex --------------------- in

open 32 closed 22-------------open 24 close 60

lift at lobe .250"

lift at tdc intake .043 at lifter

running clearance 0.16" hot

anyone pass on some info?

Edited by Evan G