Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The 'K Engine' Cam Thread.

Featured Replies

G'day everybody, I'm in the process of building a quick slap together 4K (because I already have the engine) for my ke20 for some summer cruising.. Over summer I am building a forged, boosted K engine to hopefully have ready by winter for racing season.

 

My main objective is to have something that sounds pretty cranky, even if it's not if you know what I mean. I know it's only a 4k and it wont be fast anyway but I would like a cam with a VERY choppy idle and I'm also going to shave the head for 10:1 comp, throw in some valve springs, a weber and an exhaust. Don't really care if the cam isn't really suited as I said I'm mainly after the sound for hitting cruise spots in the summer..

 

So basically I'm asking what cam you guys have, what K engine and how does it sound/ perform?

 

Would be excellent if people could throw some vids up of exhaust not and what not as well :)

 

 

 

Ps. I'm not just a poser either, I'm serious when I say I'm building a quick K engine, I have owned numerous fast cars including vl turbos with 320rwkw, 270rwkw and an 11sec GTR (which a couple of people on this forum can vouch for) :)

  • Author

any specs on that one bud?

>30/70 :) would probably do it.

 

Also, exhaust and intake can change the note ALOT.

 

PS I have a camtech 621 (260 deg adv dur) in a 4K. Torquey but boring

Edited by KENut

  • Author

I'm looking at a camtech 608, 290deg adv duration, .453" lift. sound big enough? I want the idle almost rotary sounding choppy

Edited by 7FOUR7

Shhiiitt, camtech has added 5K cams to its list. Check out the 507 haha

 

But anyway, 608 will have to do I suppose :laff: Seeing as its the biggest 3K/4K.

 

Yup will sound kinda rotor like

I doubt you will get it to idle at all with the set up you are talking. 450" lift is stupid. Believe me, you are a kid with no experience, I have done what you are saying you will do 15 years ago when I was young and stupid. It wont work. Without DCOE Weber style carbs you are wasting your time, and it will also make your car go worse than the stock cam.

 

If you are smart you will ring wade cams and get their advice and listen to what they have to say. They know their stuff. $160ish later you will have a cam that runs, has the lumpy idle you want and will make the car go.

 

If you want a rotary, go get an rx7 and hang around with those idiots. Appreciate the corolla for what it is.

Edited by mitch82

  • Author

Thanks captain negetivity, it's not my fault your father beat you when you were a kid...

 

To say that I am a kid with no experience is a load of bullshit.

 

I have built many successful cars, just none with K engines.

 

Heres a quick example of my last effort.

 

PA240083.jpg

PB060174.jpg

PB060173.jpg

 

 

Go somewhere else and talk down to people

.... although he does have a point. I'd go for something around the .400. There's no point in putting it in if it's not going to work properly. I had a really nice Wade that I used to use that was a 30/70 .400 lift that would have given you close to desired results and would have been effective. I had a cam that was a 25/65 .435 lift, and it needed dcoes.

Yeh I second that, no need for lift just to get the engine lope.

 

If you really want to do it, run a milder grind that lopes like Red said. Also, a light flywheel will help, I run a stock flywheel with a large cam and I don't get much lope.

 

Also back your timing down as much as you can.

 

As for the one-upmanship Mitch and 7four7, take it no further please.

Edited by philbey

I have a rotary-like idle with a 35/75 cam with unknown lift. It wouldn't be more than .400 as I only run a single downdraught. When the engine dies (it's a K-engine, so good luck) I'll get it out and get someone to measure it up for me.

To get the best out of a big cam you will need to match the rest of the engine to it. You need to remember that when toyota built your 4k they matched a small cam with small ports, valves, carb, compression, ignition and exhaust. Without changing these things to suit, your motor will be off the cam at low rpms, and when it does finally cut in, it wont be able to breathe properly and wont make power.

But, having said that, I say go for the biggest cam you can get your hands on! Get all the best advice you can, and then go one size bigger than the biggest they recommend. Makes for one really angry motor. And and an angry sounding motor that struggles to idle with a massive cam will always sound cool to me!! Do it and post a sound file or something. I wanna hear it

My ke11 3k has a Ivan tighe 140 in it. Pretty damn lumpy... sounds tops at idle and goes great to 8krpm :) it is a built motor though.

 

Do what makes you happy eh..

nfi on this cam i got, heres the specs but

 

109degree?

 

ex --------------------- in

open 32 closed 22-------------open 24 close 60

 

lift at lobe .250"

lift at tdc intake .043 at lifter

 

running clearance 0.16" hot

 

 

anyone pass on some info?

Edited by Evan G

yeah I'm in the same boat just wanna make a f@$kin mean sounding k motor don't care about power haha

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.