Gear Crunch

andys-corolla

Members dont see this ad

yeah id say its common for this to happen in older cars.

my t50 does it a bit. in fact most manuals ive driven have done it at some stage....

what you can try and do is to put it into 1st before you try for reverse.

i don't know the exact science but i hear rumours of "it stops the lay shaft from spinning" which will help you get it into gear.

seams to work well in my car.

and yes the reverse gear is straight cut, not helical and it does not have a syncho, so you need to be completely stopped before you try shift into reverse. you will find that almost every manual gearbox has reverse gear like this, as there is no need to go into reverse if you are moving forward.

failing this maybe change your gearbox oil, i think there are a few brands out there that are supposed to be better for worn gearboxes.

um no because i normal leave it out off gear when i stop but when i put it in slowly it feel like it try to kick outta gear

when you take it out of gear from a forwards motion gear do you then release the clutch and depress it again before trying to put it in reverse. because this is what i meant.

nope why should i

oh man.... seriously.... :bash:

cos then, oh i dunno, it might stop it from crunching a little going into reverse, you know, remember the question you asked for advice on?? This is what i have had to do in all 3 of my ke70s (1983) AND the two Mitsubishi Colts (1987) i have owned to put it in reverse, don't ask me how it works, it just does.

you could just keep being a dick tho, its all sweet, next time i just won't try to help

no bark of my knee.

oh man.... seriously.... :bash:

cos then, oh i dunno, it might stop it from crunching a little going into reverse, you know, remember the question you asked for advice on?? This is what i have had to do in all 3 of my ke70s (1983) AND the two Mitsubishi Colts (1987) i have owned to put it in reverse, don't ask me how it works, it just does.

you could just keep being a dick tho, its all sweet, next time i just won't try to help

no bark of my knee.

oh ok now i get it i feel so stupid right now

Even my reasonably modern Subaru gearbox crunches going into reverse. Wouldn't be too concerned if a 30 year old box is doing it.

It won't hurt your clutch, since the clutch is inside the bellhousing, and the gears are inside the gearbox case itself.

I'm pretty sure that crunching reverse is pretty common in older gearboxes as the reverse gear is straight cut. Have you tried double clutching to get into reverse?

(correct me if i'm wrong someone)

this actually increases the problem. Ke70Dave has got it right.

Reasoning: Releasing the clutch in neutral spins the input and lay shaft(or the primary shaft on FWD's). the reverse idler moves into mesh between the lay shaft and the output shaft(or primary and secondary on fwd's), if the lay or primary shaft is still spinning(due to a recently released clutch or dragging clutch)then the reverse idler will crunch when engaged.

Clutching in then shifting to first uses the syncro to stop engage first gear which stops the lay or primary shaft from spinning, stopping the crunch when you then go for reverse. if the reverse idler still crunches after this procedure, then the clutch is usually dragging(not releasing correctly)

also most gearboxes produced after 1995 or there abouts, slightly move one or two forward gears when trying to engage reverse. the movement of the forward gears is just enough for the syncro/s to slow the lay or primary shaft....stopping the reverse crunch.

completely normal, I drive new Toyota's every day and cars with under 10000kms

BULLSHIT.

If the ex's brand new yaris was crunching in reverse when she drove it out of the showroom I would of went and got Toyota to put another box in it or fix the clutch.

Reasoning that the AE8* crunches 2nd is clutch drag or the shifter bushes on the box are sloppy, I fixed mine with a shifter bearing kit.

well not as often as older cars, some new corollas I have noticed with the 6 speed when going in reverse but not very often, what I meant was that it happens in newer cars just gets worse when they get older.

Edited by 19914afc