Painting With Acrylic Enamel

chrisso

Ok my keto is crying for some fresh paint,

atm it is the faded blue colour.

i was thinking of going over the top in a white acrylic.

i do know alot of prep is required just wondering if anyone has had any good/ bad experiences with painting with acrylic.

how much do i need to sand of? obviously i know I'm not going to get a flawless finish just want it to look good from a distance haha.

car has no bog amd only light surface rust in some areas, i was hoping to use my dual action sander on the boot bonnet and doors and then go over with wet sanding and the rest wet sanding aswell, then hitting a primer wet sand again 2 coats of white then a coat of clear.

any thoughts much appreciated thanks guys

Members dont see this ad

Wipe the whole car over with prepsol before you start, then wash off.

Wet sand all over with 600-1200 grit.

The idea is not to take paint off, but to roughen the surface, as soon as the shine is gone from the paint it is good to go.

I recommend to be careful with using machines, as you may ruin the surface flatness, will only take a few hours by hand.

Use a sanding block for all flats.

any rust spots need to be taken back to bare metal, treated and etch, undercoat used.

ok this sounds easier then i thought, should i use a specific primer? or any automotive primer from supercreaps will do the job? aslong as its not a 2pak primer i gather.

and what about thinning is there a ratio i should follow or just whatever sprays nice without dripping?

thanks for info so far :happy:

Yeah, whatever primer, (k+h sucks) you should etch prime bare metal before primer,

some products claim to etch prime as well though which would be ok on small areas.

Its been a while since i have used acrylic, i can't remember for certain how much thinners, all of the above people would know though.

I got told 50/50 but no idea if thats true so don't go doing that :) Best to go to a paint shop to get your paint and primer I went with a mate and he got 4L of paint 4L of thinners, wax and grease remover and a mixing container with ratios written on the side for $200.

For my paint job we used acrylic basecoat and that was mixed 1:1 with R198 basecoat reducer.

We used 2pac primer and clear on mine but the process would be the same i guess.

Layed the primer down, hit any runs with 320, then took of the orange peel with an 800 wet sand.

A few coats of colour

Then 2 coats of clear (i have a flake in the 1st coat, 2nd coat with straight clear so we could polish it)

Edited by SLO-030