Awd Conversion

cp1989

Members dont see this ad

it can be done, i did a lot of research into this a while ago.

you'd need a ae95 gearbox, a gt4 gearbox, gt4 rear diff assembly & rear body section. not for the fainthearted, but possible

in japan there is a 4x4 corolla sedan - the earlier ae90 series cars do run the ae95 type diff - which would be a bit crude, but easier than doing the irs conversion

T

Hello, if you are any where near pick'n'save wreckers at boundary rd carole park/wacol area,drop in and have a look.They have an ae92 and an ae95 up on stands side by side.Makes it easy to compare them.I had a bit of a look(the same awd conv crossed my mind too)and the only probs that I can see,is where the shocks and springs attach to undercarriage of car.The rest is pretty much a bolt fit.You may need to take a bit off the side of the petrol tank,as it will come very close to tail shaft.The ae92 looks to have enough of a tunnel to allow shaft.You will obviously need the gearbox and diff from ae95 and I was told you will need the motor(or at least block)as it is supposed to be the only one that will bolt to gearbox(not confirmed,only hearsay).

Also, I have seen one(and only one)bolt on attachment for ae92 to convert to awd and it was listed on ebay a year ago(I was outbid).Not too sure how it was done,that's why I wanted to buy it,but apparently there is at least one conversion out there.

Anyway, if you happen to find anything,let me know.I am willing to convert mine as well.

THANK YOU.

I'm not actually, i've never even heard of it lol. I'm from the central coast.

yeh that seemed to be my problem as well. ive seen a suzuki swift converted to awd and it had the rear attachments cutout of another and welded and bolted into it. maybe something like that could be done. hopefully don't need the block. i don't want to pull that apart again. just doing overhaul motor at the moment, new head gasket, timing belt, front and rear oil seals, cam seals, inlet and exhaust gaskets and possibly turbo rebuilt. i'd probly need a bigger tunnel too, 3inch exhaust.

that would have been awesome to get. i'll keep an eye out for anything.

cheers mate

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking doing something just a little different....

Going AWD but using a Tercel and a 4AGE but could be interesting. But still bloody ugly. Need to work out front cross-member, possible AE71 as the 3A was in the Tercel. And no central diff could casue problems.

Just an random thought train.