2Tgeu Into Ke20

benhachi

First off ill let you guys know its already in a ke30 2 door. I'm wondering if it will be much harder to convert it into my ke20.. its got a 4k atm..The motor comes with the celica box.

Ive got a crook diff so it will be going and i would need to know what be best to replace it.

any info on engine mounts, wiring, clearance problems etc? has a write up been done on this before?

But yeah just bought the 20 with a 4k and she runs nice but i can get a good deal on my mates 2t. its twin side draft. =)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also info on here, you just need to use the search function.

Most "KE2x's" (or in other words TE21's and TE27's) sold in the US had 2T's in them from factory, and of course Japanese TE27's had 2TG's.

It is simply a matter of modifying crossmembers and the engine will bolt in. No firewall modifying required. Perhaps the post above referred to a 4AGE?

Of course there are numerous other issues to sort such as clutch actuation and so on, but it isn't hard, and a good modification for the car.

Hi, just reading your comments on fitting the 3TGEU I take it you experts have been through this exercise yourself.With the front pulley against the swaybar you cannot get your fingers down the back of the firewall unless you have a magic shoehorn. Admittedly we fitted an automatic to Marks panelvan and would have had to cut the floor anyway as this car was a manual and unless you are fitting this gearbox to a automatic floorpan youwill have to do the same.You stated that they came out standard in USA unfortunatly their brake system is on the left hand side and you have to move the mastercylinder to the right to clear the fuel injection etc.I'll still say it is not an easy job. Cheers

Lou

You are right about the swaybar, you just need to change to the appropriate swaybar, which isn't a KE20 one. If you use an early T50, there is no need to widen the transmission tunnel, couldn't say for the later T50 presumably fitted to your injected 3TGEU. If benhachi is fitting an earlier 2T, it is likely he is using the earlier T50 fitted to a TA22. With respect to the master cylinder, you are also right. Ideally you source the correct master cylinder which in a RHD configuration, needs to be very close against the strut tower. Some TE27's in RHD came with a brake booster, and some came unassisted. Again, it is a matter of sourcing the correct parts to ensure everything fits in. I sourced a TE27 pedal box, engine crossmember and manual trans crossmember to ensure everything fits as it should

There is no need to cut the firewall at all. The hard part if not sourcing original parts is making sure you fabricate your engine mounts precisely to ensure you have adequate room, primarily for the clutch and brake masters.

Ah ill go back to him and get as much info on it as i can, ( ill take detailed photos) . I just figured since it was in a ke30 coupe it would fit in the ke20 no troubles.. but seems that the 20 is alot smaller... yes its a manual and would like to keep it that way with the celica 5 speed. ( hopefully >_< )

Also with the brake side of things my 20 has disk brake front end. hoping that wont complicate things.

From what i heard its a 3T bottom end with a 2T top end. having been rebuilt only 2000 kilometers ago i jumped on the chance to buy it. He's holding it for me to make my mind up.

I have some but limited fabrication experience..

And Lou since you have already done this before any chance i could slip you a carton to come down and give us a hand with it one weekend? I'm located Gold coast northside.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm that much closer to knowing how to go about it.

Is this what i need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Corolla-71-72-73-74-te21-brake-booster-te27-/190461805329?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c58688311#ht_6571wt_941

Edited by benhachi

Hi, The first thing to do before you move or cut anything is to find the centrepoint of your firewall i.e. (measure between left and right guard and halve). then measure between the centre of the engine to the outside i.e. to either fuel injection manifold or carby air cleaner. It will give you some idea what's in the road of your engine (brake or clutch cylinder etc. Probably a look is worth a thousand words so give Mark a ring on 0450 241 110.

Cheers

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

ok the 4k is sputtering oil out of the exhaust pipe... so i think i will definately go the 2tgeu. just for the record its a 3t with a 2t head. so I'm guessing it has a bit more power over the standard one.

I have my work doing the engine and gearbox mounts. they are all engineers and have a car hoist. i need to know what to do about the tailshaft and diff. will i have to get a custom tailshaft made up? thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it illegal to run it without a sway bar ( only temporary) ? Ive got the engine sitting in the bay just test fitting it. Its got twin Dellorto carbs and the corner of one of the air cleaners has been pushed in a bit to clear the brake master on the previous car it was in (ke30). I have angled the mounts from about 58 Degrees which the 4k was at, to 50. So now I'm thinking of getting it in, bolting the gearbox cross member in and marking how far forward the engine mounts have to be moved. Take it out change the mounts put it in there. get it all going and then get a sway bar done in a few weeks. Is this the right way to go about it?

Have clearance issues with the brake master, wondering if anyone knows of a master that is not so far out from the firewall

Edited by benhachi

I just finished this conversion into my KE30. It is easier to build your own engine mounts to get your motor dead center (does come close to original radiator ) then build your own cross-member mounts. You need a hydrolic clutch setup and you will also need to cut a hole in the floor for your gearstick. I still have the original master cylinder on and it just clears the carby. I can put some pics up if wanted