External Voltage Regulators

parrot

So I am curious

What is it about external voltage regulators that make them specific to a car. Is it simply the wiring in/out of the regulator, or does it have something to do with the potential output of the alternator?

Thinking aloud as I am planning on more than doubling the current (edit) output from the current alternator to run assorted accessories including spotlights etc.

Edited by parrot

Members dont see this ad

I've never tried what your saying, but if I designed the regulator I'd only use big enough diodes to rectify the AC voltage as the rated current that the alt delivers to reduce the cost.

What engine is this on? Probably worth getting a later model alt with an internal reg that'll fit. Get new crimp pins for the reg plug and you can tap into the needed feeds at the reg.

Mainly for a KE15 which runs I think a 30A alternator. I plan on doing a substantial lighting upgrade, along with electric fuel pump and a few other electric doo dads, and have a 65A alternator for it.

Would prefer to keep it looking pretty standard within reason, though I will for example be running electronic ignition on it, and of course upgrading the wiring to the lights.

When the TE27 replica is done, I will be doing the same sorts of thing with that.

VL ones are bosch to so a die hard KE15 fan would spot the mod a mile awaya..LOL

I poped the top off mine a while back to clean the contact points witha file. From memoryy I saw large coils no diodes. BUT I didnt rip into it much.

So possibly the current handling of the coils that changes??? not sure will watch thread for answers :)

Cameron

P.S. Just went through my service book the external regulator can be adjusted by bending the "adjustment" arm to increase or decreas output voltage. Not sure how much adjustment this would give but one possible option.