Ae71 Wagon.

gmack

Hey peeps,

I recently bought a nice AE71 high top wagon. I've owned a couple of RWD KE/AEs before but never a wagon.

I know that the wagon rear end differs from the sedan quite a bit, with leafs, a different tailshaft and different diff set-up.

What I'd like to know is how to lower the rear end properly, it's going to be a daily drifter so I'm guessing I'll need some tramp rods and a panhard?

I want the arse end to be as low and as stiff as possible.

Any info would be great.

Members dont see this ad

Resetting the leafs is fine. But is there a common way to reduce axle tramp in these things (other than bushes etc)? What (if any) short stroke shocks will fit?

Do the T50 diff centers from 71s, 86s etc fit the wagon diffs?

Edited by gmack

You will need to check the axle code which is on the VIN plate.

AE71 vans had S series diffs which were same as local Sprinters (AE86)

AE71 wagons however may have same as local AE71 sedan, you will know once you check the plate.

You can get tramp rods which stop the tramp, called Caltracs but they are not cheap.

How much power we talking??? I have a 4AGE in my AE71 van and it doesn't tramp

Thanks for the info Luke, I'll check out the VIN plate and diff.

We're not talking much power atm, it will have it's stock 4AC for a while (with a few minor cheapo mods). After that it will be getting a spare RX4 N/A Carbie 13B @ around 150kW.

Does anyone have the specs and measurements of the Caltracs tramp rods? It might be cheaper for me to make them rather than buy them.

Edited by gmack

Also...

I really need to hook up a hydro handbrake. I haven't tried to do this with drum brakes before, any tips?

I haven't had a close look yet, are the rear drums hyrdo or power assisted cable? Do you have any suggestions on keeping the drums effective under heavy braking (other than drilling venting etc)?

Edited by gmack

for wheel size, 14x8 with around 0 offset sit nicely, well they did on my panelvan. but really depends if you want to do some guard work, don't see the need for anything large than an 8.5.

Diff: ae71 wagons are borg warner diff. panelvans are s series.

hilux leaf mounts are different to wagon leaf mounts according to e7van (you know, the guy with brown panelvan) so either way you're going to have to get mounts welded onto whatever diff you choose. As well as custom tailshaft.

as for shocks wagon/panelvan shocks are shorter than sedan so you can get away with running suzuki sierra shocks, which are small and stiff good for skidz etc. its always a good idea to re-do bushes in any older car you buy.

With lowering your leafs, smart thing would be to get it reset and an extra leaf added for stiffness. or if you want to do it on the dodgey flip leafs and put landcruiser leaf in for stiff.

Got the 71 running nicely. One major concern I have though is that it has a super stiff brake pedal. Any common reasons for this in a 71?

The brakes work quite well, but the pedal is way harder than my mate's 86 or my old KE70.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have the specs and measurements of the Caltracs tramp rods? It might be cheaper for me to make them rather than buy them.

If you are thinking of making Caltracs this may be of some help:

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/traction1.html

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html

W.

Edited by woteva

• 1 month later...

Hey Pazsa, it's been a while since I checked this forum, I've been giving some love to the RX7. Thanks for the tip.

That's actually heaps of help woteva, I'll start a project thread as a bit of a tutorial when I start doing it.