Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4K Coil Pack Upgrade?

Featured Replies

Hey guys finally got my 4ku running this week after several months of work on the engine headwork, cam, sidedrafts etc. My mechanic reckons my factory coil pack just isn't upto it and not sparking enough for the engine so I'm after a new 1. What do you guys recommend I upgrade to? I heard bosch is good but I have no idea what model would be good for my engine. How hard is it to hook up the coil can we do it in my backyard lol or will I have to take it to an auto electrician? Oh yeah I have a points dizzy or at least I'm 99% sure I do lol, thanks guys.

Edited by mighty_4k

Upgrade to a electronic distibutor and use a Bosch GT40 coil, there is a guy on here that sells new distributors. (KE motorsport in the site sponsors area)

Jono do they feed more voltage into the coil for a bigger spark? or do they just replace the points as a timing device and leave the coil to run on the same voltage??

You can't upgrade the coil without replacing the points otherwise you burn them out, the voltage is the same (without the ballast I mean). And from previous threads you'll know that when you put something like a gt40 in place of the original the amount of current through the ignition system is greater.

 

Another thing is if you want to go one step further is to get a programmable ignition system which will require an electronic dizzy.

Or Upgrade to a GT40R. Designed to run on the factory point system and will be an improvement over a Stock 30-40yr old factory coil.

I'm upgrading to an electronic dizzy and using a Bosch GT40, although the GT40 has been discontinued and replaced by the GT40T but it says on the front of the GT40T box "WARNING: use only with contact points ignition systems" or something similar to that. So I don't know what the go is there as I thought the GT40T was the one you use with electronic dizzies and the GT40RT was the one you used with points dizzies. Anyway you can get the old style GT40 on ebay (cheaper too) if you decide to go electronic dizzy, and ditch the resistor if you do, otherwise go for the GT40R like SLO-030 suggested.

 

Edit: I thought 4k-u engines had electronic dizzies? I'm pretty sure I have an old 4k-u electronic dizzy sitting in the shed at home.

Edited by rianwest

He could have a bitsa motor. If you have points then electronic is definitely better. Being a contact less system there is less in there that's going to limit the energy going to the spark plugs. Judging by how many electronic ignition motors run a wider plug gap (and I'm pretty sure it's the same for K motors) then yes, there is more voltage going to the plugs. Even the normal bosch coils that are suited to electronic ignition worked fine for me.

  • Author

Thanks for your responses guys. I would like to keep my current dizzy to be honest just don't really see the point of changing it when its working perfectly fine and my 4ku has done low ks so it should be sweet for some time yet. I thought it was a given that I had a points dizzy but after rianwest's comment I'm not really not sure anymore. How can I tell what dizzy I have for sure? Some info I can provide is car is 82 ke70, original 4ku not touched at all until I got my hands on it lol. We had to fiddle around with the dizzy a lot finally after a long time we managed to get it pin-point perfect and the 4k fired up.

Edited by mighty_4k

Easy. look up a picture of points on Google images or similar. Take your distributor cap off, if similar is there, you have points! I can't remember what style of trigger the K motor electronics have, but you'll probably see some sort of coil and just a star shaped bit of metal on the shaft for electronic.

 

I think electronic is a worthwhile upgrade. On a stinky old Datsun I had the motor stayed in tune longer, revved higher and more freely, and was generally more responsive all through the rev range. For the money, a good upgrade.

If it has more than 1 wire coming out of it, it's an electronic distributor.

 

Does anyone know how the GT40R is internally to give it a boosted output without increasing the current through the points?

  • Author

Hey guys ending up figuring out my dizzy is a points dizzy brought a gt40r coil and it works perfectly engines definitely getting more spark now :cool: Thank you for your help.

not to hijack. But i was wiring up my car last night (elec dissy and gt40 coil) and wasn't sure about the resistor. Now my coil says i HAVE to run it with a resistor, so i do? silly question i know.

Then if i take the resistor out, what do i do with the connections that go to it?

You must have the GT40R, you should probably run the resistor with that. I think if you want to get rid of the resistor get a GT40 (without the "R"), then the heavier wire that goes into the resistor (it comes out of inside of the front right quarter panel I think and is black and red?) goes onto the +ve on the coil.

 

Edit: I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, I'm going to run out to my car now to check.

 

Edit #2: Here's how mine goes:

-Wires from front right quarter panel:

Black/Red wire goes to positive on coil(used to go to resistor)

Black/White wire earths out under the coil bracket

Plain black wire goes to negative on coil

Plain red wire goes to positive on coil

 

-Wires from distributor:

Black/White wire goes to positive on coil

Brown wire goes to negative on coil

 

-Noise suppressor thingy goes to positive on coil

 

By the way this is in a KE70 running an electronic dizzy without the ballast resistor, I'm pretty sure I got everything right. Hope it helps

Edited by rianwest

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.