Kaye The Ke70

RainWarriorDregs

Hey guys, my name's Alec, i've been around here for a while wheeling and dealing but i thought i'd make a thread for my beloved KE70 "Kaye"

Long story short: It was early 2008 and i was residing in North Queensland as a uni student and had no car to get around in. I spotted on the side of the road one day a baby blue KE70, I'd always been a huge AE86 fan and the keto caught my eye. So I called up the number and the guy came out to show me the car. The asking price was $2600. It was a 4 speed CS KE70 with some fairly decent rust but it ran. I ended up haggling the guy down to $1000, cash in hand and drove her home. Unfortunately i didn't take too many pictures in the early stages, but this is pretty much how she looked.

image106m.jpg

minus the tacho and some other stuff. Aaaand she was pretty rooted. When bought this car i knew nothing of engines, it was like learning on the job. Alot of stuff was wrong when i went to get it roadied and it ended up costing me $700 in repairs (pretty good as i was quoted 900).

kator.jpg

Another shot from the early days. This is pretty much how i got her.

First things first i did some minor interior mods. Just an alright stereo, some 6 inches, some 6x9s, seat cover for driver (others were immaculate), steering wheel etc. Oh yeah almost forgot, straight up with a dash mat, i love them so.

image063copy.jpg

img6807nl.jpg

this was the first pic taken on my mates brand new iphone haha. External tacho due to dash tacho not working, i just liked the green clock.

Also was rocking this touch screen sony dvd player for a while whilst my mates 180 was off the road. Pretty cool, but chicks always wanted to touch it, there's no radio aerial for a reason, i like MY music.

image247vi.jpg

Then from here little things were done, distributor changes, carby changes (all stock), pretty much anything that could be changed i did. I also got bored and decided to put a pod filter directly onto the carby. Now before i get yelled at by the powers that are, i knew exactly what i was doing. I was making alot of noise for an almost placebo like amount of extra response. Damn it was fun tho, and real real real loud when you'd fly by someone at full pelt. Made people look at the ol girl when i'd go on boosts with the turbo boys.

image239hf.jpg

She used to put along pretty good for a while there. So we decided to move onto body fixing. it was pretty nasty. Rear end was rust. All wheel arches were rust, under the fuel cap was rust, and a corner of the rear window was rust. So i did some little things around the car.

some lowered springs front and back.

dscf6267n.jpg

a 32/36 (no pic required we know what they look like) ditto with the extractors. And i fixed up the struts new springs and all.

image273e.jpg

But the rust kept bugging me. The worst was the back, so my mate Bob and I set out to it.

image201q.jpg

image203v.jpg

image204.th.jpg

image207i.jpg

image215h.jpg

and she crusied around like this for a while

image220v.jpg

So the car drove around for a bit, then i wanted to pay attention to the rest of the rust. However i got a crazy idea. Why not buy more corollas? And convert mine to flat front. So me and my mate Macca drove to Cairns and picked up two cars off a lovely young man. Both 4 spd 4kc, One blue slant front ex speedway car and one flat front white one that was completely rooted, smashed bonnet, windscreen but perfect guards and fronts and lights.

dscf6294.jpg

white one after i pilfered um.. a few parts.

img7035b.jpg

The blue one that i drove back from Cairns on some random hotwires with NO tread banging out the ol 4k in 4th gear as my mate tows the white on with his hilux haha. But that's another whole different story.

So i took the front end off the white one to convert mine to flat front and took the diff and engine out of the blue one because it was ok. So we took the front off mine.

image282r.jpg

and put this one on off of the white car. For those playing at home, who can spot my fatal flaw?

image002r.jpg

image001pqk.jpg

image297n.jpg

So at this point the car got stripped back to metal completely. And resprayed in high fill primer. I did the door jams in some killrust to stop some rust i'd converted but am planning to do them in 2pac primer and top coat.

image0006y.jpg

As i was stripping the car i took out every interior plastic and reinforced and sprayed them with plastic paint, i can't find any of the pictures tho. The seats were also wet/dry vacuumed and the carpet replaced with an ebay molded jobbie. New horn button (TOYOTA) and gearbox surround were added.

Once all this was done and the car was back in road drivable state (sort of) i drove it back to Bobs house for the rest of the welding. We had a convoy going, my mates s14 in front and Bob in his magna behind. The rolla had no door trims, no interior plastics, no back seats, no parcel shelf, no indicators or headlights (but had brakelights :happy: ), let alone it was half high fill, half blue spray bog and a little matte black luckily he only lives around the corner.

but baack to the rust, this section was especially bad. but i had to cut it out at my house and drive to bobs with it only bolted in haha (no 15amp power point at my house for the welder >| )

image008ty.jpg

We found ALOT more rust in the back and it had to be sorted.

image0063ok.jpg

These sections were quite bad. Along that lower seam was destroyed and everything else just crumbled :sob:

image0071i.jpg

as was this whole plate, looks better welded in :blush:

image0067q.jpg

the whole back

image0066t.jpg

and voila, never would've known.

image00902.jpg

Then we went about the wheel arches and a few panels with holes, no pics were taken, pretty boring stuff.

and here she is! boosting down the road, doing one of my patented fly bys. My pod used to scream. Haha. Useless thing it was.

dscf7575.jpg

dscf7582.jpg

dscf7585b.jpg

I was so excited. My baby was back on the road, it had been about 14 months to complete the rust work and get to this point, all that time off the road. I was ecstatic. Over the moon. We'd taken the metal for the welds out of the blue and white car and it all fitted together awesomely and look straight as. The light brackets we'd made for the flat front lights to fit the slanty front radiator support panel worked a treat and you couldn't notice the repairs on the back.

However for those listening carefully my fatal flaw was the bonnet, i hadn't thought that out exactly. The bonnet i had, had been danced on. Was proper rooted, so i had to spray it black. No point wasting good paint. But a good man by the name of 7shades hooked me up with a flat front bonnet and boot! Good stuff. Even organised with another mate of mine to have a fella from some 4x4 forums drive it down (i will be forever grateful guys, seriously). So it was all honky dory, i got rid of the black bonnet and boot lid and drove the car with a massive grin.

All my Christmas's had come at once.

Then 5 days later the engine blew.

Now don't get me wrong, i strapped this car. 4 gears, she was quick, not fast. 0 - 60 she was a little demon, around corners, all high revs. She loved it. I did oil changes religiously every 6 months, everything was up to scratch. I washed this car twice a week, i love her why wouldn't i? (this is where i get strange looks from girls).

We couldn't figure it out, everything was sweet. But she wouldn't rev, would just die. I had mechanic mates look at it, random mates and mates of mates. No one understood. I claim a bent rod, or valve or something, somethings just a little off. The engine always had an idle like it had a massive cam, then was unnoticable under load and on acceleration. Weird car.

So i did the only thing i could. Bought another rolla for the engine. This is another entirely long tale for another time, but long story short i met an old guy called Norm, bout a roll and a 5 speed box off him for 200 bucks and he towed it to my house on his car trailer. Fair dinkum queenslander, awesome bloke.

So i ended up with this.

img7051m.jpg

awesome chromes which i needed, perfect bumpers, rust everywhere and a sweet engine. Water proof too, like a movable shed for my parts :happy: but the 5spd ended up being for a ke55 not ke70 and as i didn't want to hack at mine i sold it.

So we tore the engine out of my car, and tore the engine out of the new yellow one i've just bought. pics of a crappy 4k and engineless ke70 aren't really interesting.

Now i had 2 choices, put a VRS kit through the yellow engine, drop it in and just have the car running in a weekend.

OR

Go nuts.

I took option two.

We took the block from the yellow car and head from the blue car and combined.

- Full tear down.

- Acid bath

- Over bored cylinders, 20 thou oversized pistons, new oil rings, bearings.

- Twin row timing chain.

- Spaced oil pump.

- Every seal and gasket brand new.

- New elec dissy, GT40 coil.

- New fuel pump, water pump.

- 32/36DGEV (disabled choke) no emissions at all on anything.

- Head recon, acid dip etc new valve seals etc, valve seats, port matched to inlet manifold.

- Inlet manifold bead blasted and all emissions gear rerouted and taken off.

combined with new radiator, recon master cylinder, thermo fan and recon wiring loom. this might not sound crazy to some of you, but it was well beyond what i had imagined i'd end up doing. I wasn't planning on spending thousands on the engine, didn't even want to spend hundreds haha. But i went nuts. I also sprayed the wheel arches in sound deadener and decided to respray the engine bay. I went with an Audi/VW 2pac blue as it was hard to find a shade of blue that didn't have purple in it in the sunlight. While all this was happening i took out the crossmember and steering rack etc and cleaned it all and replaced broken bushes and resprayed it all. I put some XT130 LCAs in it and bought a sweet whiteline sway bar for it too. Here are some happy snaps from a while back.

IMG]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3695/1001842k.jpg[/img]

1001845w.jpg

1001852d.jpg

pretty crappy engine pics i know, but i'll update tomorrow when i can get some, it's currently on the stand with everything on it ready to drop in.

dsc07572y.jpg

dsc07573m.jpg

dsc07574v.jpg

dsc07581y.jpg

I have also tended to the interior some more. I installed a decent alarm with 4 door keyless entry and siren etc etc. I got a oil and oil temp gauge and an ammeter to keep an eye on a pesky battery drain problem. I also took the little green clock out of my wrecked tacho dash and put it in my clock dash, just for shits and gigs.

image0384.jpg

image0386.jpg

image0387.jpg

And that's about it. I never intended this build to go fast, but it was more of a learning experience for me, parts of all 4 ke70s i've had will combine to make this one awesome one. I've got heaps more pics, all the ignition gear is installed, i'm just waiting on my Exedy heavy duty clutch. New rims have also been sourced, some meshies that fit nice and snug, once i've finished lipping the guards i'm half way through. Just gotta get the camera out for some fresh pics.

I'd just like to thank a WHOLE lotta guys off here, um Felix, 7shades, Littleredspirit, Evan and Simon i'm sorry bout the gearbox again :blush: anyone i've forgotten i'm sorry, i'm sure i've forgotten stuff on my car, but you win some and lose some.

So yeah, i've spent WAY too much money and time on her. Owned for about 2 and a half years, and driven on the road for about 8 months tops, haha. And in fear of sounding like 17 year old on his p's (i am not that young anymore :( ) it is a great little car to slide around in the rain, in controlled situations of course. Nice little car all round, can't wait to get her on the track.

Big things in the next week! We could see firing!

Alec

Edited by RainWarriorDregs

Members dont see this ad

Thanks mate :cool:

didn't get much done today, helped my mate put his alarm in.

But i was reading some stuff in this thread

Clicky click

about my coil. I have the GT40TR (or RT) and i have an electronic dissy. Is the TR designed for points and use with a resistor? I'm a little confused, its wired EXACTLY how my old one was, but i just have an elec dissy?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, not much going on. I'm still iffy on my ignition wiring and stuff, but i'm still waiting on my damn clutch. Apparently my mate is going to sell me his xf700 for electronic ignition out of his cortina so we'll see if that works.

On todays to do list is flare the other guard on the car and get the rear windscreen in aswell, just gotta find that illusive dremel bit i put down that grew legs and walked off, haha.

sooooo, nothing much has really been happening. I got my clutch and got my flywheel machined. The people that did it said that its not a flywheel out of a k40 because it has a "step" in it. I just told the woman i pulled it out of a k40 haha. Anyhoo, HD Exedy Clutch should do the trick.

image0440y.jpg

So got this far, about to put the flywheel on and the gearbox to finally put the engine in the car and i look down and see i've got 5 bolts.... and there are 6 holes! :bash: my extensive filing system just did not work! So the engine had to sit like this for a little bit while i pulled out the other engine from the corpse car and pull a flywheel bolt off it.

image0445.jpg

Got one side of flaring done. Looks alright, i'd never done it before, did it on my slant face guards and it looked good so thought i'd give it a shot, gotta learn somewhere right?

image0449.jpg

image0450.jpg

So tomorrow on the agenda is get some grease and some loctite to put my gearbox on and hopefully my engine in.

Slowly slowly

no need to run a resistor with a electronic dissy.

resistor lowers the voltage to the coil when starting so it starts easier.

I'm running no resistor/capicator on my electric dissy

Bit backwards there Ev.

The resistor lowers the voltage (to about 8v) to the coil so your points don't arc and die.

When starting the resistor is bypassed allowing a full 12v to the coil to aid starting.

No resistor required as the pickup in the electric dizzy's can cope with 12v all the time.

Alec, Great project man, good to see it all documented. Keep it up!

Thanks man! I'm trying to keep it documented well so i can show my old boy where all my money goes, haha :blush:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, i gotta pull that resistor out of there now, haha, can't be too hard.

okay then, updates updates updates!!!1

So i FINALLY got everything together to put my clutch in. First i lost a flywheel bolt, then i didn't have any loctite or grease, but it all came together.

Here's a few happy snaps for the visually inclined.

Here's my good mate helping me align my clutch, well doing it for me cos i'm lazy haha.

image0461.jpg

Here's the gearbox on and ready to go in.

image0464.jpg

Aaaaaaand VOILA!

image0469l.jpg

image0470j.jpg

I also found these random shocks in the back of one of my corpse cars. They have a whole heaps of Japapanese writing on them and they say KYB on them aswell. How do i tell if they're ok to use? they look a little ratty, but they depress and extend nicely and there is little to no sideways movement. Just try em out?

image0457.jpg

image0458.jpg

Sorry bout the crap pics, they're off my phone, someone decided to steal my camera when i was on holidays.

Other than that, everything's almost ready to fire. I've just been flaring the other guard slowly, it's so damn hot here! :bash:

Oh yeah, the radiator is in and i've wired my thermo fan to a missile switch in the cabin for the time being until i can afford a thermo switch. Should do the trick haha.

Big things happening tomorrow so expect more updates!!!

Oh almost forgot to ask, i've got some wiring problems, first with the alternator.

Basically i forgot to take a pic of how it was wired up before i took it out, haha :bash: silly.

alternatorwiring.jpg

Basically i have these 4 connections and this i what i THINK they are for. If someone could clarify/correct me it would be great! :laff:

A: Pretty sure this is the charge wire and this leads directly to the battery positive (+) terminal.

B: This black wired ring connector runs into the loom that runs to the battery positive (+) but i have no idea what it is for, i assumed it connected to here because it's really the only place that it can?

C: This one pretty much plugged in so i'm guessing it's alright.

D: Is this an earth of some sort? It's connected to that little barrel thing (resistor maybe) but i can't remember where it connects to? or can i just run it to an earth, the cable is mighty short tho, so i'm stumped! :hmm:

Alrighty, now with this part of the wiring loom that comes out of the firewall.

loom2.jpg

So there are 6 connections on this, but i'm assuming that a couple of them aren't used because they could be for an auto (this is pure speculation haha)

So i'm guessing i need 2 connections to the gear box (1 single wire, 1 dual wire), connection to the oil light sender and a connection to the temp gauge.

So i've labelled them:

1: The reverse switch to the gearbox? There's a two wire connector on the gearbox and this is the only two wire connector on this loom so i thought, hey, easy... right?

2: Now this one looks like it connects to the single wire on the gearbox, no idea what it's for? but looks like it is the only one that can reach :blush:

3: No idea what this is? another one for an auto gearbox maybe? can someone clarify this?

4, 5, 6: I have no idea, so one needs to be water temp and one needs to be oil pressure. No idea what way round. Maybe 6 is the water temp, as its at the end and stretches the longest? haha. 4 or 5 is the oi pressure light sender?

Sorry to be confusing guys, just knocked off work and i'm rooted haha, just wanted to get this out so i can finish her up tomorrow.

I had a gander through my haynes manual but its crap and confusing haha, should of bought a Gregories, oh well live and learn.

Ok guys, i'm out. Tomorrow is a big day!!! Cheers for the help in advance! :dance:

Pretty sure all three of those wires go on the same bolt but, the black wire to the canister thing is the suppressor to cancel out stereo static, if its still out a good time to replace as they only cost 5 bucks.

Yellow and red one are the charge and power wires.

If I have time I'll check my loom for you later and see where all those go, gotta get my Coon towed to the mechanic...again. :bash:

Edited by blzbub666

thanks blz, i just gotta get that loom sorted, but i could atleast get my manifolds on cos that loom runs on the other side of the motor :happy:

gunna have to run it in on a stock aisin tho :glare: can't find my 32/36

What is the paint colour code of the blue in the engine bay?

Its a VW/Audi deep blue, it was the only blue colour that didn't look purple in the sunlight. haha

i'll have a gander at the code when i go downstairs and get back to ya

not seen your thread before mate!

very nice work. good to see you getting stuck into it!

should be a fun little car when you are finished!

as for those shocks, you might have something good there!

chuck them in and see how they go. if they are stuffed, but turn out to be a good brand you coudl look at getting them rebuilt. a good shock place will be able to tell you if they are good shocks or not!