Ae82 Seca 4Ac To 4Age Conversion

35 5K-IT

Ok, so, 1986 Toyota Corolla AE82 seca 5 speed manual. Standardish 4AC motor in it atm, has rebuilt and ported carbie and a shaved head. If anyone wants some parts, feel free to ask. (:

But back to the point, the motor had decided to blow yet another head gasket due to the lack of maintenance of the previous owner. So I started looking around the internet and wreckers for a ruff idea on what it will take and how much it will cost to do a motor swap. A 4AC second hand mind you, was around $500 to $800, which is ridiculous in my opinion.

I have found a running 4AGE with warrantee that also includes wiring harness ECU for $900 delivered to my door, it is out of the same model rolla which will hopefully make it slightly easier.

In my research on the internet I have found out that it currently has a C50 gearbox and that and "C" gearbox fits with 90% of "A" motors. is this true?

and that my main task would be fuelling, I was thinking that an out of tank pump would be the easiest and cheapest option. As the car for the moment is being used as a Learners/P platers car it doesn't need to be too racey, I can deal with that latter down the track. Opinions?

I will be doing the conversion myself and will document and take plenty of photos because I couldn't really find much about this conversion on the internet, which I was surprised about!

Any help would be much appreciated (:

Rion.

Oh and I will upload some pics of the car in its current state when I go home.

Members dont see this ad

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Series:A/Model/AE80/82/Converting_To_Twincam

In all honesty, you can buy a twincam corolla for under 900 bucks and if the shell you have is something you want to keep then pull all of the twincam gear (link above) out of it and put it in your shell, the C50 will fit and has no dramas copping a hiding behind a GE.

I understand where your coming from but the car doesn't come with a warrantee, and to find a 4age same model will take a while to find and obtain from where ever it is located.

I will have a look around though and thanks for the advice and link will come in handy :D

I understand where your coming from but the car doesn't come with a warrantee, and to find a 4age same model will take a while to find and obtain from where ever it is located.

I will have a look around though and thanks for the advice and link will come in handy :D

You really are doing it the hard way, if you buy the engine then try to track down a twincam that someone has pulled the motor and box out of or has a stuffed motor because you will need the rest of the twincam gear.

Keep it factory, including your fuel system.

Make sure you know which sensors, ignitors etc are meant to come with the loom. You will have a bit of fiddling to splice it into the body loom. I have done this exact same conversion on my wife's old car, and If I was you, I would by a crappy donor car, which has the correct looms, engine management, brakes, fuel system etc etc.

Otherwise you are going to have a lot of headaches, and far more expense. Plus it probably wont run right.

Have also converted an AE86, so I know what I'm talking abou.

Edit: Your warranty is likely a waste of time too, I wouldn't get too excited by that. Out of interest, where are you getting this motor from. Toyospares? Buyer beware.

Edited by parrot

Edit: Your warranty is likely a waste of time too, I wouldn't get too excited by that. Out of interest, where are you getting this motor from. Toyospares? Buyer beware.

Ummm, lets say that hypothetically I bought an engine from Toyospares (paid more than $900 though)....by the sound of things I should be a little worried about now??

Edited by carbonboy

No, not saying that. What I'm saying is that if anything went wrong with it, they will likely screw you around and eventually give you any old shit they have lying around the place.

The engine you have may be a good one, but just by chance, not because they have actually tested it or anything. Their idea of a test was connecting it up to a battery and a squeeze bottle of petrol to fire it up. I actually saw them destroy a motor that way once.

At the moment where I'm working my bosses have over 25 years of experience so I should be right with getting a good motor and if I do have any issues with warranty they should be able to sort it out fairly quickly.

I will do some pre checks on the motor before I even think about putting it in also.

As for getting a doner car, what parts are there that I will need for the motor swap? Minus fuel system which I have already figured out what to do.

Remember that this isnt going to be some street race car, it will only just pot around for a learner's car, the motor doesnt weigh much more then the current so brakes shouldnt be an issue, the fastest it will be going is 110 on freeways.

Oh and the price I got for the motor loom ECU and such was from Toyrolla.

At the moment where I'm working my bosses have over 25 years of experience so I should be right with getting a good motor and if I do have any issues with warranty they should be able to sort it out fairly quickly.

I will do some pre checks on the motor before I even think about putting it in also.

As for getting a doner car, what parts are there that I will need for the motor swap? Minus fuel system which I have already figured out what to do.

Remember that this isnt going to be some street race car, it will only just pot around for a learner's car, the motor doesnt weigh much more then the current so brakes shouldnt be an issue, the fastest it will be going is 110 on freeways.

Oh and the price I got for the motor loom ECU and such was from Toyrolla.

As much as I agree, It doesn't matter, it is a requirement to use the brakes that was released with that engine.

The mrs car still has the single cam brakes and it pulls up very quick (even at track speeds :cool: ) as I have been to lazy to put the twincam stuff on.

As much as I agree, It doesn't matter, it is a requirement to use the brakes that was released with that engine.

The mrs car still has the single cam brakes and it pulls up very quick (even at track speeds :cool: ) as I have been to lazy to put the twincam stuff on.

Ahhh, I see, well the cars already rego'ed so I should be alright then d: