3k Is In Now It Won't Crank Over

GBKE15

That's the next step.

Later this weekend maybe, I'll pull the flywheel and try to see if it turns and then check the teeth on the clutch that I installed and see what happens. I bet I'll have to go with a new clutch and get the old flywheel resurfaced. I hope that will fix the problem.

G

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE:

Okay, so I pulled the flywheel and everything is good now the 3k flywheel and the k flywheel are definitely different. I have a new clutch coming and the flywheel is going to be turned.

Now I have another question. Since the flywheel has to be turned, should I have it lightened as well? Is the difference between a lightened flywheel and a standard flywheel that much different and is it worth it on a basically stock 3k?? If so, what weight should I try to get it to?

Thanks for all the help on this topic. The progress has been going well here lately and I should have some pics up soon. I got the rx7 wheels done up and they are strong looking, painted met. silver then polished the outer lip and cleared them and filled the mazda logo in. I filled the holes for the chrome trim on the sides and hope to have the bonnet rust and rust at the bottom of the doors fixed up soon. Back on track and things are going nicely..... :jamie:

Glenn

by "turned" i guess you mean balanced? if you're spending the money on a 3k flywheel, get a 4k one from the wreckers, they're lighter. i had my 4k flywheel lightened to 8kg, and i like the quicker engine response and revs. a modified K engine is plenty torqey enough to pull a little ke1x or 2x up a hill

Thanks Jamie. I will have to use the 3k flywheel though. Sourceing a 4k flywheel for me ,at least, is probably next to impossible. I have been to all of the wreckers near me and haven't seen one yet. I'm in the States and anything old enough to have goodies that I can use has been crushed for sure.

Yes on the balanced deal. It looks like it is going to run around $125 us to have t done, just wanted to make sure that it is worth it.

Thanks,

G

(rough pics follow but adequate description hopefully)

The flywheel on the k motor was shaped like this:

"""|

|_

|

|

|

|

|

_|

|

,,,,,|

The one on th 3k was likethis

"""|

|_

|_

|

|

|

_|

_|

|

,,,,,|

I'll try to get some pics up sometime, for now I am planning on getting the flywheel off to the machinist and geting the 3k flywheel taken care of and then getting it all back together.

The clutch on the k was completely shot so I have very little to go on. Is there any difference in thickness on the k and 3k clutch. I am planning on using the 3k flywheel and clutch plate and k clutch (16 splines)?

Thanks,

G

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE HELP.

I am still fighting this swap. There is a little more to it than I thought there would be. With all of the info out there, I thought this was bolt up.

Now that I have had the 3k flywheel turned. The 3k pressure plate is 1/4 inch too short and will not disengage the clutch. What the ____ do I do now. THe k pressure plate has two studs and the 3k has 3 studs on the flywheel. Can I just drill the k pressure plate to fit the 3k flywheel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would liek to get this back together today. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

:lolcry: :( :( :(