3k Is In Now It Won't Crank Over

GBKE15

I finally got around to trying to see if all was well on my swap and now the motor wont spin over. I know there is probably more info that anyone willing to shed light may need but here's what I can think of.

k to 3k swap

3k was rebuilt about 3000 miles ago.

had to swap flywheel and clutch pressure plate from k as the bolts didn't line up with that of the 3k ( I think, it's been a few weeks) I remember swapping them, can't remember exactly why I had to.

Bolted up the t4 trans (factory 4spd ke15 tranny)

I bumped the starter with the coil wire off, no exhaust and didn't want to run straight off of the manifold.

starter engaged but didn't want to turn.

removed starter and it engaged properly so starter seems fine.

I put a wrench on the crank clockwise from front looking at motor and it will not turn at all.

I really don't think that I did anything swapping the flywheel over but wanted some suggestions before I pulled the tranny back off again. The motor was spinning freely before I put it in.

This is probably rooted in the flywheel, but nothing seemed to be out of place when I did it. Are they supposed to be different from the k-3k. If I swapped the bolts and everything would they have been different lengths?

Any help is appreciated. This kinda threw me for a loop.

Glenn

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

clutch/flywheel/pressureplate are different between K and 3K, i can't remember if the bolt pattern on the crank is different, but the flywheels are different weights, and the ke10/k4 driven plate is smaller and has two bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel, instead of the later model three bolt plate

given these differences, it may be that the flywheels have different teeth? though i wouldn't have thought so

dumb question, but is it in neutral? maybe jack the back up and try get the tailshaft to spin, sounds to me like the gearbox has jammed or is just being fussy

That was the reason. I knew it was something. I will try to swap the starters to see if that is it. The tranny was in neutral, but wouldn't it have lunged forward if in gear?

I was just saying the other night how things were going fairly well considering how much time I had actually spent on it. It figures. :harhar:

Thanks Jamie.

Glenn

That's what I was hoping. The swap is too simple for even me to screw up. The only thing scaring me is the fact that the crank bolt won't turn. I'm thinking I may have to spend some time in the garage tonight and try to get it going. I was hping to have it at the muffler shop next week and then order the parts for the brake swap and the suspension next the hit the races and now.................

I am guessing that would be a bad thing. I will try the other suggestions and then tear it back down again to assess the clutch. I'm hoping I'll find it before it gets to that.

Thanks for all the help. This toy better be worth the effort!!

i don't think you could push the clutch pedal all the way in, if it was in backwards

i had this problem when i went to the 4k from the 3k

the flywheels were different and it wouldn't turn over, then the starter got stuck, then it wouldn't shut off, then it burned out, then i got a n.o.s. one off ebay, went through the same thing, then put a gear reduction 4k one on it, no problem.

i would put it in 4th, then push it forward to see if it's jammed

the earlier flywheels have 2 dowels mating to the pressure plate. ke1x and ke2x have the same pressure plate. ke30 on had 3 dowels. they all have 6 bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel.

you would have had to use the early K clutch disk, as it has a 16 tooth input spline to match the ke1x gearbox. most of ke20 onwards had a 19 tooth spline.

yea, if you have the clutch disk in backwards, the clutch will not dissengage. you should still be able to turn the engine over with the box in neutral.

Did you add the fuel pump after you

fitted it. I just had the unfortunate

problem of the bolts i used being

to long. Didn't find out till we

broke the bottom of the motor

down. Just check anything you

have played with since it last turned over

Goodluck, have fun

UPDATE::

Last night I got home and after being frustrated all day I went to the garage to see what I could come up with.

Here's the jist:

*All the spark plugs are removed.

*Jacked up the rear and put the car in 4th and spun the tires. Open diff so the tire just spun no rotation on the ds went to driver's side and same thing.

*lowered car down and while in gear pushed car forward, there was a strange clicking sound like something not fully engaging on trans to engine.

*pulled tranny out and tried to spin the crankshaft, nothing doing still.

I think that I remember why I swapped flywheels to begin with now, the one that was on the 3k was slightly pitted and the one on the k was much nicer looking. I am thinking that there must be more differences between the two flywheels, so my next step is to pull the clutch/pp/flywheel and try to spin the crank. I will check the tooth pattern on the clutch disc to see what's up. Unfortunately, I don't know what year this motor is. This motor was supposed to be in rebuilt running order and I got it from a tech at the Toyota dealership that I work for, so I can't see the motor being farked. If the 3k-c motor doesn't work with me, the K-c motor is going back in and I will dream a little longer of the new motor and Jamie suggests in one of the threads that I read.

The fuel pump was attached to the 3k motor so that wasn't changed.

Thanks all,

G