Removing Chrome Trim

Members dont see this ad

had no trouble getting the gutter trim chromes off (the ones along the top). the way i did it was to put pressure on the very tip of the chrome at the windscreen adn slowly twist it without warping the chrome till it pops off. mine came off, just be gentle (disclaimer, this worker for me, might not for you :blush: )

the ones around the front windscreen you can use a special tool to get off, its like a hammerhead screw driver but i just snapped mine, then went to my local spare parts store and bought some generic replacement clips.

The chromes are always VERY fragile tho, i've done this a few times now (i'm no expert) but i damaged a few before i got the good ones off, always saves to have 3 of these suckers haha

PS only relevant to e7s

what car to start with?? And on the several ke's that i've had i've always just used a flat blade screw driver and gently levered them up and off, either that or get angry and just pulled them off and have never broken a clip yet, maybe it's just pure ass but it works

Yeah theres these special clips inside. I took off the inside door panel trim thing and wound up the window and managed to get to them.

Its a bit of work but the window was in the way with the back windows but i realised you can just pop them off with a screw driver haha.

Just put the screw driver under neath so you can get a hold on it with your hands and you shoud ne able to pull it up with out braking it

Id also like to know about the gutter rail chrome strips on a ke55. Can someone put up a pic maybe? Ill be removing them for a bit of rust repair, and don't wanna f@$k them. Ive got an idea how to remove them, just wanna be sure.

Edited by ae824ate

Re the door ones, take of the inside door trim, wind down the window, lubricate the clips you can see really well with CRC or something, come back an hour later and gently lever them off.

Put a rag in the bottom of the door so stray lubricant doesn't leak out onto your sills and be carful not to overspray onto the door panel

Re the door ones, take of the inside door trim, wind down the window, lubricate the clips you can see really well with CRC or something, come back an hour later and gently lever them off.

Put a rag in the bottom of the door so stray lubricant doesn't leak out onto your sills and be carful not to overspray onto the door panel

I think they may be talking about the chrome trims along the weather channel. (ie. the roof). I wAsn't overly keen on getting them off the 55.

me (OP) was talking exactly about the ones that blueksev and parrot were talking about. cheers boys i will give it a go tonight and see how i go.

I took the windows out completely so it shouldnt be too hard to access. i noticed there is a tab on the outside, do you put hte screw driver there and lever outwards?

I think I would push carefully from underneath. Use only the minimum force necessary. They really should give fairly easily, problem is they rust as they are not anodised or anything. Once you get some give in one, move along to the next one and work it off gradually

Well i did the front trims carefully from the underneath inside the actual door, which worked fine and took about an hour haha.

The back ones i gave up on and just levered them up a bit from the out side and you can just pull them up so you can do it on the front as well i guess.

This didnt damage mine at all or break the clips. Just be careful