Oil Pressure Problems

Banjo

hey, banjo; check the rocker pedastals as well, i am losing a little oil pressure from there

Not sure what you mean there Mike. Are you saying that you are losing oil pressure between the second front rocker pedestal & the head, where oil is fed to the rocker shaft ?

The way I understand it, the oil feed to the rocker shaft is at a reduced pressure, and not at full engine oil pressure. The oil feed to the rocker pedestal & top of engine is fed via the second front camshaft journal. This journal has a hole right through it, so oil is only fed to the top of the engine when the hole in the journal lines up with oil holes in the block, which I presume is once or twice every camshaft rotation. The yellow Toyota engine bible has a picture of the lubrication system circulation that depicts just that.

Someone, might have more insight into this operation, and I'll stand corrected, if I misunderstand this function.

I once cranked a half reassembled 4K over, after assembly, to circulate oil around all bearing surfaces. I remember a squirt of oil emitting vertically intermittently from the oil hole in the top of the block (no headed fitted), that seems to support the operation as I understand it.

I remember some early English Hillman engines, where the oil pump attached to the side of the block. The oil pressure relief valve was also removable from the outside of the engine. The only thing that was not accessible, that required sump removal was the oil pickup strainer.

Anyone that has the worked on an early VW bettle engine will remember that the oil pickup strainer is accessible by removing a round plate in the middle of the base of the engine.

Wouldn't it be nice if all the lubrication system components, were accessible without removing engine or sump.

:jamie:

Members dont see this ad

Mike,

I think I have a set of original 3K cast iron rocker pedestrals here somewhere, that have never been skimmed or shortened.

I can post over to the US of A, if you need. Bit long to wait until your honeymoon here next year !

Cheers !

:jamie:

If you change the height of the pedistals you change the way the rocker applys its load to the valve. Thats why roller rockers have ajustable height so you can minimise the side load on the valve.

I can't remember how theyre supposed to be setup but it might be worth finding out.

stock geometry is generally pretty good for minimal sideloading of valves

increase valvelift 1.5mm, shave the rocker posts 1.5mm as well

i don't think shaving the head would make any difference, that changes the angle and height that the pushrods intersect the rockers, not the angle the rockers wipe the head of the valve