Light Problem

SteveXc

Hey guys, need a bit of help..

I was trying to get my number plate light working and have shorted something.

Had all my lights working but now i have no head lights, dash lights, rear parkers, or reverse lights..

however the high beams, and brake lights are still working.

I checked all the fuses and they are fine, how ever no power is getting to the dash light fuse inside the car.

All the fuses under the bonnet are fine, all wiring seems fine, so I'm stumped!

Any help would be fantastic!

:)

Members dont see this ad

Not sure if its relevant or not but do you have any fuseible links in the vicinity of th battery? An ae82 that I have has 2 seperate links mounted of the positive battery terminal,if you have these maybe one has blown.

All fuses are fine, even replaced the relays under the bonnet. Still nothing.

Only other thing i can think of is a ground..

Bit more info for yous, all lights were working fine except the number plate light, so i took the bulb out to see if it was blown, put it back in and pulled the wire a bit then lost all my lights.

Thought i blew a fuse, but they are all fine. In the boot the wire branch off into two, one set goes to the tail lights and the other to the fuel area (for the fuel gauge and the number plate light. Power is getting to the fuel part and the fuel gauge works fine but no power is getting to the number plate light or to the tail lights at all.

How ever when i looked closer i noticed the 2 wires for the number plate light had then exposed and spliced together, have no idea why.

So question- Would a dodgy ground stop power from reaching the tail lights? or should it still get power? ive checked the grounds i can see and they seem fine but thinking there might be one i can't see..

Or what else could cause this, remembering fuses/relays are fine..

Any help would be great!! =)

cheers steven.

• 3 weeks later...

there is another set of fuses in the kick panel at the drivers feet. it has a separate fuse for taillights, this may solve your problem.

if not, there could also be a problem in the circuit board setup that this same fusebox clips onto.

I had a similiar problem and traced it back to here.

hope this helps.

-Dave

Quick answer to why the previous owner would've had the back lights off is so that he could do somthing illegal and this makes it harder for the cops to see him

Do you have a multimetre handy??

If so then set to ohms and check + to the body with the globe removed

If anything shows up then its a short and will need to be fixed before it damages the alt or batt