Ae86 Front Short Stroke Insert

yeah but you see, if you have the car low, with short stroke shocks in a non shortened strut...at static height (even with the guard is alot lower than stock) the shock may be at 80% bump travel. so when you go over a small bump the shock may bottom out...damaging your shock, and sending you off into the trees.

do you understand why short stroke shocks are used?

by the sounds of it you may as well just use standard stroke shocks.

I'm trying to find this good diagram explaining short stroke shocks, can't find it anywhere!

• 3 months later...
Members dont see this ad

Is the equivalent Excel G insert part number 365100?

Also do you know the insert length of a front SW20 insert? I think the part number may be 365099 for the Excel G fronts.

I've built coilovers for my 71 based on ST185 inserts and it's sweet but I'm about to do it all again for my pano daily and want to have a slightly longer insert. Sucks that I hunt around the net and can't find a chart with all dimensions. I want to make sure i can have a bit of extra height than what the 185's offer, as I actually cut 50mm from the length of the XT130 strut bodies to fit the 185 shocks with no spacers.

I've built coilovers for my 71 based on ST185 inserts and it's sweet but I'm about to do it all again for my pano daily and want to have a slightly longer insert. Sucks that I hunt around the net and can't find a chart with all dimensions. I want to make sure i can have a bit of extra height than what the 185's offer, as I actually cut 50mm from the length of the XT130 strut bodies to fit the 185 shocks with no spacers.

I'm about to make new coilovers as well, but I want to try the ST185 insert. Do you know the dimensions on the ST185 insert?

I have a feeling the SW20 front inserts are shorter than the rears, but I do not know the dimensions of the SW20 fronts unfortunately. Parrot will probably know, he has them in his struts.

Give me a second and I'll check those part numbers for you.

Edit:

Toyota MR2 SW20 KYB Excel G:

FRONT: 365099

REAR: 365100

So you have the correct part numbers.

Edited by rianwest

Can't find the paper with dimensions which I did before install unfortunately. Here is a photo of how mine sits with the following specs.

KYB Excel G ST185 inserts

XT130 Struts, shortened 50mm

HSD sleeve kit (helper springs not used)

XT130 LCA's

Racing logic camber tops

40mm RCA's

185/50/R14 on 14x7 +2

WhiteAE71032.jpg

Obviously just a tad low for a daily pano hence the search for a longer insert. It's a great track setup though, so happy with it.