Ae86 Front Short Stroke Insert

I have had a quick look around but havent really found anything so..

Does anyone know of a short stroke insert out of another car that will fit the 86 and xt130 strut?

I know the st185 and sw20 are shorter but i need short short. Like short enough to keep cut springs captive with the tire

slightly tucking the guard on 13" wheels.

And before someone says it, coilovers arent an option.

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

I have SW20 AGX KYB's in mine, without the need to cut the tube down, as I am using a T3 spacer/gland nut that locates the insert at the bottom of the strut tube.

Therefore captive springs, and basically eliminates the likelihood of bottoming out and destroying the insert.

If you buy the inserts from US ebay, works out quite cheap.

there is a big thread on this somewhere,

I use st204, this and st185 are 60mm shorter

also you know the biggest reason to have a shorter stroke insert isn't for the springs right?

Edited by Sam_Q

Yeah KYBs might be sounding good. Are the excel g's shorter stroke than the standard sw20's?

And yes Sam_Q but I'm still after more than 60mm but if there are no other options, il be going with whatever i can get.

Edited by BlueKsev

I'm pretty sure Excel Gs are a standard stroke, aren't they're just meant to be a direct replacement for original shocks? In KYB AGX, st185 is probably the shortest you'll find that fits; the cartridge is 332mm, extended 490mm and compressed 346mm. SW20 cartridge is 360mm, 542mm extended and 370mm compressed. ae92 cartridges are the same size as st185 although are apparently a bit shorter than st185 when extended, but I'm not entirely sure of this. Hope that helps. And how are you going to be fitting these without making coilovers or shortening the strut or whatever, a spacer? Because I'm quite interested to know what people are using when the say they've "fitted a spacer", coins? bits of tube? something machined up?

Edited by rianwest

I have not heard anyone talk about them for a while but what about Tokico?

I don't think they are available new anymore, at least not with Tokico branding. Although if you look at the bottom of a TRD insert.....

I did look for some before I got my AGX's

I'm pretty sure Excel Gs are a standard stroke, aren't they're just meant to be a direct replacement for original shocks? In KYB AGX, st185 is probably the shortest you'll find that fits; the cartridge is 332mm, extended 490mm and compressed 346mm. SW20 cartridge is 360mm, 542mm extended and 370mm compressed. ae92 cartridges are the same size as st185 although are apparently a bit shorter than st185 when extended, but I'm not entirely sure of this. Hope that helps. And how are you going to be fitting these without making coilovers or shortening the strut or whatever, a spacer? Because I'm quite interested to know what people are using when the say they've "fitted a spacer", coins? bits of tube? something machined up?

This is what I used, but specific for the SW20 AGX's.

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=110

Be careful, there is talk around about using the SW20 rears, but if you use these spacers, you need to buy the fronts.

There are purpose built spacers available you can place in the bottom of the strut tube, but I think most people just get a bit inventive.

some very good info here, i have the sw20 rears in my struts (struts cut to ~332mm)

it all sounds great using a spacer (not cutting to make coilovers), just you can't get the car very low if you use such short stroke shocks in an uncut strut. so you are stuck at high ride height with limited travel. not saying its bad, could work well, just a heads up.

also i would be making sure that your springs don't allow the shock to bottom out, as it wont have the travel of the standard shock/spring combo.

also what is the reason behind not wanting to shorten the strut? you can always shorten the strut but retain the standard spring hat/seats. don't see many people doing this, not sure why. maybe because coil-over kits are so cheap.

Oh so are the cartridges too long or too short to go straight in to the 86 strut?

Those spacers look to hold the cartridge down in the strut tube.

And thanks for the measurements rianwest :thumbsup:

The cartridges mentioned in here are all too short for an unmodified ae86 strut. Those "advanced strut tube spacers" seem like a genius idea, T3 should make them to suit more shocks.

Also I should have said the dimensions I gave for SW20 shocks are for the rears, which seems to clash with what Dave said about his struts being 332mm. I've also got SW20 rears so I'll double check this, I wrote down the dimensions somewhere.

Edit: KYB AGX SW20 (part no. 765016) rear shock cartridge is 360mm

Edited by rianwest

Tokico HTSs are the shortest I can find in a quick look. 476mm extended but they cost heappsss. Ae92 shocks look the go at the moment so I will need to buy or make up a spacer for the top of the strut tube?

Unless the sw20’s are shorter? The ae92s are 500mm extended.

Cheers

Edited by BlueKsev

blueksev, it may be easier for us to help you if you tell us what you are trying to achieve with this setup?

if you want 13" and tucking guards, and you want to have usable suspension travel, that will NOT be possible unless you shorten your strut. (cut and re weld) and from what i can tell you arent keen on cut/welding? correct me if I'm wrong?

Yeah I don't have much experience with a welder and I'm doing this on a tight budget.

I can make up a spacer easy here at home so the ae92 shockies should be fine.

I'm not after too low just sort of even with the guard type of thing.

Not too worried about the inserts i just want them to be reasonably short, I'm more worried about spring rates and camber but i can sort that out myself.