Ke70 Cheap Performance Mods

Hey guys ,

I have recently purchased a ke70 corolla. It is all stock with the original 4k engine , with the 5spd gear box.

I was just wondering if anybody new of a few cheap mods to the engine which could give me a

little more performance.

My budget is very thin and a 4age conversion is just not possible.

Thanks for the help guys , any input would be greatly appreciated :)

I have already thought about getting rid of the original air filter and replacing with an open , stand alone air filter.

Cheers Josh

Members dont see this ad

Electronic dizzy and new coil is suprising much more response and runs much nicer and acceleration is smoother

Also give it a good service clean the plugs up look over the leads and I got told today to block off the exhaust to intake pipe as it reduces power under acceleration but I don't know how true it is but I'm going to give it a shot

If your budget is stretching to an air filter there isnt much. Generally a KE70 is a very basic car to modify.

Performance, with a stock 4k don't expect any for little or no money. Keep it stock.

If you are not on P's get an exhaust and extractors with the air filter.

Lower with some king springs but if you can get some shocks to suit, note: you can't get short stroke shocks for the standard front shocks.

New nolthalane bushes can help handling.

New LCA's (xt130 etc) for front camber.

If you are looking for a really easy cheap solution there really isnt one. Its a combination of a LOT of cheap and easy mods.

The ones I have mentioned are a few, and but far not all of the possibilities. (cams, carbs, head work etc)

Modifying a 4K can cost as much as a 4AGE conversion in some cases

Search some rides threads.

Edited by blzbub666
  • Upvote 1

If your budget is stretching to an air filter there isnt much. Generally a KE70 is a very basic car to modify.

Performance, with a stock 4k don't expect any for little or no money. Keep it stock.

If you are not on P's get an exhaust and extractors with the air filter.

Lower with some king springs but if you can get some shocks to suit, note: you can't get short stroke shocks for the standard front shocks.

New nolthalane bushes can help handling.

New LCA's (xt130 etc) for front camber.

If you are looking for a really easy cheap solution there really isnt one. Its a combination of a LOT of cheap and easy mods.

The ones I have mentioned are a few, and but far not all of the possibilities. (cams, carbs, head work etc)

Modifying a 4K can cost as much as a 4AGE conversion in some cases

Search some rides threads.

Thanks mate for your time and afort , much appreciated :)

My budget is around the 600$ mark . I Don't want to go over just , just try and give it some more power

for the time been.

I have been told that Webber's are good idea ?

How true is that , from your opion ?

What kind of head work do you mean ? , sorry I'm still abit knew to this .

I was thinking of maybe just cuting one coil off the springs and spraying them red , as king springs what cut my budget in half without even touching the motor :(

and I'm also stuck on my P's :( so i the exhaust is risking it :(

Thanks for you time :)

Edited by josh202724

Electronic dizzy and new coil is suprising much more response and runs much nicer and acceleration is smoother

Also give it a good service clean the plugs up look over the leads and I got told today to block off the exhaust to intake pipe as it reduces power under acceleration but I don't know how true it is but I'm going to give it a shot

Thanks mate , i have herd that before , i must buy one :)

And please tell me how blocking the exhaust intake goes :) verry interesting idea .

How much do you think i can pick an electronic dizzy up for ??

Cheers.

Technically yes :) but she needs a bit more power :D

Ok thanks I will look around for an electric dizzy :)

5k conversion sounds reasonable , does the engine just fit straight in or is their a couple if things I have to change like with 4age conversion ?

Thanks guys appreciate this :)

Technically you can't do ANY mods on your P plates.

if you want to get real technical you arent allowed to do any mods at all no matter what license you have, without getting an emissions test etc. (as far as i know)

the thing about putting a budget on your car mods is that it is completely unrealistic.just start researching, and as you get an understanding of what is a good idea and what is not get on the look out for parts. saying "i have 600 to spend on mods" is a bit silly, as mods are done over a long period of time (usually), circumstances change etc.

pluss you don't get much for 600, you will be lucky to get a remotely decent exhaust for that.

example, you go the electronic dizzy and new coil route.

new coil: 50 (GT40), dizzy: (say 100 2nd hand)

sounds great? 150 bucks. you go to install dizzy, you find leads and cap aren't so great, buy new ones, another 100bucks.all of a sudden you have just spent $260bucks on a simple dizzy replacement. which is almost half your budget.

maybe i am just unlucky, but for me almost every time i go to mod my car, it costs heaps more than it is supposed to, and takes heaps longer. admittedly i do try and do things properly each time, but still i have no good luck that is for sure.

If you want cheap mods, try to remove everything that the engine drives. Things like the engine fan and fuel pump can be replaced with electric versions to remove the load they place on the engine. Up your timing from the factory settings, drill holes in the aircleaner housing or create a duct so it draws cooler air from outside of the engine bay. Port match the inlet and exhaust manifolds to the head and if you have the cash get the head skimmed to up the compression. Individually they may not make much of a difference but if you add up a lot of little things......

Something people overlook is removing weight. If you make the car lighter, you will go quicker :yes: so get all of the rubbish out of the back seat and go crazy with a hole saw in areas that can not be seen easily and are not structural to the car.

If you want it to handle way better upgrade your sway bar

I have choppies in my ke70 ATM and a 19mm rear sway bar and it handles crazy better I can sell you a rear sway bar kit like mine for $100 and all u need to do is bolt it straight in