Carby'S!

d4ng3r

So i have been looking around for some sidedraft carbs and am shocked to see how expensive they are.

Now i was wondering is it normal for a pair to set you back 1200+?

Twin 40 DHLA Dellorto carbs, 40mm Solexes and the Twin 40 DCOM Weber are the ones i have found, is there anything else i can use to get the same result but cheaper?

eg: off a alfa or dato or something and use a diff adaptor plate ?

Any help would be great cheers

Members dont see this ad

A brand new pair of DCOE 40 Webers will set you back about $1200a pair out of the box, plus linkages, plus manifold, plus filters, plus dyno time.

Second hand, the going rate for a pair of Webers is about $500- $600. You should now get these rebuilt, plus linkages, etc.

Dellortos are a bit cheaper, and can be found for as low as $250 a pair. Rebuild to follow, etc. Note, Dellortos are more expensive to get parts for than Webers. Everything is around twice the price, and you need two/ four of everything if you're going twins.

I don't have a high opinion of Solexs, therefore I don't know what they cost second hand, nor do I care.

Another thing of note, the car WILL require dyno time. You can get a half decent tune off the bench, but you will never get them perfect unless it goes on the dyno. After that, you should NEVER have to touch them again.

It is unlikely for you to get away with putting twins on for under $1000. Budget $1500 if you want to do it properly.

Then find a long tunnel, drive through it and listen to the induction noise. Turn around. Repeat. Several times. :)

I personally prefer Webers (I own three sets), some prefer Dellortos. One or two freaks like Solexs. It's up to you which at the end of the day.

Every think dwarf said is true .also remember that if you buy a set off a alfa etc it will cost a lot rejet them to suit.

Jets ;chokes $30 each,etubes $30each,mains $6 each,pump jets $13,linkage $170,gasket kit $44,filters $60-70 ram flo type.(webers)

You get the idea it adds up and quickly.

So the price 1200-1500 is about right.

don't forget there are also performance and economy types of dellortos and webers.

Me plus 1 for webers,because thats what ive got and like them.

rob

Found a second freak...... ME

I am a fan of Solex's. Now the common man knows Solex that came on the 2T-G motor that fell apart :(

Now if you do your reserch you will find not all Solex fall apart :) They updated the design adn you can get ones that were never OEM and were more designed for racing etc. Some types of Solex are:

S5, S4, T, R, etc.

I use solex. So far I have hit $1200. I have 2 fully rebuilt with base tune. This includes my fuel setup, manifolds, linkages, gaskets, spacers, ram tubes, filter socks, carbies.

I was anal on the over haul of my carbies I got ALL NEW jets and idle screws floats gaskets everything from Japan. I lapped carbies square and to same height I polished them etc EVERYTHING. Took over 6months to do but well worth it.

So any option you go with for carbies will cost big $$ to get going right. But as said above set and forget :)

Cheers

Cameron