Toyota Tercel Driveline In Ae82 Seca

3lud13

My mates just given me the idea of putting a tercel driveline into my corolla and I'm thinking well all wheel drive could be abit of fun. Have learnt that the tercel shares many parts with the corolla and is quite possibly a simple bolt in job. Just looking for abit of info and advice and whatnot from other forum members.

Members dont see this ad

My mates just given me the idea of putting a tercel driveline into my corolla and I'm thinking well all wheel drive could be abit of fun. Have learnt that the tercel shares many parts with the corolla and is quite possibly a simple bolt in job. Just looking for abit of info and advice and whatnot from other forum members.

Sadly, nope, otherwise it would've been done a few times by now :) (if someone has done this, feel free to correct me, I'd love to see it! :yes: ) Would dare say you'd have to customise/mix n match pretty much everything (bar engine mounts?) to make it fit/work. Think different wheelbases/driveshafts, the fact an AE82 exhaust tunnel isnt quite large enough to cope with a tailshaft as well as an exhaust & the rear diff would be an ass to fit :(

Having said that though, if you do go down the path...PICS!!! :D :yes:

Edited by carbonboy

Probably thinking of the AE95R, which isn't technically a Tercel, but it does have an east-west AWD driveline. None of which will bolt into a FWD rolla. Different floorpan.

Unless of course you DO have an actual Tercel, (AL25) which have a completely unique north-south fwd/awd driveline and are in no whay compatible with an AE82, whatsoever.

So either way, no.

I just thouht it may have been possible as the tercel was built from a corolla floorpan all parts came from the toyota range and the only thing that was specifically built for it was the transfer case thats what my research dug up this afternoon so thought I would ask how possible it would be if you had both a complete tercel and a complete ae82 sitting there figured there couldnt be to much custom fabrication required. But was just an idea I havent decided to go ahead with it yet and kindof just looking atm

I just thouht it may have been possible as the tercel was built from a corolla floorpan all parts came from the toyota range and the only thing that was specifically built for it was the transfer case thats what my research dug up this afternoon so thought I would ask how possible it would be if you had both a complete tercel and a complete ae82 sitting there figured there couldnt be to much custom fabrication required. But was just an idea I havent decided to go ahead with it yet and kindof just looking atm

Your fun would be limited, from what I know the gearbox/transfer case isnt compatible with a 4AGE :(

There would be a lot of fabrication required :yes: i.e installing a rear diff in a car designed for FWD.

There's a US guy (who calls it his "bad idea") on ae82.net who's attempting to put the celica all-trac 4wd system into an FX-GT :blinks: Having seen some of his previous work I dare say he will succeed, bugger all chance of having one on the road here though :(

Edited by carbonboy

You haven't told us which Tercel you have yet...

If its the AL25, it has NOTHING in common with the AE82. The engine's facing in the wrong direction for starters.

If its an AE95R, you have a better chance, but you'd still need to use the entire floorpan from the 4wd, plus adapt the front subframe to the AE82.

They are all very, very different cars.

well if you check the wiki on tercel it says

Tercel was the first front-wheel drive vehicle ever produced by the automaker, establishing a layout and frame that was later used in popular Toyota models. For example, Toyota Corolla E80's frame is almost similar to AL20 Tercel's frame. Also, Toyota designed a new A engine for Tercel, attempting to achieve good fuel economy, and performance as well as low emissions at the same time. Choice of body styles increased as well, with the addition of a four-door sedan.

so my theory atm is if you had an e80 series corolla which is an ae82 and then if I got a al20 series tercel yes the frames aren't identical but they are similiar so you shouldnt have to much to custom fabricate.

Currently it is just an idea that I am looking into and I don't have a tercel but the idea of an all wheel drive corolla is sounding interesting.

Ah I see where you're misunderstanding... And I can assure you the frames aren't even remotely similar.

Don't believe the wiki, the AL25 shares more in common with the KE70 than the AE82.

In fact, you can pretty much bolt the AL25 driveline into a KE70/AE71 with a bit of trans tunnel massaging. The bonnet won't close, but it'll fit.

And that there is the fundamental difference... The AL25 is a RWD converted to 4WD. It has a north-south engine.

AE82 is FWD east-west, which means it doesn't even HAVE a transmission tunnel, or room for a tailshaft, or anywhere you could attach mounts for a rear differential.

Also the AE82 has a front subframe instead of load bearing chassis rails like the AL25. Remove that, you remove the structural integrity of the entire front half of the car.

AL25 driveline:

post-1955-0-56527300-1308634926_thumb.jpg

Edited by 7shades

so my theory atm is if you had an e80 series corolla which is an ae82 and then if I got a al20 series tercel yes the frames aren't identical but they are similiar so you shouldnt have to much to custom fabricate.

Currently it is just an idea that I am looking into and I don't have a tercel but the idea of an all wheel drive corolla is sounding interesting.

The AL20 is not a 4x4, it is a FF. The AL25 was the code for 4x4.

The AL20 is not a 4x4, it is a FF. The AL25 was the code for 4x4.

Which is the only variant of the Tercel we got in Australia, and seeing as he wants to convert to 4WD, the only one which is relevant.

But even the AL20 are north-south though despite being FF.

so the bottom line is turning a front wheel drive wehicle into an all wheel drive isnt going to happen without alot of custom fabrication. Now if I had a rear wheel drive corolla it would be slightly more possible but still alot of work this is what I actually believed to be true in the first insance but I was finding info to put doubt in my mind and my mate was adding to that doubt saying it can't be that hard look how many all wheel drive vehicles toyota put out something has to almost bolt straight into an ae82